Sight2/Fuel Ex 8/ Remedy 8...I'm Struggling!

ArboRisk
ArboRisk Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am in the market for a new trail bike and I thought I was convinced about buying the Trek Fuel Ex 8. However I am now torn between the Fuel Ex 8, Sight 2 and a Remedy 8.

A couple of questions:

Will there be a price hike once the Sight has the Fox forks?
I like the idea of the Remedy having the extra travel but does it perform as well going up the hills?
And finally,Can the Fuel Ex handle the rough stuff when I want it too?

Coming from DH and a Kona Stinky I wanted something a little more trail friendly but still capable of combating harsh terrain (maybe not as harsh as DH). My problem was not having the time (or funds) to travel to DH tracks all the time and limiting my riding experiences. Riding bridle paths on a full DH rig was more trouble than it was worth.

I am looking to buy a set-up that can help with my fitness so I can move into Enduro events and other times throw myself down trails with jumps, drops and other gnarly sections I come across. On top of that there is the times I get back from work and just want to ride my bike around town.
I know It seems like I'm asking about 3 different bikes but are any of my selections capable of achieving all this.

Cheers for reading.

Matt.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the sight is a great bike, I used to work at a norco stockist and the bikes were all great quality, abit off in a few areas bikewise, styling geometry, equipment etc, but the sight is pretty sorted on paper, it got a 10 in MBR recently, no mean feat for any bike which doesnt say orange or specialized on it, and its wmb's trail bike of the year. If I still got my trade discount on norco, I'd snap one up in an instant. Btw afaik, there will be no price difference once the fox forks are fitted, making it even more appealing imo.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've tried the Fuel EX 8 and a Remedy 8.

The suspension system on the treks make them both feel very planted and composed. I felt the Fuel would happily take on much rougher terrain than your average 120mm bike and I was surprised at how well the Remedy peddled and climbed given the slack angles on it.

I can't help on the Norco Vs Trek decision but for the Fuel Vs Remedy it just depends on your personal preference.

Is this going to be your only bike? If so I would maybe suggest the Remedy as coming from a DH background it'll cope with a bit of everything from XC rides to DH track.

If you already have and are going to keep the DH bike then I'd prob go for the Fuel EX. It is much more capable than you think a 120mm should be and it has slack angles for the type of bike so will cope on the rowdy terrain and you can use the DH bike for the proper hard stuff.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Nothing worse than looking at a DH track and thinking you don't have the bike for it :) I'd always prioritise a bike that will be more fun going down than going up and if you're from a DH background, you might find something that's more XC focused a ball-and-chain when you want to be off the brakes and squealing with delight.
    My money is with the Remedy, horses-for-courses aside.
  • ArboRisk
    ArboRisk Posts: 3
    Cheers guys,

I got pretty much the same advice from WMB. I was so sure that the Fuel Ex was for me but i'm glad I've really thought about it now. I can now imagine coming to a gnarly section and just not having the confidence in the Fuel to handle it, whether or not it actually could.

I think the Remedy is for me (I think it looks better anyway).