Fork Air Pressure...How much do you run?

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited April 2012 in MTB general
As above. Just want to see, what people run on theirs.

Comments

• mb london
    mb london Posts: 96
    100 psi on the frontvand 200 psi on the back
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What ever is needed to give the sag I want.
    It is different in diferent forks,

Rather pointless question just set your sag to what you want and adjust as needed so that you just bottom out once or twice.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Across all the stuff I have owned, 15 - 175psi.

So as Nick says, very dependant.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    75 psi - totally pointless question! You have to factor in your weight to get the sag you want. Usually 15-20%
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    55psi in one set and 110 in another
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Enough to get the sag right with my fat ass on board.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • No too hot and not too cold...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    8psi, Marzocchi 55 coil.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont forget to use the correct air. I get mine off ebay its Nitrogen 80% blend not cheap but I know I have the best.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Rockshox vs Marzocchi vs Fox are going to have COMPLETELY different numbers here, even if everyone rode the same and had identical sag, due to the different systems. 80 on my Floats, 110 on my Rebas.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I particularly enjoy the idiocy of so many people saying it's a pointless question, but still bothering to give their pressure anyway.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Sag seems like a good enough starting point, but then so do the manufacturer's recommendations, based on your weight. I think, for my Fox forks they were psi=weight in lbs for the rear and around 60% of that for the front. But it's so easy to adjust and to get the best out of your suspension you need to understand how changing the pressure changes the feel anyway, which means experimenting. So, you might as well start with the recommended pressures, ride it, see how it handles (whether you are using all the travel etc) then see what effect changing the pressure has. Then you can ignore the recommendations and just go with what feels right.

Cheers,

Andy
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I particularly enjoy the idiocy of so many people saying it's a pointless question, but still bothering to give their pressure anyway.

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    andy_welch wrote:
    Sag seems like a good enough starting point, but then so do the manufacturer's recommendations, based on your weight. I think, for my Fox forks they were psi=weight in lbs for the rear and around 60% of that for the front. But it's so easy to adjust and to get the best out of your suspension you need to understand how changing the pressure changes the feel anyway, which means experimenting. So, you might as well start with the recommended pressures, ride it, see how it handles (whether you are using all the travel etc) then see what effect changing the pressure has. Then you can ignore the recommendations and just go with what feels right.

Cheers,

Andy
    The problem with "ignore the recommendations and just go with what feels right" is that many riders who are new to suspension aren't sure what "right" is, depending on what they've ridden before. A lot of riders who've only ridden hardtails or rigids tend to set their suspension up too hard, and therefore not getting the best use of it. Still others are setting it too soft, and not getting the best performance.
    There is some leeway from the "ideal" sag that can still work, and yes, it can depend on where you ride, but it's tricky to "feel" it unless you're experienced at tinkering with your setup.
    Of course, in order to become experienced and to learn the effects, you must fiddle, which is a bit of a catch-22 situation.

Best bet is to set the correct sag, and don't mess about unless you've actually bottoming out constantly.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    stubs wrote:
    Dont forget to use the correct air. I get mine off ebay its Nitrogen 80% blend not cheap but I know I have the best.
    was that the pink or the blue air ? :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • felix.london
    This. Stiffened mine up last night (to 100psi :wink: ) as I'm bottoming out 4 or 5 (or more maybe) times per ride. Not that the Reba complains at all.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    chez_m356 wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    was that the pink or the blue air ? :lol:

You get the Green Alpine stuff over here. Can't notice the difference over the blue though (never tried the pink - ridiculous import duties on that one) :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    stubs wrote:
    Mine's 78.09% Nitrogren and is awesome, and cheap.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cheapskates. I only use the best. I use nano-carbotanium gas.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Of course, in order to become experienced and to learn the effects, you must fiddle, which is a bit of a catch-22 situation.

so what you're saying is, "ignore the recommendations and just go with what feels right"? :mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds about right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee

so what you're saying is, "ignore the recommendations and just go with what feels right"? :mrgreen:
    yeah but no but.
    Am I bovvered?