Which shoes are the widest?

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I know most people are going to say that I should try before I buy but Inverness isn't exactly bursting with bike shops selling road shoes. My choice is pretty much Shimano and, err, more Shimano.

My feet are pretty wide and, although I can make regular Shimano & Sidi shoes fit by sizing up, they don't feel the most comfortable.

My plan then is to order on-line but, rather than a zillion trips to the PO to return shoes, can anybody point me in the right direction (or at least tell me which ones to avoid).

I know Sidi do the "Mega" range though stocks are always very poor - especially if you're shopping around for a sale priced version. I guess I'm looking at around £150 mark (ideally a £250 RRP shoe :wink: ). Giro's range seem to come well-recommended but I've read that they size-up narrow.

Pointers please!
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I've got Mavic shoes (which I really like) but they are not that wide. I recall the guys in the shop saying they are generally narrow
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Wide feet here; I have Spesh shoes (MTB version of entry level BG model, but presume they have the same sizing throughout the range).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    I've got wide feet and find Northwave really comfy - odd I know given they are Italian but there it is. Lake supposed to be very good too and Spesh ok but not as good for me. Defo not Shimano, Mavic or Sidi though!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Specialized seem pretty good on my wide feet, as do the Sidi Megas that you already know about...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Diadora tend to work for me. Specialized seem good when I've tried them on in the shop. I also have an old pair of Lakes that are a brilliant fit, but whenever I've tried a newer pair I'm between sizes - width OK though.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    What size are you? I have a pair of Sidi Mega's for sale - size 44. PM me if interested.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Specialized

This topic was discussed very recently, but I cannot remember in what section. A site search might flag it up.
  • size 11 and wide feet here - tried a few makes and northwave are comfortable for me.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have very wide feet & my DHB R1 shoes are very comfortable & good value
  • meanredspider
    Cool - thanks for all the responses - it seems like Spesh are the common vote. I'll just have to get over the whole Spesh vs Volagi thing (I'm part-way there as I ride with a Toupe saddle - though the location to my butt seems suitable). I'll also take a look at Northwave, DHB etc
    gtvlusso wrote:
    What size are you? I have a pair of Sidi Mega's for sale - size 44. PM me if interested.

I'm probably 45 in a road shoe - dunno whether a wide 44 would fit (I'm a 10 in a "normal" (walking about) shoe). Let me know if you think they're worth a shot
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    For Northwave, do I need to up a size vs normal shoes?
  • gtvlusso
    Cool - thanks for all the responses - it seems like Spesh are the common vote. I'll just have to get over the whole Spesh vs Volagi thing (I'm part-way there as I ride with a Toupe saddle - though the location to my butt seems suitable). I'll also take a look at Northwave, DHB etc
    gtvlusso wrote:

I'm probably 45 in a road shoe - dunno whether a wide 44 would fit (I'm a 10 in a "normal" (walking about) shoe). Let me know if you think they're worth a shot

Let me check the exact size - I am a 9 1/2 - so, they may be a 45/46 wide fit - will come back to you.
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    I have a pair of Lakes and they do a wide fit - like the Sidi Mega
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"
  • meanredspider
    So I needed to order some GP4000s tyres from Ribble so chucked in some Northwave Evolution SBS Road Shoes in a 45 as a trial (good price & very well reviewed). But still interested in the Sidis if they're the right size.

Thanks for the input - will report back on findings
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    For my little jaunt down the west side of loch lomond and into glasgow I switched to my shimano mtb shoes and after a couple of days they started to pinch me, switching back to my spesh road shoes asap so I would agree they are wider.
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    +1 for Northwave. Very good shoes and comfortable for my wide feet. They come out in normal size. I'm bang on a 10 and mine are 44's and they fit well.
  • meanredspider
    ShandyH wrote:
    +1 for Northwave. Very good shoes and comfortable for my wide feet. They come out in normal size. I'm bang on a 10 and mine are 44's and they fit well.

Well I can confirm this - in Northwave a 45 is a 45 (they'll never be successful as a cycling shoe manufacturer with an approach like that). Trouble is I'm normally a 44 so the 45s will have to go back. I have some Sidi Megas in 45 coming so I'm interested to see how they compare.
  • meanredspider
    Just to add to this, I pulled out the insoles from my Sidi 45s and the Northwave 45s - the difference is absurd. The Northwaves are at least 10mm LONGER than the Sidis as well as being considerably wider.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    And to add if it helps anyone, I am a normal shoe size of 9, 44 in both Shimano and Specilaized road shoes which are pretty similar. Specialized mtb shoes seem a tiny bit roomier although I still use a 44, and in Sidi road shoes I am a 45.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    To add to things
    I'm 9.5 normally, 44 in Spesh MTB, 45 in Sidi boots
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    And to hijack slightly - anyone know anywhere that I can try out Giro's for size? In London this is.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Condor?
  • gtvlusso
    Hi Meanred - apologies I have been very tardy in getting the size of my shoes for you. I will do it tonight - have written it on my hand.....
  • meanredspider
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Hi Meanred - apologies I have been very tardy in getting the size of my shoes for you. I will do it tonight - have written it on my hand.....

Thanks. I have a pair of Sidi Megas from Evans turning up today in a 45 so at least I'll have a better idea by then what fits me.

I've taken a photo of the insole from the regular Sidis on that from the Northwave. I'll do the same for my old Shimanos and for the Sidi Megas. Hopefully that will give everyone an idea of the relative sizes in a more visual and quantitative way.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    +1 Spesh, I have duck feet very wide at the toes, and dhbs were hopeless, so got some Spesh, normally a 43/9 but upsized to 44 and they fit me a treat, like previous poster I use the MTB base BG shoes on my road bike, hey aren't I a rebel.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    SecretSam wrote:
    +1 Spesh, I have duck feet very wide at the toes, and dhbs were hopeless, so got some Spesh, normally a 43/9 but upsized to 44 and they fit me a treat, like previous poster I use the MTB base BG shoes on my road bike, hey aren't I a rebel.

Eek. I've just pushed the button on some dhb M 1.0 shoes (25% off at Wiggle atm if anyone is interested) as my Spesh BGs are starting to fall apart and ming beyond the telling of it. Hope they fit as I too have duck feet. We'll see.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nameinuse
    nameinuse Posts: 71
    I'm kind of pleased to see there's a self-help group here for people with funny-shaped feet. Just about to take back a pair of Bontrangers to Evans local shop after I bought them online and they didn't fit. They were 46, and I'm usually an 11 or so. Looks like I need to go up to 47 at least! Like the phrase "duck feet", sounds like me as well...
  • meanredspider
    Well the Sidi Megas in 45 are too big too. Will decide today which pair to return (Northwave or Sidi) and which to exchange for 44.
  • meanredspider
    Well I was in Demon Tweeks today getting some bits for my race car so I thought I'd try some shoes on

Sidi Mega 44s were ok for width but, bizarrely, too short

Northwave 44s were ok for length but were too loose (width-wise) at the heel end of the shoe.

So basically, so far, I've discovered that neither Northwave nor Sidi fit me properly. Might need to get one of the moulded shoes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Well I was in Demon Tweeks today getting some bits for my race car.
    Scotland, Wales and England all in a day. You've clocked up some miles.