Help!! Boardman Buying Advice.

carlvalley
carlvalley Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello to you all! I am purchasing a new bike this week, but can't decide between the Boardman Comp and the Boardman Urban Team Mountain bike, any advice and reccomendations would be greatful, cheers!!

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Don't know anything about Boardman's but presume the clue's in the name; the Urban Team will be more suited for tarmac/commuting and the Comp will be more for off road use. So what type of riding will you be doing is really the question
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Hi, thanks for the reply, mainly road use but with off road mixed in a bit, spec wise the team offers better sram x7, the comp has sram x5, avid juicy discs and air suspension forks, forks on the Team ar carbon but with no lock out.
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    If you're not doing anything too technical and mainly riding on road, get the Urban bike, you can always add a suspension fork at a later stage
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • Thanks Coolnick, is the urban more of a road bike because of the thinner tyres? I could easily put thinner tyres on the comp for the same use, then have best of both worlds ;-)
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    No, I'd say the Urban is definitely more of a crossover. If you're riding mainly on roads it will be better than the Comp and is lighter. Stick some proper 2.2+ MTB tyres on it too boost comfort for off road use and it will be decent for all but most technical of routes.

The Comp does have a lockout function on the Epicon fork however but more off road biased where as Urban is more road biased.
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You do know that the Urban Team doesn't have suspension forks?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Tbh I didn't know that, I'm glad you brought it up, thanx!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    That's why they don't have a lock out :wink:

The Urban models are aimed at people who want a tough commuter, and something they can take off road at weekends, so have rigid forks and slick tyres. The non-Urban ones are 'just' MTBs, so have suspension and knobblies.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fergo
    fergo Posts: 56
    Im having the same problem - Boardman Urban MTB or the Team Comp...if you look at HotUKDeal forums there are a few people on there who have bought the Urban MTB and say its good. Currently thinking of the Urban MTB as I only do light trails/woods/canals etc. I but a thread on a couple of days back to see if anyone who has one could give feedback but still waiting....