Best hydration pack under £45

mountaingoatimnot
mountaingoatimnot Posts: 185
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a smallish hydration pack (1.5-2.0litres ?) for rides up to 3hours duration.

I need to store the usual bits n bobs..

several cereal bars
puncture repair kit
mini pump
phone
keys n wallet
windshirt

but also a ordnance survey map (circa 11" x 5")

I don't need anything too fancy, but black/red colour scheme would tone in nicely with the rest of my gear ;)

I spotted some Gelert ones n eBay but they seem to have mixed reviews, so perhaps i'd be better sticking to Camelbak Classic ?

This Camelback is bit more than i want to pay http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57124 unless people tell me its the best for my needs !!

or maybe this Salomon ? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=80966

Comments

• Ex0dUs
    Ex0dUs Posts: 7
    Decathlon have some nice B-Twin ones, very reasonably priced.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Camelbak Rogue. £41.
  • shad3925
    shad3925 Posts: 22
    Available from Swinnerton's for £41

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/bx2
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    does it include a bladder?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    Halfords have a 3 for 2 offer on at the moment, which includes camelbaks and other hydration packs. So if you need any other accessories, take a look.
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    The Camelbak Rogue is ideal.I have what is essentially a Rogue but with an insulated drinking tube, from their snowboarding range which I picked up in a Decathlon sale for about £20 a few years ago.Its still as good as new,and is just big enough for a shock pump,a multitool,puncture repair kits and a waterproof.

I have used it on day long rides,but I do`nt carry any more than necessary......
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500

I've got this one. It's pretty good all round and perfect for a day trip. Plus the new style reservoir is pretty good and 3ltrs big!
  • shad3925
    shad3925 Posts: 22
    does it include a bladder?

No
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Camelbak Rogue. £41.

Got a rogue myself and it fits all that in apart from the windshirt and map. There is some space though and I do have a spare tube in as well as the repair kit. You can probably get the map in between the bladder and shell.
  • Many thanks for the suggestions.

I have a few outdoor shops in my town, and a couple of Halfords (and TKMaxx) stores within easy reach so i'll drop by and have a look at some examples. I might drop lucky in TKs :o
  • GrenW wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Camelbak Rogue. £41.
    Got a rogue myself and it fits all that in apart from the windshirt and map. There is some space though and I do have a spare tube in as well as the repair kit. You can probably get the map in between the bladder and shell.

Looked at one in Halfords at lunchtime, and its definitely too small for my needs - map a possibility, but windshirt definitely a no-no

kammybear wrote:

I've got this one. It's pretty good all round and perfect for a day trip. Plus the new style reservoir is pretty good and 3ltrs big!

More like it ;)

Did look at a Camelbak Mule at lunchtime (more in line with my needs) although a little off budget.

A quick scan around one TKMaxx store only came up with 1l hydration only backpacks of little use.

Will check my other TKMaxx and Halfords on the way home from work to see what else there is; at present i'm favouring the Gelert 2l pack on eBay, purely because it won't get excessive use and therefore the quality might be good enough.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Tesco do an own brand hydration pack for about 15 quid, decent size, can't really go wrong for that money.

I use a Camelbak but my friend bought the Tesco one and it does the same job as mine..
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Mine was a tip on here from DW Sports for a Mi Fit branded one, usually £15 but I got 20% off for gym members. It is smallish but I can fit everything in.
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Tesco do an own brand hydration pack for about 15 quid, decent size, can't really go wrong for that money.

I use a Camelbak but my friend bought the Tesco one and it does the same job as mine..

I have the tesco hydration rucksack and think its a great alternative to the branded versions.
    The bladder needs a good wash out before you use it but other than that it works well
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    [Did look at a Camelbak Mule at lunchtime (more in line with my needs) although a little off budget.

i got a camelback mule for £50 as it was last seasons colours a while back, so it's worth shopping around and seeing what you can get :D
  • mar_k
    Here's the link to the tesco one

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hydra ... 0-0611.prd

I rinsed mine out with boiled water and have used it a few times and I have no plastic taste
  • Twelly
    mar_k wrote:

Even cheaper than I thought! It's a no-brainer really, they can almost be disposable at that price...
  • mar_k
    TwellySmat wrote:
    mar_k wrote:

Even cheaper than I thought! It's a no-brainer really, they can almost be disposable at that price...

Well a fellow rider off the EssexHertsMTB forum was using one when I was out with them,
    I thought I'd give it ago, Its suprisingly good. The pipe has a cut off switch by the mouth piece, I find it great.
    But you must rinse it well before use
  • Thanks guys

I dropped in another TKMaxx after work, but nothing there. Halfords next door not very well stocked either :(

I have a huge Tesco near the office so i'll investigate their offering one lunchtime soon. I'm used to using a normal backpack rucksack with a couple of 650ml drink bottles, so all these bespoke hydration packs look very small !!
  • Twelly
    I get everything I need in my Camelpak and it is on the small side. Multitool, spare tube, cereal bars, phone, wallet, keys plus 3 litres of drink in the bladder. What more do you need...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you need bigger, the Camelbak Cloudwalker might fit the bill. I got one for £22 on wiggle last year, they arent normally that cheap but I see Halfords does them for £38. I also bought a few of the Tesco ones when they were something like £7 and my son loves his.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    What more do you need...

you know thats a very good point. Trouble is on occassion i have my son with me and you can guess who ends up carrying some of his stuff lol !
    apreading wrote:
    If you need bigger, the Camelbak Cloudwalker might fit the bill. I got one for £22 on wiggle last year, they arent normally that cheap but I see Halfords does them for £38. I also bought a few of the Tesco ones when they were something like £7 and my son loves his.

something like the Cloudwalker is probably a safer bet, some extra space IF i need it.

Thanks
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    shad3925 wrote:
    Available from Swinnerton's for £41

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/bx2

Don't think they've got them anymore, if they have I can't find them.
  • Checked out the local outdoor clothing shops. Almost settled on a 15l rucksack and a hydration bladder but gave tesco a visit. Ended up buying the Tesco one..

• Just about the right size-can store windshirt or midlayer along with tubes,tools etc
    • A quarter of the price of a camelbak
    • Quality good enough for my limited use intentions
    • best value for money :)