What chain?

legacydan
legacydan Posts: 62
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I had a search and didnt see any threads recommending what chains to go for. I need to get a new one after my Shimano one died a horrible death last week, so i was looking to get a new chain, with the powerlock connectors or similar and preferably the strongest one available. I see Sram ones, KMC, Campagnolo so im just curious which is the best option to go for? Bike will mainly be for off road XC and downhill riding so something thats pretty robust. When shopping for one do i just need to get one for the amount of gears you have and then fit it to length or is there other factors to consider?

Comments

• 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    KMC everytime for me. They come with a link.

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Used a Shimano chain on the Rockhopper for the whole of last season til it broke just last week. Replaced with another Shimano but I'm now converting to 10-Speed so just ordered a SRAM 1051 (with the Shimano mech & cassette) from Rose.

Looked at KMC but the only 10-Speed Rose had was €50 :shock:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I've always bought SRAM, largely because they come with a re-usable powerlink which you can save when the chain's worn out as an emergency spare (stingy, I know, but I kind of resent paying £4-£5 for a tiny little chain link).

Now I've upgraded to 10-speed, they're not reusable, but I'll probably carry on buying them anyway!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Either SRAM 971 / 991 always been fine or KMC.
    Just need to buy the correct speed, then shorten to suit.
    SRAM and KMC come with a link.
    If your 10speed, only thing to remember is SRAM 10speed links can only be used once, ie to fit the chain. So, just buy KMC links if you go SRAM 10 speed.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just buy a KMC and get a KMC link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    Or just buy a KMC and get a KMC link.

^ this