Help picking a new bike

dazzzer
dazzzer Posts: 72
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Been looking at new bikes 29er this week and i have two bikes to pick from that i like and both have hit my spending limit of -£700. , both bikes are the same price but would like to know which one is best to get ? Feel free to add other 29er W bikes in that price limit if you feel there better ?

1.Felt Nine Sport 2012
2.Scott Aspect 29 Sport 2012

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Felt-Nine-Sport ... _49302.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Aspect-29 ... _49048.htm

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Neither are that great. You're paying a lot for the 29er label.

Why do you feel you need a 29er over a regular 26er?
  • dazzzer
    edited April 2012
    My first bike cost about £200 - 26er i never felt that confident on it on trails I heard the 29er are better for bigger people , I am 6 -foot “4 and my weight is about 15 stone . I guess I was just willing to give the 29er size ago and hope I would feel better with the bigger wheel size -
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    £200 bike might be the reason for that?
  • dazzzer
    £200 bike might be the reason for that?
    could be it only lasted me just over one year and there was lots of damage to it - I was thinking bigger wheel size more stable for me over all but i must admit am still new when it comes to bikes and understanding specs -
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    For £700 you can get a much better spec'd 26" bike than those two, which will most likely be head and shoulders above your current '£200 bike'. What is the £200 bike if you don't mind me asking?

Best bet is to look around some more, don't limit yourself to 29ers, make a shortlist (I'm sure people on this forum will help if you don't know which components are good) and then go and test ride them.
  • dazzzer
    edited April 2012
    It was an apollo type bike I think it was a bit cheaper than £200 if I recall right it wasn’t bad when on the road but off road just not up to the job , Well now I have more cash to spend up to £700- When it comes to bikes and specs I don’t have a clue to be honest, and im not sure I have the time to learn all the parts and work out the best type of parts for the price, I would be open to getting another 26er size I guess I will spend more time looking and not rush in to getting one and take advise from people that have more Knowledge about bikes .
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    dazzzer wrote:
    It was an apollo type bike

I wouldn't feel confident riding anything with an Apollo sticker on pavement let alone on off road trails....

Go and test some better quality bikes or if you have mates with half decent bikes, borrow their's for a couple of hours. and you will be amazed at the difference. You could even lower your budget slightly and look at Carrera or Boardman offerings from Halfords as I have heard good things about these. I think your problem is definitely with quality rather than wheel size. I'm not writing off 29ers.. If you find a 29er which is comfortable and is good for you, by all means go for it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As a 29er
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab2
    Spec wise is much better than what you linked to and cheaper, in fact the spec matches many 26ers for £500 though not the best of them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dazzzer
    Decided to go to a bike shop and have a look at some of there bikes in the shop, I had a test ride on some bikes and I really like how the 29er size feels compared to the 26er. I liked the look of the Felt Nine Sport the man in the shop pointed out another bike that was £50 more -its called Giant Talon 29er 0 both 2012 models. Out of the bikes I tested I like these two bikes the most, although the test ride was on a road surface they both felt and looked great. I guess I really like both of these bikes now and I am sure I will get one of them, i am just wondering what people think of the Giant talon 0 compared to the felt sport and is the extra money worth it.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    As your first decent mtb it is probably more important to use a good bike shop and get a bike that fits well and most importantly you like the ride of.

Yes you can clearly get much better spec from staying with regular 26" wheeled mtb's, but if you tried and liked the 29" beasts then so be it.

At this stage I'd not worry too much about the ultimate spec and buy the bike you like.

Any of the bikes listed will be ok.
  • Buy the one you prefer out of the two and if it is the Talon ask them if they will sell it to you for the same price as the Felt.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If I was going to buy a 29er I'd get this:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOINX529/ ... _29er_bike

They reviwed it (bike built from same frame) on this website and like it.

On One also do a 26'' wheel version.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.