What is it with these wide bars....

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Someone needs to invent sturdy lockon grips that add 2-4cm to each end, so people can try different sizes without commiting or requiring hacksaws :) Can't see it being hugely lethal, surely they wouldn't add any more force than someone with bar ends.
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Good idea Toasty but while theirs bigger bars to be had out there then i can't see it catching on as all you need to do is go out and buy some new bars 4-8cm bigger and cut them to suit if need be .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • I was in the Harz mountains recently and had to use a certain bike. It had a very narrow bar. The climbs were ok but I didn't enjoy it so much going down, but it did fit between gaps nicely.

My normal bike is a Ghost 5900. TBH, I don't know what width the bars are or the length of the stem, but they are really comfortable and I don't feel any need to change anything. All I have had to do is move the saddle slightly further forward on its rail to make getting off the back a bit easier and now its spot on. It's still as it was built and I love it.
  • IT66T
    Well Red.Devil.Ghost ,

The narrower bars don't suit every one but as you've pointed out they can make certain situations easier and if you've never had to change or alter yours then you've been fortunate in your choice of bike or it could just be the case that you new what you were after when you bought it lol .
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Toasty wrote:
    Someone needs to invent sturdy lockon grips that add 2-4cm to each end, so people can try different sizes without commiting or requiring hacksaws :) Can't see it being hugely lethal, surely they wouldn't add any more force than someone with bar ends.
    People can try different (narrower) sizes without using a hacksaw - just move the grips inboard.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Toasty wrote:
    Someone needs to invent sturdy lockon grips
    ODI have their Wingtips but you need their Flight Control bar as well. Have run lock-on grips 10mm outboard in the past just to get an idea of the extra width.
  • Sorry just to remove any confusion - the narrower bars were on a different bike. Overall I didn't really like it that much. I am much happier with my Ghost.

There may be better options out there, but at the moment the ones I have are comfortable and not causing me any problems so why change them? The only thing I want to change from stock is the tyres.
  • IT66T
    No Confusion Red.Devil ,

I do understand you were on about a different bike regarding the narrower bars but hadn't realised i hadn't metioned it in my post lol ;) .
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    10mm shaved off either end now so down to 760mm - will pop out for a spin this afternoon and see how it feels.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    We've got dropper seat posts, we need adjustable bars. Shove in a bit of hydraulics and a button on the end, then you can have those bars adjust to suit the terrain :D
  • toasty
    Toasty wrote:
    People can try different (narrower) sizes without using a hacksaw - just move the grips inboard.

My point being that almost all bikes come with 660-685 style bars. The idea of spending £30+, to then have to potentially use a hacksaw to turn your new purchase into exactly what your old purchase was seems stupid. You could swap them between bikes in seconds for a play as well.

I have a few stem lenths kicking around for similar faffing.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    styxd wrote:
    And I didn't realize that riser bars are a fashion either - they seem to be perfectly functional to me

Of course they're a fashion. If you want to have higher bars, then the obvious engineering solution is to make the bars flat and give the stem some rise.
    what an amazing idea, maybe you should contact one of the big names about this, then they could stop making all the ones with silly 5 and 6 degree rises etc, or maybe someone should have a word with god/evolution, whatever your belief, on why they made people different shapes and sizes, what the hell were they thinking :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • 99thmonkey
    99thmonkey Posts: 667
    I cut all mine down to about 640mm but am tempted to goto 600-620 on the 29er
  • sandy771
    Toasty wrote:
    [The idea of spending £30+, to then have to potentially use a hacksaw to turn your new purchase into exactly what your old purchase was seems stupid.

OK I'm stupid - except I spent 28 quid to cut a 780mm bar down to 760mm which is not quite exactly what my old purchase was (690mm). After trying the bars at 780mm and then taklng them for a 760mm spin today I may cut them down to 750mm but not sure I would go much shorter - I like 'em.
  • wide bars mean you cant get through narrow gaps (720s)
    So I found out the other day

780 is just daft.

Lets see how many people are riding over 680 in three years time ...
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    wide bars mean you cant get through narrow gaps (720s)

780 is just daft.

I will be.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    780 is just daft.
    are they even wide? try taking a look at superstars yard stick a full 915mm, now those you can call wide :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    wide bars mean you cant get through narrow gaps (720s)

780 is just daft.

I will be.
    +1 potato, 680 bars are silly narrow. I've only had a couple of accidents involving clipping trees with my bars since i've been running wide bars (750mm). They could have ended badly, but that's two crashes out of god knows how many I've had over that period (a LOT), and this is riding some silly tight trails. If you can't get your bars round trees, then either the trail is crap and too narrow to begin with, or you need to work on your technique. (this is of course my opinion).

That said, I've only started clipping trees as I've started riding faster... :roll:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • toasty
    780mm bar down to 760mm which is not quite exactly what my old purchase was (690mm)

Not quite what I meant, 760 is staggeringly different to 690 :P to be honest I bet most riders can tell the difference between a set of 710s and 685s.
  • sandy771
    Toasty wrote:
    Not quite what I meant,

Try being clearer then :)
  • toasty
    use a hacksaw to turn your new purchase into exactly what your old purchase was
    780mm bar down to 760mm which is not quite exactly what my old purchase was (690mm)

I thought it was fairly obvious, not even vaguely the same then. :roll:
  • deadkenny wrote:
    We've got dropper seat posts, we need adjustable bars. Shove in a bit of hydraulics and a button on the end, then you can have those bars adjust to suit the terrain :D
    That is actually a genius idea! Make it work and you are on to some money there!

The adjusting needs to be done in the middle to avoid issues with the grips and controls in the wrong place but it could be done.

I expect to see these in production within 12 months now! Get working...
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    780 is just daft.
    are they even wide? try taking a look at superstars yard stick a full 915mm, now those you can call wide :wink:

For FR or XC?

I can understand wide if you hacking down alpine tracks
    In the uk, trees seem to be quite common
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    To me choice of bars has nothing to do with gaps you go through - but how the bike handles and feels. Or what suits you ergonomically. I would 99% of people run between 600 and 800mm. I would say 99% of people also have 40-110mm stems, and 99% have 12.5-23 inch frames. Like wheel sizes now, just seems a normal range to me.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It is strange how much of a range there is in handlebar widths, when people's shoulders don't have such a vast range.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    It is strange how much of a range there is in handlebar widths, when people's shoulders don't have such a vast range.

yeh but then i would guess there is a natural set to the shoulders too, so they naturaly sit at slightly different angles which would provide for a larger range of sizes?

Just a thought?
  • YeehaaMcgee

yeh but then i would guess there is a natural set to the shoulders too, so they naturaly sit at slightly different angles which would provide for a larger range of sizes?

Just a thought?
    hmm, you might be right.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594

Just a thought?
    hmm, you might be right.

Holy shaz, this is gonna be my new signature!!!
  • sandy771

Don't know about the yard stick, but I would say my shoulders are a good 10cm wider than some of my riding buddies who are on bars of about 690mm so my 760's when looked at that way seem quite reasonable.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    sandy771 wrote:

Don't know about the yard stick, but I would say my shoulders are a good 10cm wider than some of my riding buddies who are on bars of about 690mm so my 760's when looked at that way seem quite reasonable.
    10cm? you reckon?
    I haven't ever thought of measuring, but I'm seemingly far wider than my best mate, but I doubt there's an actual 10 or 20cm measured difference.