Headset question

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've checked the tech faq and found out about how to remove forks that have a head set fitting. I tried on my new ride last night (before i read the guide) and the forks didn't budge.

How do i access the wedge that may be in the stem as per the guide? There's no obvious way to remove the cover that is on there other than prising off. I just don't want to damage anything.

I'm really heavy handed and i break lots of things with ease!
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It depends. Pics of what you have?

Or more info. Make model and year of bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Probably just hit the top of the steerer with wood/mallet while in the air to release the wedge
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    it's a carrera xc vulcan, disc spec, 2008/9 i think. When i got it the bars were quite stiff to turn but since i've tried to access the headset and re fixed everything they have slackened a bit but not enough.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A 2008/2009 Vulcan with a wedge? That implies a quill stem and I think these have a "A headset" type headset. Are you on about the star fangled nut in the steerer tube? With the forks out and resting on the floor on something soft (I have a thick rubber floor tile in the shop for this)I use a thick long bar which I rest on the nut and I use my persuader tool to bash it out.

If it realy has a quill stem you will have to clamp the frame securly in a strong stand and pull on the stem hard after soaking in plusgas for a while. Sometime persuading the quill stem out with a hammer is necessary by hitting from below..
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm sure it's threadless, if so a harder whack.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A 2008/2009 Vulcan with a wedge? That implies a quill stem
    Donut, the wedge (shaped ring) that locates the top race to the steerer.....not a quill - cycleclinic - I'll DIY ta!

remove stem and spacers, give the top of the steerer a whack with a mallet (if you only have a hammer, use a block of wood so you don't damage it!) to move it down a little, then when you push the forks back up the wedge usually moves up with the steerer and comes free, remove it and then drop the forks out or rebuild resetting the headset preload.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.