New waterproof jacket

welsh_14
welsh_14 Posts: 259
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

Looking for a new waterproof jacket that I will wear for riding and also off the bike, to pub, work etc. I'm a fan of Endura stuff so have spotted this jacket http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17968 anyone know what its like? Seems pretty good, or any suggestions on another decent jacket?
Also needs to be not to bulky as I carry it in my camelbak all year round (just in case with the british weather!!)

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    TK Maxx have a good selection of inexpensive multisport waterproofs. Got a Trekmates jacket from them a while back it packs down to the size of an inner tube box. Not 100% waterproof but it shrugs off showers and cost £10.
  • welsh_14
    Cheers .blitz will have a look in there.
    Has anyone got any real world experience of the Jacket I posted link to?
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Iv'e got the Endura Venturi jacket which is made of the same waterproofbreathable fabric and it's awesome highly recommend.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • welsh_14
    Cheers, I'm assuming it's waterproof and not just shower resistant?
  • For what it`s worth, I have the Endura MT500 which uses the PTFE material and it`s fantastic. I won`t entertain anything else now. I have had various Altura and even a Gore jacket but give me Endura any day now!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36214

Mine doesn`t have the hood but this is no big deal. I negotiated a price of £95 for mine which was marked up for £139 :D

I tried the Flyte but found it a tad tight in the body (although I am almost 15st and 5' 10" so no racing snake :( whereas the MT500 was slightly roomier which suited me better (both in XL)
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • welsh_14
    If I could get it for £95 I would, saw one in the shop and looked good! But £151 is a bit out of my price range unfortunately.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    For what it`s worth, I have the Endura MT500 which uses the PTFE material and it`s fantastic. I won`t entertain anything else now. I have had various Altura and even a Gore jacket but give me Endura any day now!

I'm certainly an Endura advocate as that's pretty much all I own but having bought a Gore Alp X jacket on ebay for £45 brand new, I have to say it's quality is excellent and I would have paid much much more for it after using it in numerous downpours and never getting soaked/sweated out.
  • Stu Coops
    Buy it you wont regret it there superb and yes it's 100% waterproof
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,778
    A mate has one of these and he's happy with it/gets plenty use out of it. (I've got a Stealth which is similar in design and I love it). Money well spent I'd say.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • fergo
    fergo Posts: 56
    I tend to go for walking/outdoors type brands, got myself a Berghaus Goretex Paclite that does the job.
  • welsh_14
    Cheers everyone, lots of good suggestions there so I'll have to have a real think now! Trip to TK maxx will be my first start to see if they have any good deals! Then if nothing then to choose which Endura ha-ha. :lol:
  • +1goretex paclite, actually breathes.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Another vote for goretex paclite here, folds down to the size of a small scone and complete waterproof. The flyweight eVent jackets are equally good IME.
  • James0911
    James0911 Posts: 43
    i'm going to be getting a Rab Volt jacket for when the rain gets too much for the vapour rise...
    i am very much a rab fan boy though lol,
  • I love my endura Flyte :)
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Stu Coops
    Paclites are lighter and smaller but not as breathable as a 2 or 3 layer goretex/event and they are prone to ripping easily if you take a tumble