peak district around edale/ lady bower resevoir

sloppycowpat
sloppycowpat Posts: 349
edited May 2012 in Routes
Hey guys,

I am looking at another weeks hol in the peaks and was wondering about the best descents and routes etc around this area

ideally within 30 miles of edale/hope valley/ ladybower res

cheers
worst moment ever...
buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!

Comments

• Mylo Tylo
    Mylo Tylo Posts: 79
    Its all good around that area, I make it there at least 3 times a year always worth the 1.5hr drive, never get bored, pick of the bunch for me, the beast and Jacobs ladder very steep and techy, Mam tor and cutgate, but I can't say IMO there is a bad one, but thats what I ride for legs in the air and shouting weeeeee.
    Whyte JW2
    Gimp Perv (BMX)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    As mentioned, all good. But Chapel gate has been repaired :evil: and is now a dull farm track.
    Cutgate is great, but you'll need a decent spell of weather as it can get very boggy in places. But the descent from the top of Margery hill always will be a winner. :D
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Mylo Tylo
    I always choose a nice day to ride round there, can be harsh otherwise plus when wet the muck round there is like grinding paste, not good for your cogs. Just to add again every descent is good you will not be disappointed. Get yourself a Vertebrate guide book dark peak trails, that's what I started with when first riding there. Once familiar with area can plan own routes. Visitor centre at ladybower sells the guide book as do most bikeshops.
    Whyte JW2
    Gimp Perv (BMX)
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Mylo Tylo

I've not heard of the Vertebrate dark peak trail's guide book before but will certainly be checking it out as i've not been up the Peak District for a hell of a long time so it's probably changed a bit since i was last up there in 1989 :oops: .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    Try> www.bikemaps.co.uk/ladybower.htm.......aint used it myself but might be worth a look at £2-99,and also this is a nice little route as well>http://routes.allthegearnoidea.net/ladybower.html.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Just go and buy an OS map, then you can make up plenty of rides, there are so many possibilities.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • IT66T
    altern_8 wrote:
    Try> http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/ladybower.htm.......aint used it myself but might be worth a look at £2-99,and also this is a nice little route as well>http://routes.allthegearnoidea.net/ladybower.html.

Thanks for that and i've given it a look and i remember riding that section called The Beast before but i didn't know it had a name :shock: but i reckon i'll pop in the local library and check for maps in there 1st and if i have any luck then i'll photo copy them and make my own routes out which shouldn't cost more than 50p lol .
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Mylo Tylo
    The guide books are not cheap (£15 ish) but they do one for all popular biking areas. Very easy and cheap planning routes round peaks using internet. Every adventurer should have an OS map!
    Whyte JW2
    Gimp Perv (BMX)
  • IT66T
    I've never had an OS map but it would probably be a wise investment and although i can use the Internet to plan routes in the peaks i can't take that info with me as i don't have a printer and my phone won't download from the Internet .
  • Mylo Tylo
    IT66T wrote:
    I've never had an OS map but it would probably be a wise investment and although i can use the Internet to plan routes in the peaks i can't take that info with me as i don't have a printer and my phone won't download from the Internet .

Must be my old mans influence he has every pink OS map for the UK, sad maybe but ramblers can be a bit. I use the brown ones for route planning (more detail) then photcopy (5p local supermarket) the section i'm riding, highlight the route and take that with me just in case I get lost but try to memorise route, pretty good at that.
    The map for the peaks is massive once opened and can take some folding up.
    Whyte JW2
    Gimp Perv (BMX)
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    altern_8 wrote:

This was the route a did about 6 weeks ago, the first time I'd done any of the peaks, was ace. Though I'd defiantly recommend have a map of some description, I needed one. I've just bought the Vertebrae book for future trips and it look very good indeed.
  • IT66T
    Mylo Tylo wrote:
    Must be my old mans influence he has every pink OS map for the UK, sad maybe but ramblers can be a bit. I use the brown ones for route planning (more detail) then photcopy (5p local supermarket) the section i'm riding, highlight the route and take that with me just in case I get lost but try to memorise route, pretty good at that.
    The map for the peaks is massive once opened and can take some folding up.

Thanks for that bit of info Mylo , I'll see if i can get hold of the brown OS for the area i'm after then but i can't get photo copying as cheap as 5p, minimum price i can get it 15p for an A4 size copy lol .
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    hi, this is the map you need = os explorer map, the peak district, sheet ol1
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • waughie
    waughie Posts: 180
    Have a google for 'the edge cycle work's' then go into the routes section. My cousin has set out a few routes in the area.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    altern_8 wrote:
    Try> http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/ladybower.htm.......aint used it myself but might be worth a look at £2-99,and also this is a nice little route as well>http://routes.allthegearnoidea.net/ladybower.html.

Did this a couple of years ago, well worth it and a good XC ride.
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    We do a few diff variations of the 2 routes i linked above,a lot of peeps like to go down the "beast" but we prefer to go down Blackley Hey instead and also "Suicide Brakes" is a good downhill.And if you start at Ladybower there is the "screaming mile" to go up and then the descent down "Hagg Farm" which then can be linked back to Hope Cross.
  • IT66T
    gaz047 wrote:
    hi, this is the map you need = os explorer map, the peak district, sheet ol1

Thanks for that mate , i'll make i note of that lol ;) .
    altern_8 wrote:
    We do a few diff variations of the 2 routes i linked above,a lot of peeps like to go down the "beast" but we prefer to go down Blackley Hey instead and also "Suicide Brakes" is a good downhill.And if you start at Ladybower there is the "screaming mile" to go up and then the descent down "Hagg Farm" which then can be linked back to Hope Cross.

That sounds good altern8 so that's one route i'll have to give a bash when i'm ready 8) .
    waughie wrote:
    Have a google for 'the edge cycle work's' then go into the routes section. My cousin has set out a few routes in the area.

Yeah!! i'll just that thanks mate ;) .