Do I need a road bike?

isimba
isimba Posts: 44
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I have had a hybrid bike for two years and have loved riding been on two tours to Europe (first time to Amsterdam and had my bike stolen). At heart I am a runner and use my bike for long rides when I am not running.

However I am torn now whether I should buy a road bike. What benefit will I gain from it over my hybrid?

I know it will be lighter and therefore I can go faster but surely I will be getting more health benefits from riding a hybrid and having to work hard to get faster?

Does anyone have any information they can give me that will help make my decision?

If I do get a road bike I would be looking at spending £600/700

Comments

• itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Do you currently have an MTB based hybrid (26" wheels) or a road based hybrid with 700c wheels?

If it's the former, then a road bike will be more efficient. If the latter, the case is not so clear.

A road bike will give you a more aerodynamic position but if you don't intend to ride on the drops then this is somewhat negated - you could emulate the same hoods or flats position on your current bike by fitting a longer stem and maybe bar ends
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Owning a hybrid for two years without succumbing to buying a road bike must be a record, well done for holding out that long! :D

It is lighter, there is less resistance, you will go faster, but you wont be maintaining the same effort.

As soon as you get on a road bike you will try a lot harder and put in much more effort, which is the benefit, it drives you!

If you want to get fitter, get a road bike.

On the days I ride my hybrid I now put more effort in to try and match the performance achieved on the road bike, which is an advantage of owning and riding both.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • isimba
    Not sure on the wheel size but it is this bike - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/glo ... e-ec019554

It has lasted me well and I have got SPD's on it.

Why will I put more effort in on a road bike than my hybrid? When currently I am trying to keep up with my brother-in-law on his road bike. I am fine on hills with matching him but anywhere else I'm struggling!

I do like the idea of drops and possibly entering sportives though. Which I wont be able to do and get a good time with a hybrid.
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Weight:Approx. 26.31lbs (11.94kg) for the Small Size.

Holy cow. Yeah, get a road bike :mrgreen:
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    As you're a runner, here's a question for you :)

If you run to get fit, should you

a: get decent quality running gear and put the miles in at a decent pace?

Or

b. wear weights, a thick coat and inflexible boots for a jog to make it a harder effort?

As I'm sure you'll agree, it's not all about the effort, it's about enjoyment, speed and the ability to spend money on technical gear :)

get a road bike....
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ...they make you smile.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Although your bike does have 700c wheels the same as most road bikes do. The tyres are 35mm wide and the norm for road bikes is 23 or 25mm. Also most road bikes in your price range will be at least 2kg lighter than your bike and you may be lucky and find one 4kg lighter.

The gearing will be harder than your bike but this just means you will be going quicker for the same cadence.

As has been said before it will make you push harder because you will see better results and nothing promotes success like success.

Apart from the aero position on the drops there are more hand positions that will allow you to go further without needing to rest your hands. Riding the hoods feels very natural and if setup correctly is a real pleasure.

Your SPD's will work fine on a road bike but you will probably feel the need to buy lycra (unless you already have it) and pretty soon you will be feeling like a "proper" cyclist instead of someone who rides a bike (joke!)

Finally, because you asked the question in the Road Beginners section you kind of knew the answers you were going to get so deep inside you just wanted us to tell you to get a roadie.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    g00se wrote:
    As you're a runner, here's a question for you :)

If you run to get fit, should you

a: get decent quality running gear and put the miles in at a decent pace?

Or

b. wear weights, a thick coat and inflexible boots for a jog to make it a harder effort?

As I'm sure you'll agree, it's not all about the effort, it's about enjoyment, speed and the ability to spend money on technical gear :)

get a road bike....

That sort of squares with my theory that fat people are fitter than thin people because they're always excercising. I think. :?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I thought everybody needs a road bike :lol:

Seriously though, get one. You won't regret it.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Best thing I ever did was getting a proper road bike to replace my hybrid. So much better having several hand positions available instead of flat-bars with bar ends on! Better and faster, and more comfortable ultimately as I found!
    It doesn't have to be an all-singing road bike either, I got a Trek 1.1 and have been over the moon with it.
    You will find riding and climbing and descending far better and more enjoyable.
    Do it :)
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • isimba
    Your SPD's will work fine on a road bike but you will probably feel the need to buy lycra (unless you already have it) and pretty soon you will be feeling like a "proper" cyclist instead of someone who rides a bike (joke!)

haha sod lycra!
  • isimba
    I guess yeah I know the answer is I want a road bike. Just trying to justify it to myself I guess.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    For now, it's one bike and nothing else, but soon, very soon... :twisted:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • team47b wrote:
    ...they make you smile.

This.
    I just got my first road bike a month or so ago, and it is amazing how much more fun it is to ride on the roads than my old slicked mtb. I can go faster, I can go farther, I have more fun.

An unexpected side effect is that now I can take a more leisurely approach to commuting on my mtb, as opposed to going all out every commute, trying to go as fast as possible.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you're running 35mm tyres chances are you have some pretty heavy wheels too. Going to light wheels and 25mm tyres would make a dramatic difference to the way the bike accelerates.

Get a road bike. I ran my tourer for years, about the same weight as your bike but with drop bars and slightly lighter wheels. Got a second hand Cannondale road bike and couldn't believe how much quicker it felt. You might not see a massive difference in your average speed (say 10-15%) but it'll feel a lot more than that.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Have both a hybrid, with 35mm wheels and a Road Bike with 25mm wheels.

Rode the hybrid all winter using the Road Bike on a Turbo Trainer. When I switched back to using the Road Bike on the road a month or so ago, I couldn't beleive how much faster it was (or how much my fitness had improved over the winter).

Get a Road Bike, you wont regret it.
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    For now, it's one bike and nothing else, but soon, very soon... :twisted:
    he's right, i have 3 road bikes! and one MTB, TT bike - summer bike and Winter bike. summer bike will be barely ridden mind you i just got it cos it's MINT!! and i needed to upgrade - TT season is upon us on i religiously TT. =]

get one OP :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I suggest you buy one as soon as.
    I then suggest that you start the following threads in this order, about a week apart-

Which road bike for £600?

Which road bike for £1000?

Which road bike for £2000?

What's best to upgrade first?

What wheels for £300?

Which bibshorts should I buy?

Where is the best price for Assos bibshorts?

For Sale - Carbon bike

Which Road bike for £5000?

Which winter bike for £1000?

Which TT bike for £2000?

Which powermeter is best?

Where to start racing?

etc etc etc.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I'm one of the many who've gone from hybrid to road bike and don't regret it for a second. Just so much more fun to ride.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    "Do I need a road bike?"

Does Judith Chalmers need a passport? Does the pope wear a hat? Does Dawn French like a chocolate orange?

YES you need a road bike....d'uh.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    I have a road bike, but would like more i tell you more.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    N + 1 - the rules.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Of course you need a road bike.

Everyone needs a road bike.