Clicking Headset?

Floriante
Floriante Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Well, this is a little bit interesting. This clicking started coming from my headset/fork area about 6 months ago. While im riding if i steer the handlebar left and right then lots of clicking noise comes and it also comes when i move up any sidewalk or block etc. If i press the front brake then pull and push the bike again lots of clicking noise comes.

I tightened the headset and now the sound is mostly gone. BUT this time the headset is very very tight and its difficult to steer.

Any ideas?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHat is the headset? Have you tried fully servicing it?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Gritty kind of noise?

How do you wash the bike (assuming it gets washed)? Jet wash? Water in the headset, especially if it has cage bearings, will wash out the grease and you end up with gritty grinding sounds, and basically shot bearings.

May be the bearings are just shot anyway and need replacing.

It could also be the headset had play it in. Test for this is to apply both brakes and rock the bike gentle back and forward and see if the headset moves back and forward. Over tightening the headset will likely make it go away but it's over tightened (and risks damaging the bearings - as I found!).

Need to loosen it off and do it up properly. Key is to loosen the stem, do up the top bolt which draws the forks up, ensure the stem and any spacers are flush, no gaps, and then tighten the stem. The stem is what holds the thing in place, not the top bolt but if the stem is in the wrong position you can get play. If that's fine and there's no play, then sounds like bearings are shot.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Also, what fork are you running up front? It could be the CSU creaking under stress... Try to hold the weel steady with your legs, and turn the bars from side to side, to see if it creaks. Or even better, try it with someone with the fork out of the bike, grab it by the legs, and try to twist it with the bars attached on the steerer.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • @supersonic

Its Ritchey WCS Press Fit Carbon... Yes i greased it all

@deadkenny

i dont wash it, just clean it. The headset doesnt play when i overtighten it.

@386ka

The fork is Magura During Race. I did what you say, but no noise