Half decent TEMPORARY bike advice please

NEILHEAD
NEILHEAD Posts: 435
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,
After a pretty bad accident in 2007 i had to sell my bike and quit biking. :cry: Three operations and a rather cool pirate scar later im looking for a bike again. :D
Ive been out a few times recently on a pals spare bike and have rekindled my love of riding.
Here is mp question i only have up to £600 for a temnp bike to tide me over until i get my MASSIVE compo from my accident :wink: so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
the post "payout" bike is possibly a trek fuel 9 but any reccomendations will be thankfully recieved.
Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Carrera Fury?

Or something second hand, you'll probably be able to sell it on for almost what you paid for it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    What you gonna do with the 'temporary' bike once you get your payout? If you're gonna sell it on, as above but if you're gonna keep it I'd be inclined to get a Boardman or something like that and then get something a bit more gnarly with the insurance money. Trek Remedy?

Then you end up with a 100mm XC bike and a 150mm AM bike 8)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    What you gonna do with the 'temporary' bike once you get your payout? If you're gonna sell it on, as above but if you're gonna keep it I'd be inclined to get a Boardman or something like that and then get something a bit more gnarly with the insurance money. Trek Remedy?

Got to be a plan - why settle for one bike when you can have two?! :lol::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it will definately be temporary then go used, if you maintaint it well it may even go up in value, otherwise the Boeardman or a Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon for £500 would suite.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • NEILHEAD

Any particular model? im liking your plan :D

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The most expensive Boardman HT (or FS) you can afford (but at £600, they may all be above your budget).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Perhaps not the best bike out there, but a new Giant Talon 29er would give you some time to try a bigger wheeled bike over the next month or so, and aren't too expensive to start with (possibly pick one up for ca £440-450). Or along the same lines a Felt 29er is available around the same money.

If you're happy with a used bike though you could probably pick something very nice up for £450 on ebay/forum, and still leave you £150 for improvements if you decided to keep it. Giant Trance of 09 vintage well within your £600 judging by recent ebay listings.
  • NEILHEAD
    hmmm giant trance.