Can anyone recommend a good single speed wheelset ?

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Can anyone recommend a good single speed wheel set ?

Want to replace the wheels on my Langster as they are starting to run/look pretty rough along with the freewheel being stuck on them!

Don't want to speed too much money but would like cartridge bearings hubs, does anyone have any wheel set they can recommend or even any for sale? :)

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have heard excellent things about the Halo Aero Rage wheels, they look amazing are apparently bombproof and you can find a pair for £150 or thereabouts.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • JamesFree
    JamesFree Posts: 703
    Thanks for that, they look excellent for the money.

Tempted to get the yellow ones!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Jess Varnish's dad sells handbuilt (by him) wheel sets. Flip flop, deep rims, 36 spokes and pretty damn bombproof.
    He's on here and LFGSS as Varno and gets rave reviews (including from me), I remember I was happy with the price (but can't remember what I paid) and extemely happy with the service. You'll need to buy your own freewheel. I hear that a company called White Industries make freewheels.

When you grow a pair you can flip the wheel buy a track sprocket and ride fixed too!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    +1 on Varno's wheels.
    He does a discount for LFGSS users that you could probably get by messaging him
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'm running a Halo Aerorage on the rear and it is holding up strong considering what I put it through. Since christmas I've been riding with a pannier bag on a 25c tyre and the wheel is still true. The only problem I've encountered are the 'locknuts' are too big for the freewheel tool I use so I need to remove one when I change the freewheel.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I have heard excellent things about the Halo Aero Rage wheels, they look amazing are apparently bombproof and you can find a pair for £150 or thereabouts.

No machined braking surface. I was fine with them until someone hit me from behind and it ripped the spokes through the rim... Not sure what to think about that. Anyway if you're interested I've got a barely used front one available... pm me

Miche primato hubs are very good, something built around those would suit you well
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've been using Aeroage for ages, very very happy with them. Unlike a lot of 'track' wheels they have sealed bearings as well.
  • fager
    fager Posts: 5
    The only problem I've encountered are the 'locknuts' are too big for the freewheel tool I use so I need to remove one when I change the freewheel.
    g.gif
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    What is the width between the track fork ends on a langster?

120mm or 130mm?

If 130 - you can use any road wheelset with a freewheel hub and then put a spacer set and cog on in lieu of a cassette.

If they are 120mm - Jess Varnish dad (http://www.v-sprint.com/) will build you a great set - I have a front v-sprint for sale for £30 in black (Pegasus 40mm deep V rim with novatec sealed bearing hub) + postage. Needs a clean up and some grease on the bearings.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Handbuilts -

Formula hubs (sealed cartridge, easy to maintain), stainless hubs and Open Pro or CXP 33's - bomb proof and easy to re-rim. Not the cheapest.