It's a toss up

1fatclaret
1fatclaret Posts: 10
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am looking at replacing my Scott Voltage MTB on a cycle to work scheme. I have got a few options but all are web based so can't try them out. Looking for any pro's / cons or experiences that might help me decide which way to go.

Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2011 - £835
Marin Eldridge grade 2011 - £735
Scott Scale 70 2012 - £850
Scott Scale 80 2012 - £650
Moda Rondo 2011 - £895

Any help really would be appreciated. Bike will be used for towpaths, commuting and some trails but nothing too excessive.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Helps if you want advice - not everyone memorises the specs of every bike available. Or can be bothered to google them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    :lol:
  • Fair enough, as you can see by my enormous post count, i am new to this. Sorry to have bothered you.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Rondo has the best spec by far, and also the lightest. If it fits, would not hesitate.
  • Thanks for that supersonic. No way of knowing if it fits as it's miles away. Do the frame sizes by manufacturer tend to stay consistant year on year? So if i tried a 2012 and that fit, then logically the previous year would fit too?
  • .blitz
    Take no notice of people with 1000's of posts :)

For a given price point bikes tend to be very similar. One might have great forks at the expense of heavy wheels but MTB enthusiasts will pull anything to pieces.

If you're thinking of spending £700-800 on a mountain bike for what sounds like fairly mellow riding any of the bikes you suggest will be fine, or put it another way none of them will be significantly inferior to the others. The Scale 70 will be better than the 80 but the 60 is better still etc etc. 'Better' in this context means better on paper and actually owning a thoroughbred racehorse can be a headache in the long term.
  • I am going to ignore everything you have just typed blitz, thanks. :-)
  • cooldad
    1fatclaret wrote:
    Fair enough, as you can see by my enormous post count, i am new to this. Sorry to have bothered you.
    Sorry didn't mean to be rude, it just comes natural. I'm at work so keep things short.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    .blitz wrote:
    Take no notice of people with 1000's of posts :)

For a given price point bikes tend to be very similar. One might have great forks at the expense of heavy wheels but MTB enthusiasts will pull anything to pieces.

If you're thinking of spending £700-800 on a mountain bike for what sounds like fairly mellow riding any of the bikes you suggest will be fine, or put it another way none of them will be significantly inferior to the others. The Scale 70 will be better than the 80 but the 60 is better still etc etc. 'Better' in this context means better on paper and actually owning a thoroughbred racehorse can be a headache in the long term.

Lol. But the Rondo is a cut ahead here, really good spec for the money - look at those wheels!
  • .blitz
    Phwoar!
  • fair enough cooldad, i'll accept your unreserved and heartfelt apology with good grace. Any comments to make on the bikes now the links are up. I have gathered that the wheels on the Rondo are decent.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    SS is right, the Rondo is streets ahead of the others on spec - fork and wheels are great for the money. The fit of a bike is really important though, and there's only one way to find out!

Of course, this can be changed to an extent by replacing stems, bars and saddles.
  • cooldad
    I never disagree with SS. He wields the banstick.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But decent wheels and fork, good brakes, decent mechs (although I prefer Shimano stuff) nice Kore bits.
    But also depends on who you can use under the scheme - some are quite restrictive.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • It our own scheme. I buy it on my company credit card and then do a salary sacrifice over the next 12 months.

Looking like the Rondo is winning here. Can't find a local dealer though so a bit of a worry on the size front.
  • cooldad
    That's what we do as well. Much easier and better than official schemes.
    In that case worthwhile looking at Halfords, for Boardmans, or Pauls Cycles for all sorts of deals.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yup, I had a road bike out of it last year, but they have scrapped the VAT benefit this year i believe so less of a saving.

Looking on Pauls Cycles and there seems to be some bargains to be had compared to list prices, but i don't know anything about Giant / GT / Cannondale which seem to be the main ones.

A colleague used a Boardman bike on a Leeds - Liverpool canal ride last year and it just shook itself to death so am a bit reluctant to go with that one.
  • supersonic
    Bikes shake themsleves to death because the owners have not checked the bolts correctly. Thing is most bikes pick from the same pot of parts - drivetrains, wheels, brakes etc - and the Boardman is usually better than most for the money!
  • cooldad
    Yup, the only thing that normally falls of my bikes is me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Fair enough on it not being the bikes fault that things stopped working, just doesn't inspire confidence when their brand new Boardmans were in tatters and my battered ols Scott was still in fine fettle, just weighs about the same as a small tank.

Anyway, been round a few shops today and sat on a few bikes and realised that it would be a massive risk to buy one i couldn't at least sit on first as some just really don't suit my size and build. Just found a Rockhopper SL 2011 for £600 with a few bits chucked in, it feels by far the most comfortable, looks good in black and white and has decent (if not brilliant) componentry so i have bought it.

Cheers for all the advice. Will update the thread (or another suitable one) with my experiences, good or bad.