Decent leather shoes

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Staid and boring I know, but I've always walked straight into Clarks for a pair of black leather soled shoes for office or general suit duty. My current pair have about eight years and two re-soles on the clock so on the weekend off I sloped to Clarks for a replacement.

Now I did start to worry about Clarks when I took my daughter in there for some shoes a couple of years ago and found that most of the kids shoes had degenerated to the sort that have toys hidden in secret compartments under the insole to make you buy them on pester-power rather than good quality shoes for your children's feet....

Anyhow, pottered around and homed in on the one and only leather soled, welted pair of black brogues on the displays (in years past I would have been able to choose from several styles). Picked them up and the initial quality assessment was Meh. The price was £95 which was OKish, but then on enquiring to the assistant I found out that the display pair (size eight) was the only pair they had.

What is going on with Clarks? Are they slinging their reputation away and dumbing down to match the high street vinyl budget shoe outlets?

Anyway, looking at a pair of Grensons on t'net - I seem to recall that they are a decent quality brand? (Lobb and Church are a bit pricey for work shoes).
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Loake shoes are nice, bit pricey depending on styles, depending which area of the smoke you work in, there is a good shop in strutton ground that sells loakes, church and others as good prices too.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Yep, manufacturing costs have been cut to stay competitive = they ain't what they were. Have you tried Jones the Bootmaker?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Try asos.com
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I was expecting that link to lead to a bondage picture TBH :-D

• + 1 for Jones. Have several pairs of leather shoes from there and the balance between quality and price is very good. Their heels are also incredibly comfortable (if that's what you are looking for...)
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Their heels are also incredibly comfortable (if that's what you are looking for...)
    Only for the weekend shoe.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    SimonAH wrote:
    [...]

What is going on with Clarks? Are they slinging their reputation away and dumbing down to match the high street vinyl budget shoe outlets?
    [...]

Their manufacturing is now in India, Vietnam, Brazil etc- it's almost a decade since they made shoes in Somerset. I'd recommend a decent British manufacturer like those mentioned; Shipton & Heneage is worth adding in (I've a two pairs approaching 20 years). If you are visiting Oxford, do pop into Duckers in the Turl - a proper shoe shop.

For boots, R.M.Williams takes some beating.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Cheaney are very good. Company has been bought by the Church family and are a proper old English shoemaker. Cheaper than Church's and excellent quality. Staff in store are well trained and knowledgeable as well. http://www.cheaney.co.uk/

Grenson are ok - the name was bought by a guy called Tim Little who does all the design. I own 2 pairs of the boots, bought 2 years apart and the quality of the leather has visibly deteriorated. I see them more as a 'fashion' brand than a proper shoe maker.
  • SimonAH
    DrLex wrote:
    For boots, R.M.Williams takes some beating.

100% agreement on that one, damn near indestructible boots.

They also do a very nice moleskin jean.

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    If you want light and comfy have a look at the Rockport dress range. They boast that they're good enough to run a marathon in. I had a pair and they were indeed the lightest and most comfortable dress shoes I've ever worn straight out the box.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Grenson are as good as you'll get without spending top dollar
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • +1 for both Loakes and Rockport. Found the same, used to have John Lewis Oxfords... for years and years... then they stopped doing them. Moved to Rockports and never looked back, keep one pair in the office and one at home, plus some more casual slip-ons at home. Also have a pair for Loakes for best and to go with the dinner suit.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I've always worn Loakes. No complaints here.

There is a place on Southampton Row that sells them for about £60/70 a pair.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I've had good shoes from Loake, Grenson and Alfred Sargent in the past.

Note that Loake have now moved the manufacture of some of their ranges to India. If you are wanting to support British manufacturing, as well as getting a good pair of shoes, make sure you look for a pair that are made in England.

_
  • Has anybody had any experience of the Quoc Pham Tourer Shoe?
    They are SPD compatible, but reasonably pricey at £150.

0b7d6eeef2773ea49ba1bc3b9a7a0fd4.image.330x178.jpg
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You know, the most comfortable pair of office shoes I have ever bought are the Pods I am wearing now.

A bit like these:

41tA3VzTJoL._SX395_.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    are you a post boy?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    are you a post boy?

I was a postie for many years, always had DR martin shoes, marked Royal Mail.

Tough shoes still using them now... possibly not boardroom smart mind you!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643

Loakes are good, as are Barkers, better than Loakes I would say. If its the same place I'm thinking about on southhampton row, he sells Barkers too.

Churches are great but very expensive.

There used to be a market stall on the Cut nr waterloo that sold slight seconds Loakes for about £40 a pair, but I think he stopped trading a few years ago.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I bought some chelsea boots from these folks online:

http://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/

and they seem great so far. Nicely made, good quality materials, although I have only had them a few months so far.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Has anybody had any experience of the Quoc Pham Tourer Shoe?
    They are SPD compatible, but reasonably pricey at £150.

0b7d6eeef2773ea49ba1bc3b9a7a0fd4.image.330x178.jpg

Dromarti do some lovely SPD leather shoes, look far nicer than the Quoc's:

sportivo_MED.jpg

http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_29_13&products_id=15
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You have to be a postie to wear comfortable shoes?

I'm in them for 8 hours a day, I like to wear something that is office smart, comfortable and protects my feet (walking protect that is)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    edited April 2012
    I'm waiting for the local shoe shop to get these Loakes in for me to try:

badminton_2.jpg

Hopefully, they should tick the same three boxes as Kieran...

_
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    t4tomo wrote:

Loakes are good, as are Barkers, better than Loakes I would say. If its the same place I'm thinking about on southhampton row, he sells Barkers too.

Churches are great but very expensive.

There used to be a Churches outlet store at Bicester Village. I got three pairs there for £300 which should last me the next 10-15 years.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX