another canyon nerve am question?

barty81
barty81 Posts: 145
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, so close to buying a canyon nerve am 7.0, but a part of my aching brain is telling me that the travel will be too much for my needs. i will be mainly riding trail centres doing red/black with maybe a few cheeky d/h runs thrown in. so my question is xc or am? would i see many benefits by going with the am over the xc, especially when the head angle is half degree slacker. also is the rockshox reverb a worthwhile upgrade? would i need to shorten the hosing on it?

any advise from owners of the xc/am would be much appreciated!!! cheers
Giant xtc
Canyon nerve am 7

Comments

• poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    If you are going to do mainly trail centres then I would go for the XC and not the AM. Personally, after using a Reverb for a while I wouldn't want to ride without one on any bike.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Which trail centres will you be riding? I bought a Canyon Strive (160mm) and it's fine for trail centres and all day rides. I like having the extra travel for the quicker, rockier descents and I'm not worried about the extra chunk riding up the hills.
  • barty81
    hi woody. trips to wales/scotland trail centres, but i live in norfolk so mostly riding thetford, which is basically flat singletrack (going to keep my hardtail for there) im sure the strive would be too much for my abilities at moment. maybe in years to come a enduro bike will be on the cards. i see alot of people go for the am over the xc because they are scared of having that lack of travel for accasions and i can see myself falling into that trap
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    I went for the AM over the XC but that was because I wanted more bike than I'll probably use. I've never regretted the decision but then again I've nothing else to compare it against so don't know what I may be missing :)

Regarding the Reverb, all I can say is get one, I love mine and if I ever buy a different bike it will be the first thing I add. Got mine from bike-discount.de for £175 all in

HTH

Jim
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • barty81
    swaying towards the reverb.but i havent got the balls to ask the missus for more money.she's already sulking because im wanting to spend 1700 as it is :)
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • Woody80
    The Reverb is an awesome piece of kit! I use it all the time. Don't Canyon discount them as an optional extra?
    If you're keeping the hardtail for flatter rides I'd be tempted to go AM for the bigger rides. Particularly if you want to do a bit of DH? I bought the Strive mainly because I booked a week in the Alps and want to up my riding to the level that the bike is capable of! I'm not there yet but am trying!
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Woody80 wrote:
    The Reverb is an awesome piece of kit! I use it all the time. Don't Canyon discount them as an optional extra?
    If you're keeping the hardtail for flatter rides I'd be tempted to go AM for the bigger rides. Particularly if you want to do a bit of DH? I bought the Strive mainly because I booked a week in the Alps and want to up my riding to the level that the bike is capable of! I'm not there yet but am trying!

Quick question.

How do you like the Strive? Do you feel it is too heavy at the weight of 14kg to go uphill or uphill trail riding?

Would you wanted to go for something lighter such as the Nerve AM?

The seat post is extra cost at £170 from Canyon themselves. Which means you losing out on the orginal seat post if you can get it from Bikediscount.de for £170.00 all in.

They know how to make the money.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I have been oscillating between the nerve xc and am as well. I am going for the strive as I have a ht already and will be keeping it like you. The strive can be for balls out duties and will do almost anything I would be able to throw at it plus has masses amount of headroom for euro trips.

The prices are quite simIlar when you spec them with the reverb
  • barty81
    i understand that if you were to buy the reverb as a extra from canyon it doesnt come as fitted. if after i fit it would i then have to shorten the hosing or is it a good fit for lets says a 18.5 inch frame?
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • Woody80
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Quick question.

How do you like the Strive? Do you feel it is too heavy at the weight of 14kg to go uphill or uphill trail riding?

Would you wanted to go for something lighter such as the Nerve AM?

The seat post is extra cost at £170 from Canyon themselves. Which means you losing out on the orginal seat post if you can get it from Bikediscount.de for £170.00 all in.

They know how to make the money.
    I love the Strive! I don't find it too heavy, it doesn't climb as well as the Zesty I had but it's not bad by any means. It was fine on the 44km loop of W2 at Afan. My mates stopped because of arm pump on the last descent while I battered down it looking for rocks to jump off!

I don't struggle on the climbs and have never been bothered about being the first to the top so it suits me well!
  • JimboM
    I need to shorten the hose on my Nerve medium but at the moment I've just got a coil in the hose until I'm fully happy with the positioning of the trigger. Apparently there's plenty of Youtube clips that show you how to shorten the hose without the need for bleeding (although this isn't such an issue for me as my Reverb came with the bleed kit even thought the bike-discount website specifically said it wasn't included !)

Jim
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    barty81 wrote:
    hi woody. trips to wales/scotland trail centres, but i live in norfolk so mostly riding thetford, which is basically flat singletrack (going to keep my hardtail for there) im sure the strive would be too much for my abilities at moment. maybe in years to come a enduro bike will be on the cards. i see alot of people go for the am over the xc because they are scared of having that lack of travel for accasions and i can see myself falling into that trap

If you've got a hardtail and you are going to keep it then I'd get the AM, that's what I've done, also the local natural riding around here i.e the peak district suits the AM.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • barty81
    another question for canyon owners.do the brakes come set up british way or the european way? i.e rear brake left hand side.
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • Woody80
    barty81 wrote:
    another question for canyon owners.do the brakes come set up british way or the european way? i.e rear brake left hand side.
    British. Brilliantly put together as well
    :D
  • barty81
    the nerve am 7.0 with reverb in mambo green is close to happening.just told the missus and got the... how much and the roll of the eyes treatment,not saying to much now either!! think im there, get in
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • JimboM
    barty81 wrote:

Rear is on the left on mine, but think you can flip the levers if you wanted to anyway
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • Woody80
    barty81 wrote:
    the nerve am 7.0 with reverb in mambo green is close to happening.just told the missus and got the... how much and the roll of the eyes treatment,not saying to much now either!! think im there, get in
    Good times!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    JimboM wrote:
    barty81 wrote:

Rear is on the left on mine, but think you can flip the levers if you wanted to anyway
    which is exactly what canyon does before they send them over here :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    i'm another looking at this decision (from this forum i get the impression everyone and their dog is looking at Canyon at the moment!).

my local riding (wiltshire) is very much XC and whilst I want to get into Wales and up north soon I'm inclined to think the XC will be plenty for a while... on the other hand I don't want to have a shed full of bikes and already got the hardtail for XC so maybe should just go with the AM anyway...

currently I'm thinking that the XC will do for 90% of the riding I do and has better kit at the same price point so i should just go with that as i'd be less inclined to upgrade.

ultimately from everything I've read i don't think there's much between the two and either would be fine for 90% of UK riding (outside DH).
  • I've got a Nerve AM 7.0, was orginally planning on getting the XC equivalent.

Had no regrets so far. As this is my only bike its 'all moutain' abilities appealed to me, although I agree with others as for 90% of my riding the XC would be fine.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL