Addison Lee 'die-in'

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
http://road.cc/content/news/57006-londo ... on-lee-die

So, will you be attending this and if so why? And if not, why not?

If you do attend please let us (me) know about it (such as: was it worth it, reaction, do you think it will achieve anything). This one has got me curious.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    An answer for most people here?

No, I have a job.
  • DonDaddyD

No, I have a job.
    What does having a job got to fo with anything. The protest is being organised by someone who has a job and she has arranged it at the end of the traditional working day. Moreover, why meet this protest with such a post and support the other 'go-slow/critical mass' protest that happened recently around Parliament square?

When do you speak for most people here? Why are you stifling potential discussion?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough ;).

I thought it was during the working day!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No, I have a job.
    What does having a job got to fo with anything. The protest is being organised by someone who has a job and she has arranged it at the end of the traditional working day. Moreover, why meet this protest with such a post and support the other 'go-slow/critical mass' protest that happened recently around Parliament square?

When do you speak for most people here? Why are you stifling potential discussion?

Don't start you two.

I'm still at work at 6pm anyway, but...

I think this particular protest is drawing too much attention to this Michael O'Leary wannabe. I also don't think this type of theatrical protest - "fake blood welcome" was it? - is likely to do much to get non-cyclists on 'our' side, which is surely the point of such a stunt.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

I think this particular protest is drawing too much attention to this Michael O'Leary wannabe. I also don't think this type of theatrical protest - "fake blood welcome" was it? - is likely to do much to get non-cyclists on 'our' side, which is surely the point of such a stunt.
    I was thinking along similar lines. Also the event organiser works for the BBC...

Just saying... maybe they see mileage in perpetuating and raising the profile of this issue.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No, I have a job.

If only some invisible nameless person could delete other forum members 'sarcastic' posts.

;)
    Da Admin wrote:
    Removed.

If nothing constructive to say, don't say it at all.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Not for me, all for large flash rides but cheesy protest that'll isolate people, no thanks.

I'll be at the big ride! [assuming the weather isn't Arkish.]
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I can't go; I'll still be at work.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,682
    I live in Holland that's a place outside London
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

No, I have a job.

Posting on here? How the hell do you manage to keep a full time job and average over 16 posts a day?!
    Even before you became a 'nark' as DDD calls you I wondered how you did it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

No, I have a job.

Posting on here? How the hell do you manage to keep a full time job and average over 16 posts a day?!
    Even before you became a 'nark' as DDD calls you I wondered how you did it.

We have no work.

Seriously. I'd love to have less time to write on this thing. Unfortunately, there's not much else to do around here. Big boss won't let us leave early, and my boss can't get any mandates in the door.

There's only so many times you can call someone saying you have a job when you don't before you lose all credibility. I'm refusing to go down that path since I reckon that will hurt me in the long run.

Sucks for me since I get a lot my pay for placing people, and well, we're not.

At this rate, we're getting salary cuts too.

Fun times.

This is a distraction from the reality that I'm at a place that's slowly sinking.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Wait until Rick gets a real job. Then he'll complain he has to work rather than complaining about the people he shares an office with. ;-)
    I won't be there as it's too far out of my way. Also, as I think the blokes a complete tool I think it may just make him feel even more justified to hold his particular viewpoint.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Was on a stag-do at the weekend and best man had organised cabs between the various entertainments during the day. Of course he'd chosen AL because that seems to be the default for most people.

I turned up to the first thing, took one look at the cabs sitting there and said "No way, I'm getting a black cab", I hope not in an "I'm attention seeking and causing a fuss" way. One or two of my friends listened to the explanation and were various shades of supportive (they indulge me and what they think of as my strange obsession!) When we were heading home after the disco ;-) they were quite happy to go with someone else, as long as I organised it.

Joke was, on both occasions, it worked out cheaper.

Not that our driver on the way home was any better than the stereotypical AL driver, but at least I made some sort of stand.

Reckon that's better than turning up at their office and acting like a kn0b.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Reckon that's better than turning up at their office and acting like a kn0b.
    Indeed, vote with your wallets.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    iPete wrote:
    Not for me, all for large flash rides but cheesy protest that'll isolate people, no thanks.

Could be said to be a tad contadictory
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    No.

Not everyone lives in Londarrrnnn you know... :|
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    No. I don't think AL drivers are stand out worse than other minicab/black cab drivers where respecting cyclists is concerned and although Mr Griffin went about it in a silly, generalising way (just as we do about AL drivers) I think he raised some points that perhaps do need discussing. This die-in looks like attention seeking that will not do cycle commuters in general any favours to me.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    spen666 wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Could be said to be a tad contadictory

yes it could
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I won't be attending as I live 200 miles away so I'm probably fairly safe from this taxi firm........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    http://road.cc/content/news/57006-london-cyclists-plan-addison-lee-die

So, will you be attending this and if so why? And if not, why not?

No.

It's cold.

It's wet.

I don't do "lying on the pavement" in the best of weathers.

I'm certainly not doing it today.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Right, so who were the 3 people who said yes?
    Food Chain number = 4

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Only just back from dropping someone off, in Bognor Regis. So not really possible.

Not sure I would any way think he's just after attention, in many ways.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I said yes but hadn't really read the pool properly, I agree with it but fu<k lying down on the ground
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    Rolf F wrote:
    I won't be attending as I live 200 miles away so I'm probably fairly safe from this taxi firm........

i wouldn't be so sure... Addison Lee vehicles changing lanes have been known to swerve across entire timezones.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail