Freeride bike up to £2k

Dirtrider
Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I know there is a similar post to this below, but specifics are rather different. I am after a full sus freeride bike, something like a canyon torque, rose beefcake, lapierre froggy. Anyway, I have around £1000 in cash to spend, on a second hand bike, or can go up to about £2 grand on a new one which would be on finance (which takes Canyon/rose out of the equation as they don’t do finance).

Does anyone have suggestions on any others, and links preferably?
For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Was speaking to a DH instructor a couple of weeks back who swears by his Trek Scratch - uses it for everything. Felt a bit heavy to me - he reckoned it was 16kg

Here's a 2010 Air version;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-Scratch-Air-6-2010-Large-Complete-Bike-/140733417315?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item20c45d8763#ht_1122wt_1185
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Almost a stupid question, but what are you going to use it for?

Could you perhaps get away with slightly less travel, as this opens up a load more options second hand.

Giant Reign X? Specialized SX Trail? Orange Patriot 66?

All classic long travel bikes, you should get a decent build on one for £1000.
  • Dirtrider
    I know what you mean, it's going to be used for uplift days, downhill races etc.

I would like something that I could ride up a hill, slightly as well, but I have a trail centre bike anyway. Not a fan of giant reign's, and not touching an orange after bad experiences.

any more options?
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use a Giant Reign X for everything. I'm no more than averagely fit bit I have no problem riding up most hills, for a big bike with coil suspension it pedals extremely well. I did 26 miles yesterday on the Quantocks without any problems.
    For downhill it's pretty good, I have done a few races on it & did better than planty of riders on 8" travel bikes. It takes 8' drops without any problems, Chris Smith used to ride one when he rode for Giant as a pro freerider and he launched it off plenty of cliffs and did all sorts of stupid things on it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Scott Voltage FR20, Lapierre Forggy 318, Spesh Status maybe.
    Dirtrider wrote:
    I would like something that I could ride up a hill, slightly as well
    Have a Voltage FR20 meself it is rideable 9 miles across Cannock to Stile Cop & back. Actually it is pretty good on the official trails it's a bit like taking a shark to the swimming pool :)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Aye, a scott voltage FR is always a good call
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you want to be able to ride up hill forget the Voltage FR. Great freeride bike but pedalling up hill it's no better than any downhill bike
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I use a Giant Reign X for everything. I'm no more than averagely fit bit I have no problem riding up most hills, for a big bike with coil suspension it pedals extremely well. I did 26 miles yesterday on the Quantocks without any problems.
    For downhill it's pretty good, I have done a few races on it & did better than planty of riders on 8" travel bikes. It takes 8' drops without any problems, Chris Smith used to ride one when he rode for Giant as a pro freerider and he launched it off plenty of cliffs and did all sorts of stupid things on it.

Feels like you are advertising for them. I think he already dismissed the Reign X. After your recommendation and did a bit research apparently their frame is not that durable.

A guy broke his new bike twice in less than a few months and having problem with replacment. Apparently they have quality issues.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    A Canyon Torque FRX 6.0 Speedzone would come in a little under £1900 delivered.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i in a simlar situation as you looking at around 2.5k tops..

i know you mention finance but if you could get around it.
    i been looking at canyon torque frx
    or the yt indutstries tues.
    both offer a decent bike for little money.
    yt ind

the tue fr comes in at around £1700
    and the tues dh at around £1500
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    PM'd you...
  • Dirtrider
    Got the PM, having a think now.

Not interested in a reign, good bikes, just not really what I'm after.

Have to do this on finance really. The time it would take me to save the rest would make it after summer. I'm still having a look around. Anymore suggestions more than welcome..........
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm