Do not use for freeride/Downhill

SPARTdAN
SPARTdAN Posts: 26
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a Giant Talon 29er 2 to get back into mountain biking but the front forks have a generous warning not to use for freeride/down hill - my question is, would downhill use be OK if I didn't get high air? At least then I could get back into that before I can shell out on some expensive forks that can handle it.

:) Also would these forks suffice? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNTOUR-EPICO ... 281wt_1195

Dan

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Depends a lot on what your own definition of "freeride/downhill" is (and their's of course). A Talon 29er isn't in any way a freeride or downhill bike. That's not to say that you can't ride downhill on it though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    riding Down a hill is fine the bike is not a Downhill bike so is not equiped with DH parts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do you mean riding down hills or riding Downhill?

DH bike
    gt_fury_600.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SPARTdAN
    Single track, going to wales (brecons) and following some trails. I'll get decent forks when I can. I don't plan on doing the insane stuff until I can get a good fullsus.

I mostly meant will the forks that came with it be OK for more than going over some fields/bumpy terrain and more of this stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4ql6aX ... re=related
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea what the standard forks are.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SPARTdAN
    cooldad wrote:
    No idea what the standard forks are.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 041/48916/

"SR XCT 29", 100mm Travel"
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    As I said in the other thread, they'll be fine, not the best, but fine.

I've got fox 36's on my enduro and occasionally i'll go over some similar rocky ground on my carrera with suntours on and i'm still alive. They are nowhere near as good, but they work.
  • SPARTdAN
    DodgeT wrote:
    As I said in the other thread, they'll be fine, not the best, but fine.

I've got fox 36's on my enduro and occasionally i'll go over some similar rocky ground on my carrera with suntours on and i'm still alive. They are nowhere near as good, but they work.

Sorry, thought I'd start a new thread rather than hijack an existing. Thanks for answering, just needed to know they'd survive until I can buy some decent ones.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    No worries. If they don't survive (which i'm sure they will), then you'll just have to upgrade sooner :)
    Nothing better than upgrading for no reason, i'm the king of it !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My old GT said not for downhill use. I rode it down hills, and Downhill. It survived. If anything I'd say it was more robust than most trail bikes. A right tank.

It's just legal stuff. Can't sue if you do DH and break a component.

As for whether it will break with DH, it depends how you ride. Cwmcarn being a classic example, you can roll that on a hard tail, maybe even a rigid!... or you can hit it big and kill the bike (or yourself).