It's April the 23rd

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Have you noticed how all the shops are filled with England flags and novelty knights helmets and plastic swords and shields with the cross of saint George on. The way they got a load of promotions going off in the local pub, specials on English cask ales etc.

No, thought not, it's only the patron saint of ENGLAND' day. :evil: Not like it's saint Patricks day or owt hey! :roll:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I've just slayed a dragon in celebration.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Having stolen a Veronese flag and adopted a Maltese/ Turkish folk hero as our patron its no wonder we lack a sense of national identity.

Still happy birthday Will Shakespeare you big plagirist.

Actually Frank I agree its a scandal how little regard we pay to our own identity, wouldnt fit with the remit of diversity and multiculturism , but we are a mongrel nation and none the worse for it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Aggieboy wrote:

Are they self BBQ-ing?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    tim wand wrote:
    It's actually very unlikely 23rd April is his birthday. The only records that exist document his christening, which was in a couple of days time, so it's a bit of a guess that he was born on the 23rd. Fits in nicely with the myth though.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    tim wand wrote:
    Having stolen a Veronese flag and adopted a Maltese/ Turkish folk hero as our patron its no wonder we lack a sense of national identity.
    Mind you, St Patrick was Welsh, and St Andrew was Jewish and never went anywhere near Scotland. Up here we have a (politically motivated - only in councils run by the SNP) public holiday on St Andrew's day - November 30th: hard to imagine a more daft date for one.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    There can't be many countries in the world that don't have a special day to celebrate themselves.

When I was a kid, no-one had heard of St George or St George's Day. About 10 years ago there seemed to be push (mainly by the pubs) to make it a bit of an event, but that seems to have died away again.

.... more importantly, it's my b'day.
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TheStone wrote:
    There can't be many countries in the world that don't have a special day to celebrate themselves.

When I was a kid, no-one had heard of St George or St George's Day. About 10 years ago there seemed to be push (mainly by the pubs) to make it a bit of an event, but that seems to have died away again.

S'been hijacked by the far right.

Was thinking this today. It's ironic that the people who want it the most are the people who stopped it being properly celebrated.

Even the st. George's cross has been hijacked by far right. When you see a pub or flat with a few of those hanging out (especially when there's no football), you know what to expect.

It's unfortunate really.
  • Aggieboy
    team47b wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Are they self BBQ-ing?

They come flame grilled - bit like a flame grilled 'Whopper', only bigger and with wings, obviously.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    If we are going to have a special, patriotic holiday, can't we make it in honour of someone/something who stands as a genuine example of English greatness, as opposed to a Palestinian who killed a non-existent beast?

How about a day celebrating all of our great scientists and artists?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Aggieboy wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't a one-eyed snake?
  • TheStone wrote:

S'been hijacked by the far right...

You think the far right have hijakced The Stone's birthday?

Happy Birthday The Stone :D
  • Aggieboy
    johnfinch wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't a one-eyed snake?

That was choked.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    tim wand wrote:
    Having stolen a Veronese flag.
    Really? I didn't know that. :oops:
    All the more reason for me to have a beer tonight, excellent. St Georges day beer festival in my local.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    TheStone wrote:

...and mine :) pub??
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    tim wand wrote:
    Having stolen a Veronese flag...

*Pedant* The Genoese flag you mean.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    thecrofter wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    It's actually very unlikely 23rd April is his birthday. The only records that exist document his christening, which was in a couple of days time, so it's a bit of a guess that he was born on the 23rd. Fits in nicely with the myth though.
    Okay, well it's pretty well fixed that he died on the 23rd!
  • johnfinch wrote:
    If we are going to have a special, patriotic holiday, can't we make it in honour of someone/something who stands as a genuine example of English greatness, as opposed to a Palestinian who killed a non-existent beast?

Thatcher?
  • Vesterberg
    Vesterberg Posts: 330
    johnfinch wrote:

Thatcher?

The Dragon I assume?
  • Frank the tank
    johnfinch wrote:

Thatcher?

Sorry, I thought John Finch wrote: How about a day celebrating all of our great scientists and artists.

NOT

How about a day celebrating a horrible devisive b1tch.

Is that a big enough bite for ya Brian Trousers? :wink::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Yer sorry got my Italian town wrong Chapeau EKIMIKE it was the Genoese not the Veronese flag.

Basically the fair people of Genoa were so hard that if you flew their flag, red cross on a white background off the back of your trading boats no pirates and brigands dare touch you, so the English did this as a decoy.

Sorry Veronese, almost as big a faux pas as when we were doing the Venitians as a theme across the curriculum at my last school and the cookery teacher got the kids making vienesse whirls thinking they were from Venice.

Everyone knows they re Kiplings, same as Eccles cakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    I don't feel quite so guilty about not knowing something that wasn't true about the flag of the town I was born in but left when I was only 2 years old now. St Georges beer festival was great, there's plenty left for the rest of the week too.
    I still like Viennese whirls even if they are from Hitler's home town.
    Well, Vienna is in Austria
  • johnfinch wrote:

Thatcher?

Sorry, I thought John Finch wrote: How about a day celebrating all of our great scientists and artists.

NOT

How about a day celebrating a horrible devisive b1tch.

Is that a big enough bite for ya Brian Trousers? :wink::lol:

Yep, cheers for that. Safely landed and in my keep net.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    johnfinch wrote:
    . . . a Palestinian who killed a non-existent beast??. . .

He was a Palestinian (or Syrian, the stories vary) who was executed on the orders of the Roman emperor Diocletian for refusing to renounce Christianity. The dragon was a symbolic representation that came along a bit later.

I can't help thinking that if a Palestinian (or Syrian) turned up at Heathrow now with a sob story about being persecuted over his religion, a whole bunch of people waving red-and-white flags and tell him to p!$$ off back there, rather than offering him the job of patron saint. And George Galloway would probably say what a great bloke the emperor Diocletian is.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFOj0kb7JEVkQMHavYuaEiUhiu3D-uZOaR_Jz4WWviITaoh1Nc

5th March :roll:
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • Aggieboy

175499716699122266_JvlN1zOf_f.jpg

Proper job :wink:
  • Frank the tank
    TheStone wrote:

S'been hijacked by the far right.

Was thinking this today. It's ironic that the people who want it the most are the people who stopped it being properly celebrated.

Even the st. George's cross has been hijacked by far right. When you see a pub or flat with a few of those hanging out (especially when there's no football), you know what to expect.

It's unfortunate really.

My daughter works in a city centre pub in Nottingham, unfortunately Rick Chasey's comment rings too true, she hated the shift.
    Tail end Charlie

• 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    Aggieboy wrote:

175499716699122266_JvlN1zOf_f.jpg

Proper job :wink:

Bleddy ansum boy
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com