Soho in the '70s

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If you watch original episodes of Randall & Hopkirk (1969) a lot of the exterior shots are of central London. Two things leap out - the complete lack of traffic, and the ability to park just about anywhere that takes your fancy. And the fashions. Three things leap out then. I didn't expect that.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    CiB wrote:
    If you watch original episodes of Randall & Hopkirk (1969) a lot of the exterior shots are of central London. Two things leap out - the complete lack of traffic, and the ability to park just about anywhere that takes your fancy. And the fashions. Three things leap out then. I didn't expect that.

Yeah I noticed that when watching 70s dramas.... The Sweeney's another one like that. 1 episode of Randall I watched a while back showed the Barbican being built!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    A liitle earlier, but at the start of the Ipcress Files, they film quite a bit around South Ken and the museums. No traffic, pull up to the kerb wherever you want and park the car. Not possible today without paying out a fortune.

I personally think the government need to grab the issue of congestion by the balls and make driving the worst option by a long way, and make PT or greener alternatives massively more favourable. Problem is its not a vote winning move.
  • rick_chasey
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    A liitle earlier, but at the start of the Ipcress Files, they film quite a bit around South Ken and the museums. No traffic, pull up to the kerb wherever you want and park the car. Not possible today without paying out a fortune.

I personally think the government need to grab the issue of congestion by the balls and make driving the worst option by a long way, and make PT or greener alternatives massively more favourable. Problem is its not a vote winning move.

Yeah.

There are also a lot more people in London.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If all the people/families in London who drive on a weekend decided to take public transport, public transport wouldn't cope.

London is just too congested in general. There is also the anti-social and loutish behaviour of those on trains (weekends) from 6pm onwards. Trust me, with a little baby, it isn't a nice experience.

I'm not sure punishing drivers further would help.

Anyway, those pictures do look nice. I'm told it was simply a better time.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah. Watching that '70s prog on BBC makes it sound particularly optimistic.

The figures for all the bad stuff in society, crime, murder rates, discrimination etc, are all higher in the '70s than they are now - with the exception of hard drugs.

I often think this when people talk about social welfare places for disabled people or support for abused children or whatever - more often than not they're less than 30 years old.

Quick question - I know the '70s enjoyed a lot brown colour wise, but was everything as faded as they look in the pictures - or is it just the picture quality?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The figures for all the bad stuff in society, crime, murder rates, discrimination etc, are all higher in the '70s than they are now - with the exception of hard drugs.
    Really or are you basing it on ancedtal evidence?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If all the people/families in London who drive on a weekend decided to take public transport, public transport wouldn't cope.

London is just too congested in general. There is also the anti-social and loutish behaviour of those on trains (weekends) from 6pm onwards. Trust me, with a little baby, it isn't a nice experience.

I'm not sure punishing drivers further would help.

Yeah a better time. More sexism, more racism, more powercuts, more inflation...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Quick question - I know the '70s enjoyed a lot brown colour wise, but was everything as faded as they look in the pictures - or is it just the picture quality?
    Yeah, everything was faded in the 70s and even earlier than that the world was monochrome.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Everything was faded. Still... better than the 60s where everything was in black and white. And I don't know how people coped when everything was in sepia tones.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Really or are you basing it on ancedtal evidence?

Yeah for sure, look it up.

Best to look at things that were considered as bad then as now - things like domestic abuse and abuse towards minorities were more tolerated / not seen as an issue like they are today.

There have been and are peaks since - the '80s saw a big increase in crime as a result of the proliferation of illegal drugs - something which started in the '70s but really kicked up a notch later, but overall, things are better.

There are also studies which look at the perception of things like crime, and they stay pretty much constant whatever is happening to actual rates.
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:

Everything was faded. Still... better than the 60s where everything was in black and white. And I don't know how people coped when everything was in sepia tones.
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Yeah, everything was faded in the 70s and even earlier than that the world was monochrome.

homer_boring.gif

:P
  • EKE_38BPM
    Ben6899 wrote:

EKE_38BPM wrote:

homer_boring.gif

:P
    Well, you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer.

• rick_chasey
    No I mean it. For all I know things may not have been as brightly coloured.
  • mr_ribble
    What about Snooker? How did they play snooker back then, let alone watch it.

Can you tell what is it yet, shouts Rolf.... no shout the audience, Its just all grey.. is it a Battleship?
  • EKE_38BPM
    I like you, you're funny. You make me chuckle.

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907

I always think the same, for me the whole of the decade was beige and brown and looks slightly washed-out.

I think it's partly down to the quality of the film, also digital photography didn't exist so those pictures that are still around today tend to have faded anyway.

That and some terrible fashion choices :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • EKE_38BPM
    Mattsaw wrote:

I always think the same, for me the whole of the decade was beige and brown and looks slightly washed-out.

I think it's partly down to the quality of the film, also digital photography didn't exist so those pictures that are still around today tend to have faded anyway.

That and some terrible fashion choices :)
    Yup, beige, brown and washed out.
    70s-Fashion.jpg
    Bang on about terrible fashion choices though.

• rick_chasey
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

70s-Fashion.jpg

I call that '60s. :P
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

70s-Fashion.jpg

I call that '60s. :P
    You'd be wrong.

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I can see beige and brown in that picture :wink:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    Ben6899 wrote:

dadbandwandcolour.jpg
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • mr_ribble
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

Yeah.

1971 = 7,452,520
    2006 = 7,657,300

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... .80.932000
  • rick_chasey
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

Yeah.

1971 = 7,452,520
    2006 = 7,657,300

'Cor - I stand corrected.
  • mr_ribble
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

Yeah.

1971 = 7,452,520
    2006 = 7,657,300

'Cor - I stand corrected.

Said the man in the orthopaedic shoes
  • mr_ribble
    Have to admit, I was shocked when I found out. London population was highest after WW2. If you had asked me to guess what the population was then I would have said like 4mill perhaps.
  • rick_chasey
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    Have to admit, I was shocked when I found out. London population was highest after WW2. If you had asked me to guess what the population was then I would have said like 4mill perhaps.

Me too.
  • EKE_38BPM
    But what counts as London? Within the M25? Within the North/South Circular Roads. Within the London Boroughs? Within the area covered by the London County Council? Within the area covered by the GLC?

Conurbations in Britain don't have City Limits like they do in Yankland, so its hard to compare like with like.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Just to quickly make reference to the “I watched an old Randall and Hopkirk/The Sweeney episode the other day and the streets in Kensington were empty” contributions...

Not for a moment am I saying you’re incorrect, but I watched a new episode of “New Tricks” the other day and they were at Camden Market (in the old stables part). It was also very sparse of people, hardly anyone about. Anyone who knows Camden will know that, during the day in nice weather, there a people everywhere and it’s chocker block.

They had obviously ‘cleared the set’ or gathered on set at 7am for the purposes of shooting a clean scene. Maybe this is what happened with “Randall and Hopkirk” or “The Sweeney”?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Just to quickly make reference to the “I watched an old Randall and Hopkirk/The Sweeney episode the other day and the streets in Kensington were empty” contributions...

Not for a moment am I saying you’re incorrect, but I watched a new episode of “New Tricks” the other day and they were at Camden Market (in the old stables part). It was also very sparse of people, hardly anyone about. Anyone who knows Camden will know that, during the day in nice weather, there a people everywhere and it’s chocker block.

They had obviously ‘cleared the set’ or gathered on set at 7am for the purposes of shooting a clean scene. Maybe this is what happened with “Randall and Hopkirk” or “The Sweeney”?

Quite. They ain't documentaries.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition