mudguards for commuting

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
I am currently using an early 1980 dawes mtb for commuting with.

Given that most of my journey is on a muddy canal path I am getting very plastered with mud, despite having a cheap mudguard from Halfords.

Is there anything I can get that is not too expensive to keep teh crap off my back.

I am pretty certain I have got eyelets for a mudguard and rack for the rear, so what would fit?

The bike in question is a Dawes the Edge.

thanks

sam

Comments

• If it's an MTB, I would just get a Crudcatcher. It's what I use on my commuter mtb.
    Cheap, easy to adjust and attaches to the downtube/seatpost.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If it's an MTB, I would just get a Crudcatcher. It's what I use on my commuter mtb.
    The seatpost mounted ones are good, but don't bother with the downtube ones, they don't serve any purpose.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    If it's just for commuting, why not stick a cheap rack on the back (for your sarnies), then add a flat piece of plastic to the rack to act as the mudgaurd, keeping you and your sarnies dry and clean.

Also gives it that extra home bodged, ie anti theft look :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    This might seem like too obvious a suggestion, but if your commute takes you along a muddy path, and you get covered in mud, then why don't you either carry a change of clothes, or take a different route?
    I could walk to work trough the fields, but I'd get covered in crap, so I don't.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On the rear I have a rack with a deck built in, then a use a small (what we used to call a racing mudguard back in the day) in front of that to stop muck spraying forwards down the backs of my leg....sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zuft
    zuft Posts: 1
    I have the same set up, a rack on the back and a mud guard on the front and I return mostly mud splashed free :D
    "Taming the Great Outdoors" http://www.zuft.com
  • If it's an MTB, I would just get a Crudcatcher. It's what I use on my commuter mtb.
    The seatpost mounted ones are good, but don't bother with the downtube ones, they don't serve any purpose.

Work well enough to keep the spray out of your face when it's pissing down with rain, well at least it does on my bike :roll:
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    Work well enough to keep the spray out of your face when it's pissing down with rain, well at least it does on my bike :roll:
    I didn't find them helpful. In heavy rain all that happens is that the spray hits the downtube mudguard and then onto my shoes or that the spray goes between the stanchions and up into my face. I now run with proper (easily removable) mudguards.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    If it's an MTB, I would just get a Crudcatcher. It's what I use on my commuter mtb.

nonsense. They never have, and never will stop the spray from hitting your face.
    Your wheel throws the spray up and forwards, and you ride into it.
  • GTADz
    GTADz Posts: 9
    I'm quite happy with a new one I bought. SKS Shockboard. Takes about 30 minutes to put together & fit, 20 of those are trying to understand the bad instructions! But once fitted, they can be removed and put on in a matter of seconds