Achilles pain - help!!

Sevenfold
Sevenfold Posts: 86
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Having has a week & a half off the bike due to a much needed holiday, I completed the Staffordshire Lanes 102km audax last Sunday totalling 82 miles including ride to/from the starting point. No issues that day but a little pain in the right heel area on Monday during my commute which worsened yesterday (Tuesday) to the point where I can hardly walk. I have never had any injuries before - & have my next 160km audax in May followed by a 4 day 400 miles ride to Luxembourg in June. Obviously I am concerned that this will not right itself by then.
Has anyone had similar issues? Is it just a case of ice/rest/ibuprofen or is there anything more I should be doing? Trying to get into the doctors is a bit of a joke...

Thanks to any & all who respond.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Is it only the heel or achilles area as well?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Sevenfold
    All in the achilles area. Currently using ice but am worried it will basically mean I will be off the bike for the foreseeable future - 2 to 3 months I suspect. :cry:
  • Deep transverse frictions can help if it is a true tendonitis but you would need a physio to both diagnose it and then treat it - sorry
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Ibulieve ibuprofen gel is very good (max strength stuff, 3 times a day). Works very well but agree with the above that t'internet diagonosis won't help. The last time I had achilles issues I went to a very good sports physio who said the best way to treat achilles problems is before you get them by regular stretching after exercise. OK, that pearl of wisdom didn't help me much then and it won't help you now but worth bearing mind for the future. Best of luck, there are many types of injury and this one may be on the minor scale and you could be back out just after the rain stops.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Sevenfold wrote:
    All in the achilles area. Currently using ice but am worried it will basically mean I will be off the bike for the foreseeable future - 2 to 3 months I suspect. :cry:

Ibuprofen gel and tablets.
    Use ice for about 20 mins at a time, twice a day if poss'.
    Keep foot up and supported when poss'.
    Try not to walk heavily on your heels, more of a bounce/roll through your toes.

Exercise by keeping both feet flat on the floor, take weight on front leg - injured one behind and stretch achilles by leaning forward onto front leg. Swap and do this for uninjured leg as well, to keep things even/equal.

Bring back injured leg in from that position until it is about 9 inches and to the side of your other leg. Gently bend your knees down with weight on good/front leg and gently stretch bad achilles.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • The advise re ice etc is good * re reducing the inflammation but you also need to deal with any scar tissue or mechanical problems (cause or consequence) - one of the best things for treating this is eccentric release and stretching but I don't think anyone could teach it over the web.

* Watch out if taking oral anti-inflamms (brufen etc) though that you follow the advice on the patient information leaflet carefully as they can be rough on the stomach and interfere with other meds and conditions.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Have you changed your shoes (cycling or "normal") or bike position recently? Or do you pedal with a very "toe-down" style?
    A few years ago I developed a severe pain in my Achilles which was tracked down to the heel tab on my cycling shoes irritating the back of the tendon on every pedal stroke. Thankfully the pain went after a few days and a couple of quick cuts with a Stanley knife made a notch in the heel tab of the shoe so it never recurred.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    A few years ago I developed a severe pain in my Achilles which was tracked down to the heel tab on my cycling shoes irritating the back of the tendon on every pedal stroke. Thankfully the pain went after a few days and a couple of quick cuts with a Stanley knife made a notch in the heel tab of the shoe so it never recurred.

I've seen this happen with people in running shoes or trainers with that shaped bit at the back that's supposed to cushion the tendon (sory of like a W shape) - sometimes it actually just increases both friction and the parts that are rubbed. As Dan says cut it off or avoid when buying!
  • Sevenfold
    Thanks to all posters. The pain has eased a bit though still present & I am keeping as much weight off my foot as possible. Doctors have said rest, ice & anti-inflammatories but will probably go & see a physio once the pain has subsided - any recommendations in the Birmingham area?