34T single ring chainset for 4X build...?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just pricing up this (probably post-summer) build.

it's gonna be 1x9 set-up and I want a 34T ring. Anything I should be looking at?

Cheers.
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have an e13 Guidering on the Voltage it is as light as plastic and is perfectly circular, so much so the whole drivetrain feels smoother. Some of the anodising has worn off the teeth but otherwise it is holding up very well
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I use a Middleburn SS specific ring on a Truvativ Stylo chainset as it doesn't have the ramps and pins that a "normal" middle ring would have so doesn't try and slip the chain when it's across at the extremes of the block. You'll probably run a chain retention system anyway so it's not essential but it helps. (It also means all the teeth are "complete" instead of having some of them profiled to help slip the chain so in my small mind that means I've got a proper 34 tooth instead of the 31.5 you normally get!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I use a 34T Blackspire 7075 series on the Reign, with a brian lopes chain device.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54366
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • felix.london
    And what crankset/BB are you using with that?

Trek Session 8
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    And what crankset/BB are you using with that?

Saint Double down to 1 ring with Saint BB, no issues I did have the Superstar plsama chain device but it was a poor fit.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughters running a 34T EnVy ring on Deore HT2 cranks for her 1x setup, bash and N-gear jump stop and a blackspire stinger.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    Well it's either get a Truvativ Hussefelt and swap the ring for one of the 34T mentioned (adding another £30 to the price) or just run it as is with the 36T - could be a struggle on some of the climbs.

Or get this RaceFace 32T XC single set

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50063

I do have an old Deore triple but I really wanna go external BB.

Anyway it's looking good. Coming out at around £600 for a Nukeproof Snap that will have Marzocchi forks, Deore gears & brakes, Sun Rims, 2.35" Kenda Small Block 8's, Superstar & Specialized bits & bobs, Sixpack chain device

- that doesn't include the £120 for a set of XT brakes to free up the Deore's that I'm currently using :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    adding another £30 to the price:
    Or £25
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-thirteen-E1 ... 20c4eab5f4

Being patient can pay off, my daughter got her EnVy for just under £13! (yes new)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.