Assos cream

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Not knowing anything about what is good to use I thought I'd ask you lot who are more knowledgable!!!
I have heard that using Assos helps eleviate the soreness after getting sweaty down there during a ride. I find it quick tender for a few days so wondering about getting some. I know there are other makes but who makes the best ( and cheapest! )
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I've tried a couple and Assos has been the best. If you feel you need to use chamois cream to combat chaffing and soreness give it a go. Some say that Sudocrem works just as well and is cheaper, others say that you don't need anything at all...personally I prefer to use Assos and it's tingle :D .
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I always use some cream before a ride. Helps with soreness at the top of the legs. The best? Don't know about that, I have only ever used Sudocreme or now Boots own Zinc and Caster Oil cream. Not sure if it's as good as Assos, it's certainly cheaper, and it seems to be ok for me.

One thing that does not help with soreness is sitting around in your kit for a while once you get back home. I now get in the shower with 10 minutes of getting back.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I bought a tub of this when Wiggle had it on offer. It does the job superbly with the benefit of the "European feeling" a.k.a. the tingle :shock:, and being able to tease non-cycling friends by the mention of "cyclist's butter".

"Do you spread that on your bread before a ride?" :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Tiger balm
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Deep Heat, hehe
  • Wheatgerm oil - prevents and cures chaffing and soreness - slap it on before riding - get it from any decent health food shop (cheap too!)
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    used sudocrem for a while then bought some assos i would say the assos creme is far better
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Sudocreme is pretty greasy - a good alternative is Conotrane, it's very similar, but much easier to apply.

When all is said and done though - I use Assos cream for any longer rides. It's not that expensive (a tub lasts a long time). You also get the little tubs free when you buy shorts - well worth popping a little tub in the saddlebag to apply as and when required.

I use Conotrane for the one or two times I have developed sores on challenging rides (usually if it's raining for sustained periods or very hot).

When I first started riding distances, I needed cream to get me through - these days my arse has hardened somewhat and I tend to only use cream on the longer stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It is very good stuff. Seems expensive, but it lasted me aages.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Wiggle have the Udderly Smooth chamois cream on offer at the moment. I've always used Assos up to now but the Udderly stuff is about half the price and you get more in a tub so thought I'd give it a go...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • +1 for Udderly Smooth - Assos cream is ncie but more expsive and I find it less effective.

Use Sudocreme afterwards on any sore bits. Or just use Zinc cream is its much the same.

If you're really tight, you can buy Udder Cream at a Farmers Shop (yes, the suff for cows teats) as its 95% the same as Assos/Udderly Smooth. Been there and done that for years .....
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    +1 for Udderly Smooth
    I use for the comutes and shorter rides and save the Assos for the longer rides.

Works for me.
    did not use cream for the comute to start with but at the end of the week was tender so started and now fine.
  • Not knowing anything about what is good to use I thought I'd ask you lot who are more knowledgable!!!
    I have heard that using Assos helps eleviate the soreness after getting sweaty down there during a ride. I find it quick tender for a few days so wondering about getting some.
    All the usual suspects (Assos/Udderly Smooth/Sudocreme/Chamois Butt'r) plus a host of others will reduce friction and therefore soreness assuming your soreness is caused by friction alone. It would be worth you providing some context as your shorts, saddle or position on the bike may be contributory factors to your soreness plus an idea of the time and distance you spend on the bike.

My preferred choice for longer rides on the road is Assos as the cooling effect assists prolonged time in the saddle. For regular, shorter or less intense rides I find Udderly Smooth sufficient and when pootling around for an hour or two with my nephews I won't use anything.
    I know there are other makes but who makes the best ( and cheapest! )

*Aaargh!!! :evil: * As with anything you purchase, there is no such thing as "the best" only what is best for you, and choosing a product on price alone can prove a false economy.

*and relax :) *
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    One thing that does not help with soreness is sitting around in your kit for a while

+1 Only time I have had problems has been when I have worn my cycling kit on longish car trips to/from a bike event.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Switched from Assos to Udderly Smooth to (only as they changed the Assos formula and I had a reaction to it...), seems to work as well and prefer it with no tingle :p It should help reduce the chasing you seem to be getting but once the ride has finished if you need something post-ride then Assos (and a few others) do post-ride creams to although I'd probably just use sudocreme myself (it's rubbish as an on-ride cream though).
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    Have gone and bought some Uddelry Smooth from Amazon. Bought it on their subscription service which means they send me a tub ever 6 months at £6.47 ( or around that ) which seems to be about the cheapest I could find. In terms of my rides, I'll get sweaty after any ride, but obviously more so when riding for 3 hours plus ( 2x42 and a 48mile longest ride ). I find it quite tender for a few days afterwards but that will also be because I'm new to cycling having only had my bike for under a month
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    A serious question from an ignorant person...Which bit is rubbing against what to cause frictional 'burn' that requires the cream, and does changing the materials help?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • In my opinion the assos is a complete rip off. I use the udderly smooth from wiggle and have never had a problem with it.
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.