Newbie from Liverpool, chose and bought a bike

JayMartin333
JayMartin333 Posts: 73
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
Have read through the site the past few days looking for advice so thought Id sign up an say Hello, I used to ride Dirt Jumps a few years ago on a Carrera Banshee but found it too big and bulky for the location, so I bought a Mongoose Fuzz Utah BMX (specific dirt jump set up) then the site got flattened by developers who never ended up building there anyway :evil: had the itch ever since to get back into bikes but dont know of anywhere local to go, would love to get into jumping again but I enjoy light down hill/trail riding too, I havent got a bike at the minute, really tempted to try and build a bike myself but the problem lies with what to go for as I dont know of any places local to specify my bike too! Ideally dont want to spend more than £400 but can go more, is a jump frame with front sus and gears any good on down hill rides like Llandegla? Hopefully theres more local places than that though which is over an hour away.

Sorry for the long winded essay :mrgreen:

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Llandegla is easily doable on a Hardtail which a DJ is essentially, and your right at home on the freeride section which are well groomed and pretty tame, even the 20ft tabletop is easily done.

For your budget have a look for a second hand DJ bike, I picked up my DMR Sidekick2 off ebay for £210 and it was perfectly ridable but I have upgraded it since.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Ta, yeah I've had a good luck on eBay and just been into a few bike shops an I think a DJ is too small for what I need as il be doing a bit of flat riding too, tried a M frame specialized and that was a nice size for riding normally an can drop the seat for jumping (when I find somewhere!) wasn't overly keen on the feel of it though, any recommendations?
  • 1mancity2
    Only problem your going to get is with your budget of £400 a new bike is not going to have a very good spec especially if you intend on hitting the jumps big style, the wheels and forks will not be upto constant hard knocks unless you go down the DJ route.

If your after a Hardtail that will do trails and not massive jumps look at Carrera and Voodoo both from Halfords,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Or something like this of ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-R ... 20c4f71b99
  • A Specialized Hard rock came up local for a bargain price, had a little search and I know you lot aren't keen on them but for £160?

a1c2f499.jpg
  • 1mancity2
    Just depends on how worn the components are, Chainrings, chain, cassette, etc, you could end up spending another £200 on it to get it fit for purpose.

But if it all looks ok £160 is a good price.
  • Yeah I got a mate who's into bikes to come along he checked it all over and said to buy it, was looking at the same one in quinns (edge lane, Liverpool) for £400. For what il use it for it seems spot on, if it's not suited I could eBay it tomorrow for profit so it's no biggie, pedals an black grips I'm gonna get for it now
  • 1mancity2
    I know Quinns! wife went to Uni at Liverpool so spent 4yrs going down at weekend, great laugh and some great nights out.

New contact points to make it feel fresh is a good idea, pedals and grips look at Superstar

www.superstarcomponents.co.uk
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    A Specialized Hard rock came up local for a bargain price, had a little search and I know you lot aren't keen on them but for £160?

a1c2f499.jpg

Might be the camera angle playing tricks, but those forks look bent from the bottom of the lower headset race, might have been in a head on crash with something?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I thought the same thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lost me here, bent from what part? Il get a proper side on pic of the front forks...
  • Just got home and checked an I think your right does look slightly tilting back!
  • dodgy
    Pity your mate who's 'into bikes' didn't spot it for you!

Can you post a pic, just to be sure? IF it has been in a head on with enough force to bend the forks, there might be other damage lurking beneath the paint on the frame.
  • 408b2a52.jpg
  • I know me and him need words ha the wheel is perfect though when spun around
  • dodgy
    It still looks bent to me, have you examined the paintwork around the gusset (the bit where the downtube joins the headtube)? See if there's any rippled material, that's indicative of a big impact.

Your last pic doesn't look quite as bad as the first one you've posted. By the way, all Hardrocks of that vintage have the 'bend' in the downtube just before the 'S' of 'Specialized' just in case anyone thinks that's been caused by a crash :P

Perhaps other posters can give a second opinion.
  • No there's not a mark on the bike I've just checked all the welds an there's nothing wrong with the paint work etc
  • dodgy
    Let's see what others think, I'm starting to doubt myself now :D
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Doesn't look bent to me, it's far from an accurate method but lining a ruler up with the lowers/stanchion seems to show them at the same angle as the head tube.

Also there's a little DJ section in Otterspool Park (http://binged.it/Jds32J) not that I'd embarrass myself on it in front of the kids :lol:
  • Are they still there by St Margerats field? I used to go to them and the ones on Mersey Road, they're te ones that got flattened :(
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    That's it, I've not been down that way for a while but I'm pretty sure they're still there.