Any walkable road shoes?

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
After a new pair for commuting. Have always used MTB shoes but just wondering if there are any road shoes out there with 2 bolt fitting option that people can recommend? Preferred colour black.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Aren't top end MTB shoes basically the same as road shoes but with 2 bolt fittings and a bit of tread round the edge to make walking possible?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    There are a couple out there, Shimano and Northwave definitely have a pair each - they call them "Touring" shoes. To be honest, they're just MTB shoes with less aggressive tread patterns.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    BigMat wrote:
    Aren't top end MTB shoes basically the same as road shoes but with 2 bolt fittings and a bit of tread round the edge to make walking possible?

Bottom end ones too. The Spesh BG Sport MTB and Road versions are virtually identical
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen
    The problem is I have Crank Brothers Quattro cleats which are 2 bolt, but won't fit a MTB shoe because the lugs get in the way, so I'm looking for a pair of road shoes which are fairly comfortable to walk in.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    My Spesh MTB shoes are starting to look their age - padding is disintegrating inside the heal, and the 'leather' of the straps has split badly, so they rely on the webbing beneath. I may have a look at the 'touring' versions as a good halfway house.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bigmat
    kelsen wrote:
    The problem is I have Crank Brothers Quattro cleats which are 2 bolt, but won't fit a MTB shoe because the lugs get in the way, so I'm looking for a pair of road shoes which are fairly comfortable to walk in.

Take a Stanley knife to the lugs?
  • kelsen
    BigMat wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Don't know if you meant that in jest but I suppose it's an option!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've got a pair of FiveTen Minaar shoes (in fact two pairs as I've stashed one pair because they are discontinuing them). I don't know if it would work for your cleats but my spd cleats sit in a recess in the sole.

To all intents and purposes, off the bike they are like regular skate style trainers with a stiffer than normal sole. You can totally forget you're wearing them - in fact I've worn them all day on days when I haven't, in the end, got on the bike at all. Fantastic things.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It really isn't that hard to walk in road cleats.

For sure, if you're walking two miles it's a pain, but the few hundred metres from the bike parking / garage to the office/front door it's perfectly fine.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    kelsen wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Don't know if you meant that in jest but I suppose it's an option!

You only need to shave off a little bit on the inside edge where it's catching, not chop off all the lugs!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • kelsen
    Yeah, I have road shoes/cleats as well for my other bike. You do have to do a modified duck waddle when walking. The last time I went downstairs with them I slipped and slid down a whole flight of stairs twatting my head off the steps on the way down.
  • bigmat
    kelsen wrote:
    Yeah, I have road shoes/cleats as well for my other bike. You do have to do a modified duck waddle when walking. The last time I went downstairs with them I slipped and slid down a whole flight of stairs twatting my head off the steps on the way down.

Sorry, but :lol:
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    kelsen wrote:

Can you use Crank Brothers MTB cleats? CB MTB cleats can be used with either CB road or MTB pedal
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,090
    I've got some Northwave SPD shoes that look pretty 'roadie' but are fine for walking.
  • BigMat wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

This plus the low ceiling in our bike shed are the main arguments for wearing a helmet.
  • kelsen
    leedsmjh wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Can you use Crank Brothers MTB cleats? CB MTB cleats can be used with either CB road or MTB pedal
    That didn't occur to me! Think you might be onto something there because I think their pedals all use the same mechanism. Will check it out. Thanks!
  • kelsen
    BigMat wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

This plus the low ceiling in our bike shed are the main arguments for wearing a helmet.
    Just so happens I had my helmet and rucsack on at the time, which cushioned the fall. Only thing which got dented was my pride as some woman witnessed the whole thing! :oops:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Spesh sonoma are quite streamlined for MTB style shoes, comfy & walkable too
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Shimano RO87 have dual 2/3 bolt fittings
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?