Road Tyre Advice- Much Appreciated

Oliver19
Oliver19 Posts: 97
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Good Afternoon All,

I'm looking for a new set of tyres for my bike. I ride a Trek 1.7 2009 with the original Bontrager Tyres. The wheels are also standard SSR Bontrager if I remember correctly.

I have a few questions and looking for advice. The type of riding I'm doing is weekend leisurely fun rides at the minute and have a 105 miles sponsored ride in June. During this season I will also be doing some 10 mile TT's. So the question is:

What should I go- read a lot about Continental GP4000S & Gatorskin
What size do I need for my Bontrager SSR Wheels?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• I've just put some conti grand prix 24mm black chilli compound on for a similar use - they roll really well - not sure about the puncture resistance, but at around twenty quid each they seem good value
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Standard 700C road tires should fit so the only decisions are what width and what make/model.

Width depends on your riding and your bike frame. 23mm are the most popular but many are now using 24 or 25mm now. Wider is slightly more comfortable but more rubber on the road means heavier and slower (all fractional).

Continental, Michelin, Schwalbe and Vitoria are the most popular makes. The rest is personal preferences.

You will find many supporters for the Continental models that you mention. Many will say they prefer the Michelin Krylion or the Schwalbe Durano or the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX. The differences are weight, rolling resistance, grip and puncture resistance. There is no perfect answer.

You can check out the Bike Radar product reviews if you like.
  • Oliver19
    Thanks for the very informative post. What sort of width would you advise I need for my needs.

Especially as its coming up to summer, I don't mind buying another pair of tyres when the bad weather comes in again.

Also what's the difference between tubulars and clinchers? Sorry for the silly question!
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Oliver19 wrote:
    Thanks for the very informative post. What sort of width would you advise I need for my needs.

Especially as its coming up to summer, I don't mind buying another pair of tyres when the bad weather comes in again.

Also what's the difference between tubulars and clinchers? Sorry for the silly question!

Tubulars don't have a removable inner tube, you glue them on to the rim. They are quicker and more puncture resistant but when you get a puncture you have to stick on a new tyre (which you'll have to carry around) as opposed to just whipping out the inner tube and you also have to ride slower afterwards because the new tyre wont be glued and could possibly roll.

Clinchers are what you have now, a tyre with a bead that hooks into the rim with an inner tube inside.

You also can't put clinchers on a tub rim and vice-versa so you would need new wheels for a tubular set-up.

I've just moved from the standard Bontrager tyres (23mm all weather) to a set of 25mm GP 4000s, they are miles gripper and take the buzz out of the road a lot more. They are also noticeably lighter even though they are larger. The roads around my area are pretty poor so the 25's are more comfortable but if you have better roads then go for the 23's.

Mike
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    I've just put some conti grand prix 24mm black chilli compound on for a similar use - they roll really well - not sure about the puncture resistance, but at around twenty quid each they seem good value

I rode a 100 mile audax ride with these tyres on Sunday (had been riding 28mm Gatorskins over winter), even pumped up to 115psi the ride does not feel harsh, and they live up to the claims of good grip in my experience.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Good advice from Mike.

Tubulars are for pros who can have mechanics standing by with new wheels in case of a puncture. You can use them if you want to buy new wheels as well as new tires and phone a taxi to get you home in the event of a puncture.

Clinchers for the rest of us who want to carry a spare inner tube and fix our own puncture at the side of the road. Stick with clinchers.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    I think I remember someone being very impressed with schwalbe blizzards a while back, and they was less than £20 for two.
  • Oliver19
    Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I was just wondering what tubulars were so thanks for the help, I will just be sticking to clinchers as I only want to replace the tyres and by no means of the standard to have tubs!

I'm torn between the Conti Gatorskin and GP4000s :( will I notice much of a reduced speed on the Gatorskin to gp4000s?

Will they affect my average speed at all? Currently averaging high 17's- mid 18's on the bontrager
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I've been using 4000s' for years. Love them. I get mine from here (price inc vat + pp) -
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Oliver19
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I've been using 4000s' for years. Love them. I get mine from here (price inc vat + pp) -

What's the puncture protection like on the go4000s'?
  • Aggieboy
    Oliver19 wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

What's the puncture protection like on the go4000s'?

Well, I suppose it depends on luck/your roads/mileage etc, but I've been using them for about 4/5 years and had 1 puncture and that was in the side wall when I hit a low drain. Only changed them when worn, and that's not been quick.

Info -

Vectran Breaker: The innovation in puncture protection. Made from melted Vectra Liquid Crystal Polymer, Vectran is the only LCP fibre in the world, made using a spinning process Vectran is lightweight, extremely durable, resistant to water is five times stronger than steel. Conti tyres which include one or sometimes two layers of Vectran under the tread are some of the toughest and lightweight bicycle tyres available
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    +1 for Conti Grand Prix - superb tire
  • i have a trek 4.5 and have just swapped the standard bontrager race lite ( available online for £9 each ) for a pair of schwalbe ultremo zx £31 each from wiggle . and i cant tell any differance whatsoever !
  • logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    Aggieboy wrote:

Thats a superb price for them, are they ok to buy from its not a company I am familiar with.

To the OP I have done nearly 2000 miles on mine and have had 1 puncture, they are fantastic tyres.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I use GP4000s - think they're great.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    houndlegs wrote:
    I think I remember someone being very impressed with schwalbe blizzards a while back, and they was less than £20 for two.
    They have mixed reputation like most tyres but I will say. During a sportive on sunday over a hilly country road,every other gateway had an upside down bike in it getting a puncture fixed.

I had no such problem on Blizzards which were £18 delivered
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    houndlegs wrote:
    that was me :lol: excelent tyres.....
  • I have an entry level Trek 1.2 and on the advice of this forum I recently changed the original tyres for a pair of Continental GP4000S. I was a bit worried that I was doing the equivelent of a boy racer with his tarted-up Citroen Saxo, I.e putting accessories on that look the part but make no difference at all.

But I have really noticed the difference! The ride is a lot smoother and faster with rolling resistance reduced and I don't feel I'm putting so much effort in. So the Continental GP4000S gets my vote. :D
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:

Thats a superb price for them, are they ok to buy from its not a company I am familiar with.

To the OP I have done nearly 2000 miles on mine and have had 1 puncture, they are fantastic tyres.

I've never had any problems. Had tyres, innertubes etc. All arrived on time and well packaged.
  • Continental GP4000S are a great all round tyre. I'm on my second set and just changed my wife's bike's set up to them as well.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • +1 for Rosebikes, also bike24 cost the same. Don't pay with paypal though, I got stung with poor exchange rate and ended up paying about £25.50 for each tyre rather than the advertised £23.70. Might get a better rate using a credit card.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL