Boardman Comp and Team MTB

ElliesDad
ElliesDad Posts: 245
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I started another thread regardng the Rockrider or Hoodoo when I was considering these bikes, but after coming up with a bit more cash I have narrowed my search for a new bike to the Boardman Comp or Team. Lovely bikes and the fit an feel of the Boardmans just seemed so much better and more natural than the RR or Hoodoo.

I am on the verge of ordering the Comp HT, but before I do I need to finally rule out the Team as I dont think the upgrades on the Team are worth the extra £200 for the benefit I would get out of it, unless anyone can convince me otherwise and point out something I am missing. The main difference appears to be Recon Gold's as opposed to Epicon's and X7 mechs as opposed to X5's, the Team is also a bit lighter.

One other difference is the Comp is 3x9 gearing whereas the Team is 2x10, I know its bad practice to use all the gears on a 3x9 to avoid damaging the mech/chain, but is it ok to use the full 10 cogs on each of the front cogs on a 2x10? It also seems split down the middle whether people prefer 3x9 or 2x10.
2012 Boardman FS Team
2014 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• ElliesDad
    Forgot to add, the riding I will be doing will be roads, cyclepaths and red routes!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Hi,

I have recently bought my daughter the HT Comp Fi (female specific) which has X5 shifters and front/rear mechs. It also has the Epicon. We looked at several bikes and pound for pound nothing came close. I will add the frame is really nice - smooth welds, nicely hydro-formed in all the right places 8). I`m not sure what difference you would find between the Epicon and the Recon really. The Epicon is damped and is air adjustable and is also light. If it were my money I would buy the Comp over the Team and save £200. There is very little difference in X5 and X7 and I have now used both - not enough to pay extra for anyway.

I have a Whyte with complete X9 drivetrain which is 2x10 and yes you can use the entire cassette with either chainring. But I also have XT/X9 drivetrain 3x9 on my Stumpy and I think overall I prefer the 3x9 although I have only had the Whyte for 2 months.

I really believe the Boardmans are pretty under-rated due to the Halfords connection but as long as you check it over properly prior to riding, there isn`t much too much to worry about.

These are currently £649.99 from £749.99. If you use promo code NUSMAR12, you will get an additional 10% off making £584.99. Use Quidco and you will get around £20 cashback making £565 :D:D:D

Good luck and happy hunting!!
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • ElliesDad
    Thanks for the reply, I have decided to go with the Comp HT. Like you say, for me as a beginner, I dont think I would notice any difference in the X5 to the X7 and after trawling the net the Epicons get some really good reviews and are certainly more than enough for what I will be doing. The £200 pounds I save will go towards a new cycle carrier, I have an awful strap on carrier at the moment and want to get one of the Thule ride on towbar types, Halfords do a good 3 bike one (got the wife and daughters bikes as well) for £144.

I have reserved the Comp at my local Halfords store for £584, I didnt have to use the NUS discount code as Quidco are doing a 10% voucher through their site plus 4% cashback so like you say thats another £20 or so to come back.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited April 2012
    Sounds like a good decision and a very good deal you got there.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    Good choice and great bike, love mine :D
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • ElliesDad
    Took the Comp HT out for a spin for the first time yesterday, nothing technical just about 10 miles on a mixture of roads, cycle paths and rough muddy paths!

What can I say, other than its so much of an improvement over my old Carrera. I didnt realise just how crap my old XCT forks I used to have were, the Epicons are in a completely different class as is the bike. It might just be the placebo effect but riding the Boardman seemed effortless in comparison.

Anybody wanting a hardtail in this price bracket should seriously consider the Comp!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    Glad to hear you're pleased with it. You're right in that the Epicon forks are really rather good at this price point. Easily adjustable to suit weight of the rider and handle the technical stuff with ease.
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012