Please help me make my mind up

clydefrog
clydefrog Posts: 162
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello, I'm new here and have signed up because I'm about to buy a new mountain bike. I haven't had a new bike for over a decade so I've been doing loads of reading to get an idea of what's what, and this is one of the forums that came up a lot in search results and has helped me with some of the discussions and reviews on here.

I've been looking at a few bikes and it's come down to a choice between 2, which are:

Carrera Fury 2012
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab2

Spec:

Alloy Rims: Yes
Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
Chainset: FSA 2x10 chainset 36/24T
Exact Frame Size: 20"
Fork Lock-out : Yes
Fork travel: 120mm
Forks: Suntour Raidon X2 air suspension forks
Forks - Adjustable damping : Yes
Frame Colour: Black
Frame Material: Aluminium
Frame Size: 19-20
Frame-: Lightweight 7005 T6 aluminium
Front Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake
Front Mech: SRAM X5 2x10 front mech
Gear Shifters: SRAM X5 2x10 trigger shifters
Handle Bars: Alloy oversize riser bars (30mm rise) (31.8mm diameter)
Headset: Semi integrated
Hubs: Alloy with Q/R
Number of Gears: 20
Pedals: Alloy platform with toe clips
Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake
Rear Mech: SRAM X5 rear mech (10sp)
Rims: Double wall alloy rims
Saddle: Carrera
Stem: Ahead aluminium stem
Suspension: Front
Tyre size: 2.20"
Tyres: Continental Mountain King
Wheel size: 26"
Approximate Weight (KG): 13.1
Cassette: 11-36T

and the Trek 4900 Disc
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec030269

Spec:

Frame:
Alpha Gold Aluminium w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
Fork: SR Suntour XCR-RL w/coil spring, preload, remote lockout, 100mm travel
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M663 Shadow
Number of Gears: 30
Shifters: Shimano Deore M591, 10 speed
Chainset: Shimano M522, 42/32/24
Cassette: Shimano HG62-10 11-36, 10 speed
Pedals: Wellgo alloy platform
Front Brake: Shimano M446 hydraulic disc brakes
Rear Brake: Shimano M446 hydraulic disc brakes
Brake Levers: Shimano M446 hydraulic disc brakes
Handlebars: Bontrager Low Riser OS, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep
Stem: Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm
Headset: 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Grips: Bontrager SSR
Rims: Bontrager AT-850 disc 32-hole rims
Front Hub: Shimano RM66 centre lock alloy hubs
Rear Hub: Shimano RM66 centre lock alloy hubs
Front Tyre: Bontrager XR2, wire bead, 26x2.1"
Rear Tyre: Bontrager XR2, wire bead, 26x2.1"
Saddle: Bontrager Evoke 1
Seatpost: Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 20mm offset
Weight: Not Specified

My Pro's and Cons for each bike so far are:

Carrera Fury 2012

Pros

-better fork (Suntour Raidon vs XCR)
-prefer the look a bit but this isn't really a major factor
-possibly the brakes (Avid Elixir 1's) but I really don't know

Cons

-possibly the bottom bracket (FSA mega exo, it's meant to be an improvement on the previous Fury's BB but nearly all of the reviews I've seen for them are bad), the chainset is also FSA but that may be alright
-I've heard the paint on them can chip easily but I don't know whether I should read too much into this

Trek 4900 D 2012

Pros

-Shimano Deore M591 chainset and Shimano octalink bottom bracket (better quality than the Carrera?)
-Tires may be better but don't know for sure
-Shimano disc brakes may be as good and less trouble than the Avid Elixir 1's

Cons

-the fork isn't as good, the XCR isn't an air fork and is a level below the Raidon X2 on the Carrera
-It isn't actually currently in stock anywhere near me and I'd like to order it from Evans while they have 10% off (stock isn't in until 04/05/2012), so I can't go and look at it properly
____________________________________________________________________________________________

The fork is really at the moment the only thing stopping me from deciding on the Trek over the Carrera. I see the gears on both as being equal (Trek - Shimano Deore front, SLX rear, Deore shifters - 30 speed | Carrera - SRAM X5 front, SRAM X5 rear, SRAM X5 shifters - 20 speed).

I'd like your opinions on any of these things to try and help me come to a decision between these bikes, thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For the price of the Trek there is the Boardman Comp:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping

This is lighter than either, has better forks, at least a good drivetrain, a great frame. Would be my choice if it fits.
  • clydefrog
    I've already seen it but don't like it much, thanks for the reply anyways but it is definitely between the 2 bikes I've posted. By the way the Trek will only cost me £585 (currently all 2012 bikes have 10% off at Evans).
  • supersonic
    Don't like it why? It is the best bike for your budget. It has the same spec as the previous Fury, and is made in the same factory - by the same people. The biggest difference is the sticker on the frame.
  • clydefrog
    I don't like the look of it (I've seen it properly in the shop) and can't justify spending the extra £50 for pretty much the same spec but with actually older and not as good brakes as on the Fury. The fork upgrade doesn't bother me so I wouldn't want to pay the extra for that either.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    The fork upgrade doesn't bother me so I wouldn't want to pay the extra for that either.

the fork is one if not the most important part of the bike (apart from the frame) not mention the dearest to replace/upgrade..
    why would you not want to get the bike with the better fork...
  • clydefrog
    delcol wrote:
    The fork upgrade doesn't bother me so I wouldn't want to pay the extra for that either.

the fork is one if not the most important part of the bike (apart from the frame) not mention the dearest to replace/upgrade..
    why would you not want to get the bike with the better fork...

Because pretty much all I'll be doing with it is riding on light trails, down canals etc. and nothing rough. Anyways I wouldn't want to pay extra to get a better fork but end up with a bike I don't even like looking at heh. I thought it looked alright when I saw it online but when I saw it in Halfords and the weird shape of the tube etc. I didn't. The Raidon on the Fury will be good enough for that kind of use and maybe even the XCR on the Trek. A lot of the time I'll ride with it locked out. Also from looking at reviews of the chainset on that boardman comp it's pretty poor (http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/cran ... 15crx.aspx). One of the reason's I'm looking at that Trek is I think the chainset, crank and BB will be better quality.
  • This is lighter than either, has better forks, at least a good drivetrain.
    g.gif
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Of the two bikes you looking at I'd definitely go for the Fury. Dont get hung up on the chain set, the fork is far more important.

But if you catch the bug and start doing a bit more than light trails you will really regret not going for the Boardman in the long run. It is by FAR the better bike.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Of the two bikes you looking at I'd definitely go for the Fury. Dont get hung up on the chain set, the fork is far more important.

But if you catch the bug and start doing a bit more than light trails you will really regret not going for the Boardman in the long run. It is by FAR the better bike.

Yep. The 'bug' is easy to catch and you could end up kicking yourself when you're on here next year asking for advice on fork upgrades :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • clydefrog
    Ok, I'll consider the Boardman comp and I'll go and have a proper look at it today but it's a bit more than I wanted to spend as I have to buy a few extras too (lights, lock etc.). Unfortunately I don't know if it'll have the updated Elixir brakes that don't have the bleeding problem, one of the reasons I was looking at the Trek is I heard the Shimano brakes are easier to maintain.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need to stop getting hung up on hearsay.

I've not bled my brakes in 3 years, you sometimes get unlucky though.

Hydro Brakes require so little maintenance it's untrue, just check your pads every so often and replace when needed - that's it.

Save buying lights until october and get the better bike, silly not to imo.
  • supersonic
    The Boardman is the same price as that Trek, hence why I listed it ;-)

If you have a Decathlon nearby, lso consider the Rockrider 8.1:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

Cheaper and better than the Trek.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Buy the boardman to ride, and a big picture of the bike you like the look of most to stick on your bedroom wall.
  • clydefrog
    styxd wrote:
    Buy the boardman to ride, and a big picture of the bike you like the look of most to stick on your bedroom wall.

lol, I like the boardman in photos but when I saw it properly (although I didn't give it a good look) I didn't so much, I'm going to give it another chance though and see how it is in about an hour. I think the Trek is pretty much off the list.
  • clydefrog
    So, does anybody know which has the strongest frame out of the Boardman comp and the Carrera Fury? I've gone and looked at the comp again and it is nice and is now my #1 choice.
  • supersonic
    Very little in it. The Fury has a little more reinforcing, but neither will break if used for the intended purpose.
  • clydefrog
    Ok, well you and a few others have made me change my mind to the boardman (for now) even though I was intent on the two I posted being my only choices, you're not going to get me to buy that Btwin 8.1 though lol. I'd seen it about a week ago from other people mentioning it and does have an amazing spec for that price, but I don't think it's going to happen. :P
  • clydefrog
    Does anybody know if you can take your bike to a different Halfords shop for the 6 week bike service than the one you buy it from?
  • supersonic
    Usually fine, just call them first.
  • clydefrog
    supersonic wrote:
    Usually fine, just call them first.

Yeah I'd have thought so, I don't even know if I will yet but I am getting the feeling from the other halfords that's just a bit further away from me that they will do a better job of putting it together than the closer one lol. I just wouldn't want to have to take it back to that one to get a service as it's not as easy to get there. The guy I spoke to on the phone about coming in to try out the 19" boardman sounded like he was really interested in bikes so I'm thinking of getting it from that store and hope it's somebody who knows their stuff that checks it out. I actually sat on the 19" Boardman Pro as they don't have the comp in a 19" so I need to order it, the pro is the same geometry as the comp though.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Fair play for listening to the advice. Now make sure you are confident the size fits you. A lot of people (me included) go too big on their first mtb, the greater stand over clearance can throw you.
  • clydefrog
    Well I got the bike today, everything seems like it's connected properly and nothing's fallen off it yet lol. What type of things should I be looking to tighten up etc.? So far it seems like they've done a good job of putting it together but I don't really know what to look for.

By the way my elixir 1 brake levers go back up to about 1 inch away from the handle bar grips, does that sound about right? Also what kind of sound should they make?
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    clydefrog wrote:
    Does anybody know if you can take your bike to a different Halfords shop for the 6 week bike service than the one you buy it from?

I've had no problems, bought in Portsmouth (not by me) and serviced in Swindon. They also changed my rear shifter on warranty without even seeing the original receipt.

Also got there £20 for a years unlimited service which covers all the basic checks and set up as often as I want, and then take it to an LBS for anything major - stripping down bb/headset, brakes, fork service. Now i've had it a year i'm learning to do some servicing and fitting new parts myself.
  • clydefrog
    I was going to ask, the manual for the fork (Suntour Epicon) says get it serviced at the dealer after a year/100 hours and also says the bushings should be cleaned and greased at the dealer after 50 hours, how do you go about this? I take it Halfords don't do it?
  • Dave_Lee
    Dave_Lee Posts: 17
    If you order the boardman comp online use discount code NUSAPR12 and you get 10% off so will get the bike for £585 just like the Trek. And believe what the other people are saying, the boardman is a superior bike.

***FORGET THE ABOVE IVE JUST SEEN PAGE TWO AND REALISED YOU HAVE NOW BOUGHT A BIKE :roll: ***
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    clydefrog wrote:
    I was going to ask, the manual for the fork (Suntour Epicon) says get it serviced at the dealer after a year/100 hours and also says the bushings should be cleaned and greased at the dealer after 50 hours, how do you go about this? I take it Halfords don't do it?
    Halfords will just send it off to be done, might as well send it off yourself, or DIY.
    And the intervals are only guides.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools