Why single sided road pedals?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Just asking if there is a monster performance gulf from dual sided spds or equivalent? Surely the weight difference is not much more than emptying the receipts out of your wallet and the single sided aspect is just more faff?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Bigger foot-pedal contact area is the argument, although if your sole is stiff enough, it shouldn't make too much difference, as far as I can see.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    SimonAH wrote:
    Just asking if there is a monster performance gulf from dual sided spds or equivalent? Surely the weight difference is not much more than emptying the receipts out of your wallet and the single sided aspect is just more faff?

I don't think there is a big difference provided you have stiff shoes and the tension is quite high. Main reason for single sided pedals on road bikes is that SPDs just don't look right - its vanity mainly!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Some people do find they develop hot spots over longer rides with SPDs over more traditional road pedals (look, SPD-SL etc) - for commuting though, I'd got SPD all the way - your journey's are shorter, you're right, single sided is a bit more of a faff to get into, which isn't a problem on your 4 hour Sunday ride in the countryside, but is a right pain in the behind in stop-start traffic. And then there's the walk from the bike rack to the office to contend with.

If you're thinking of switching to single-sided for commuting, I'd say don't bother.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spasypaddy wrote:
    speedplays.

Shimano M520s and a big wodge of cash! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    speedplays.

knees that dont hurt >>>> knees that do hurt
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I get my mate who isn't as poor as me to buy things I like the look of and report back on their performance. He started with touring SPDs (A320?) and changed to Looks when he bought a new bike. He reckons there's not a huge amount of difference so I'm not rushing to change. Although i did take the old touring pedals off his hands which are a bit more supportive than the M520 but not much.

I'm going to change to road pedals when I need to change my shoes, which won't be for a little while.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I sense that the outside of your foot is better supported with road pedals - the contact width is quite narrow on SPDs. SPDs are great for commuting though. I do plan to ride on road pedals when I do Malin to Mizen.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    speedplays.

That might be a spasypaddy thing rather than a general thing. TBH, I use both Look pedals and SPDs and I can't say I detect much difference - I suspect the rigidity of the shoe is as important as the size of the platform - and Speedplays have a similar sized platform to SPDs as far as I can see.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SimonAH wrote:
    Its a more stable connection to the bike. As RJS said, a larger platform, so when you're out of the saddle it feels more responsive, and you're less likely to get hotspots (In my case I still get them, though not as bad as with my SPDs. I'm open to the suggestion that this is just the placebo affect!). Also, you can get cleats with zero float which makes for a more fixed position for your feet. Personally I find makes for a comfortable spin.

The tradeoff for using road pedals for the commute though is that you wear your cleats out pretty quickly unless you're an ace trackstander. I need to replace my right cleat every 2-3 months as its the foot I set down with when stopped. I use Mavic road pedals/cleats.
  • Much better connection to the pedals, several times when sprinting on SPDs I pulled up and the pedal released my foot making for a less-than-enjoyable top-tube-meets-crotch moment, never happens on road pedals unless they're really worn, which is about once every three months for me. They do cradle the foot better too, but like others have said, if your shoes are stiff enough you may not notice the difference.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Much better connection to the pedals, several times when sprinting on SPDs I pulled up and the pedal released my foot making for a less-than-enjoyable top-tube-meets-crotch moment, never happens on road pedals unless they're really worn, which is about once every three months for me. They do cradle the foot better too, but like others have said, if your shoes are stiff enough you may not notice the difference.

Have you got your SPDs tightened up enough? I had this problem and a few turns with an Allen key sorted it out.
    I'm comfortable with both but one day I may try my SPD-SLs on my fixie to compare. Now that my trackstanding skillz are there I wouldn't wear my cleats out on anything other than the walk to and from the bike.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    speedplays.

That might be a spasypaddy thing rather than a general thing. TBH, I use both Look pedals and SPDs and I can't say I detect much difference - I suspect the rigidity of the shoe is as important as the size of the platform - and Speedplays have a similar sized platform to SPDs as far as I can see.
    a list of the pedals ive used:
    spd
    spd-sl
    egg beaters
    look deltas
    look keos
    speedplay zeros

I use speedplays on my two road bikes and SPDs on my CX (My fixie is currently in pieces so has no pedals and i havent decided which way to go on that one yet).

My knees suffer on the SPDs, i dont feel as connected to the bike, i can pull my feet out of the pedals even with brand new cleats. I have the same winter boots for my CX as i do my road bike so they have the same base plate just different cleat holes. If i thought i could get away with it i'd have speedplays on my CX...
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Because I'm not putting evil MTB pedals on my lovely road bike, might as well buy a hybr*d if you're going to ruin her looks like that.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Shimano XT M780 SPDs = winner, bigger surface area and all the benefits of SPD but use whatever your comfiest with.

I think buying the stiffest shoes you can afford is far more important. No point in SPD-sls if your shoes are like flip flops.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Much better connection to the pedals, several times when sprinting on SPDs I pulled up and the pedal released my foot making for a less-than-enjoyable top-tube-meets-crotch moment, never happens on road pedals unless they're really worn, which is about once every three months for me. They do cradle the foot better too, but like others have said, if your shoes are stiff enough you may not notice the difference.

Have you got your SPDs tightened up enough? I had this problem and a few turns with an Allen key sorted it out.
    I'm comfortable with both but one day I may try my SPD-SLs on my fixie to compare. Now that my trackstanding skillz are there I wouldn't wear my cleats out on anything other than the walk to and from the bike.

I did tighten them to the point where they were hard to get out of, but it still happened on occasions. It's happened once on my mountain bike, with Time pedals, rather than Shimano, and they aren't adjustable at all. Never happens with road pedals.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    UE, almost certainly a stupid question, but you do know that there are two subtly different SPD cleats? Ones that only.release on twist and ones designed to 'panic yank' release? I just wonder if you have the latter?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I did tighten them to the point where they were hard to get out of, but it still happened on occasions. It's happened once on my mountain bike, with Time pedals, rather than Shimano, and they aren't adjustable at all. Never happens with road pedals.

I've unintentionally pulled my foot out of SPDs on a few occasions, and it has always been when the cleats have been worn, and when pulling hard on the upstroke, with my heel being slightly too far out. When this has happened, the worst I've done is bang my thigh on the bars and wobble a bit - how have you managed to collide with the top tube?With non-worn cleats and feet kept in line it's never happened. As road cleats wear so quickly under commuting use, I'd suggest that unscheduled unclips are just as likely overall with SPD-SL.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH wrote:
    UE, almost certainly a stupid question, but you do know that there are two subtly different SPD cleats? Ones that only.release on twist and ones designed to 'panic yank' release? I just wonder if you have the latter?

Believe me, there's nothing I like more than a "panic yank" on occasions, but I think I have the standard SPD cleats.
    rjsterry wrote:
    I've unintentionally pulled my foot out of SPDs on a few occasions, and it has always been when the cleats have been worn, and when pulling hard on the upstroke, with my heel being slightly too far out. When this has happened, the worst I've done is bang my thigh on the bars and wobble a bit - how have you managed to collide with the top tube?With non-worn cleats and feet kept in line it's never happened. As road cleats wear so quickly under commuting use, I'd suggest that unscheduled unclips are just as likely overall with SPD-SL.

Out of the saddle, sprinting, not so well positioned CoG, believe me it's remarkably possible - and I've done it even with new cleats. I would agree that worn road cleats are just as bad, but well, they're worn, aren't they?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    On normal dual sided SPD pedals I have been able to pull out of the pedal whilst sprinting.

In SPD-SL single sided and Look Delta single sided - I have never been able to pull out of the pedal sprinting.

So, in my experience, SPD-Sl and Look single sided have a better contact and grip on the shoe uner pressure.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've pulled out of Look Delta pedals twice in the same weekend on two different tracks bike hired at Newport. Conversely, I've road raced on SPDs with no major issue (though I prefer the more solid feel of a road cleat).

For this season I'm experimenting with Speedplay. So far very impressed; much more solid connection than Look, adjustable float, and because the cleat bases are metal it looks like the cleats will probably last much longer too. Easy to clip in too (as easy as SPD) which is a nice bonus.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Probably more to do with my road shoes than the pedals, but I really do feel like I can get a better power transfer when in the SPD SLs than the M520s. The M520s are the best option for commuting in my mind, however.

I have one bike, two pairs of pedals and two pairs of shoes. It's a mild PITA regularly swapping pedals, but no biggy.