Last Chance

hsiaolc
hsiaolc Posts: 492
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Dear all,

As you probably or might be aware that I started a tread a while back asking for advice as to which bike to buy between Santa Cruz Butcher or the Kona Cadabra.

At that time I sad I've made up my mind on the Kona Cadabra but I have since changed my mind.

Last night I made the order for Canyon Torque 7.0 Trailflow plus the extra Rock shox Reverb seat post.

I am wondering if I made the right choice? Because I can't decide between the Canyon Torque or the Canyon Nerve AM 8.0X?

Fast reponse needed so I can still change my order.

Can I take a voting poll as to who will chose what?

So it is between Canyon Torque 7.0 Trailflow VS Canyon Never AM 8.0X which one will you go for and why?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Split the difference and get a Strive?

Sorry, I know that's not what you asked, but if you want something 'more' than the Nerve, and to keep some kind of efficiency for longer rides, the Strive seems ideal (if you stick to Canyon). There was a very good review in Dirt a couple of issues ago.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Depends on how much of a hard hitting bike you want and what type of riding you do.

Both lovley bikes, the torque obviously being the more aggressive of the 2.

The nerve am is the more all round machine, whereas the torque is setup for pointing downwards.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    warpcow wrote:
    Split the difference and get a Strive?

Sorry, I know that's not what you asked, but if you want something 'more' than the Nerve, and to keep some kind of efficiency for longer rides, the Strive seems ideal (if you stick to Canyon). There was a very good review in Dirt a couple of issues ago.

:lol: This. You can't decide between two models of bike and there's one slap bang in the middle of them both. I'd go for the Strive ES 8.0, no?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • hsiaolc
    LOL I didn't look at the Stive at all. Damn.

I am looking at it now.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Strive would be the way to go, I have an AM9 and have ordered an FRX6, I could have maybe gone with a strive but hey I ain't complaining....
  • hsiaolc
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Strive would be the way to go, I have an AM9 and have ordered an FRX6, I could have maybe gone with a strive but hey I ain't complaining....

Seems like you might complete the COLLECTION!!

How many do you need have or have?

I think I've decided to go for the Torque Trailflow they class as Super Enduro.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Fair play to ya. Good luck on the climbs though :wink:

Looks like an interesting bike. 24T single ring up front.

When will you receive it?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • hsiaolc
    Fair play to ya. Good luck on the climbs though :wink:

Looks like an interesting bike. 24T single ring up front.

When will you receive it?

LOL Are you trying to put me off?!!! :)

They rated as super enduro so I will stick to that one rather than the strive then.

It is not single ring. It is the Trulative Hammershimit. It is a planetary of rings inside and it shifts automatically. You can even change gear right in the middle of a climb and it will shift flawlessly. It is the future of cranks and get rid of the front derellieur, chain guides and also the Bash guards all completely.

I don't know yet. I order it last night and it says avaliablity immdiately. I called yesterday and they said it will take 10 working days (not sure why it should take that long) but anyway I am paitient.
  • Mojo_666
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

Seems like you might complete the COLLECTION!!

How many do you need have or have?

I think I've decided to go for the Torque Trailflow they class as Super Enduro.

I got the AM thinking that would be it then sold my hard tail, turns out I have done 7 uplifts this year and my AM is taking a beating and has been out of action for repairs leaving me bike less. I thought about getting a DH just for uplifts, but research in the second hand market meant a 1k spend on a not so great bike with no history (5 not very careful owners IMO) orange 223/224 are about 1300k minimum a few years old etc etc so I just opted to get one new bike due to the relatively low cost, these bikes are funded by money saved when I quite smoking btw...20 months smoke free and nearly 5k saved (spent) on bikes.
  • hsiaolc
    Congrats on not smoking. I personally have now quit for three years. Although hehe my smoking habits never really costed me that much so I can't really justify.

What happened to the AM? Is it being repaied under warranty or?
  • Mojo_666
    Nothing major yet, snapped shifters which I had to replace as it was crash damage, also had the chain ripped out of the rear mech...which i bent back into shape, forks had to go to mojo for a look (nothing wrong tho just a mark which appeared after a crash (they polished it off) but all this was down time which sucked.
  • hsiaolc
    Nothing too major then. Those items easly replaced and fixed. Important thing is that the frame survived the damage! :)
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    thanks for mentioning the strive, had not spotted it

looks a great bike and more versatile than the Nerve AM - great value for the 7.0 with the reverb. lovely jubbly