Dropper posts

brandfreak
brandfreak Posts: 137
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Like many other people i'm looking into the possibility of buying a dropper post. I have a Yeti ASR5c, there is around 8 inches of seatpost from collar to seat rail (CB Kronolog requires 7" to get full travel) at my highest position. There's a couple of guys in NATS mtb club who have them (reverb) and really rate them.
I like to run a mudgaurd (crud) in the wet and it's ideal position is 3.5" from seat collar to the bottom of the rear mudguard clamp, this would negate the majority of the travel. How have any of you overcome this? Or do I have to ride with out a rear guard?
Still undecided if I really need one. Extra weight over the Thomson post I have, rides with the club people stop to drop posts if necessary. I would really have liked to have had one last weekend riding at Coed Y Brennin.

What do you guys think? Any advice or opinions?

Comments

• flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    You clamp anything on the top of the post (the bit that moves) as it potentially will scratch the surface and damage the sealing. Reverbs are great - Mine makes a real difference as I like the seat really high for climbing! I don't use a rear guard.
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    The dropper post itself may not need to slide all the way into the frame for you to get the correct ride height at full extention (i hope that makes some sort of sense). It will probably have enough space on the 'non-droppy' part of the shaft to mount your mud guard on and therefore have no effect on the post performance.

The reverb seems to be the one to beat at the moment (although Fox's droppy post has had good first reviews and the new Crank brothers post is a massive improvement).
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Just checked. I've got 40mm of fixed Reverb post available but this amount will obviously change for each rider

My opinion is; a dropper post is the best upgrade (other than forks) that you will purchase. Ever. Everything else pales into insignificance
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    Dropper seat post is without a doubt the best purchase I have made. Currently using ks 900i and it's been faultless. Previously had a Joplin and it was terrible.