2012 wrynose or bust

The-beast
The-beast Posts: 140
anyone done this or planning to do this event... how many meters of accent is the 112 mile route just so i can plan a bit better on my pace?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Im not going to do it, but I cycle bits (the S Lakes areas) of the route on a daily basis, or near enough. Theres few hills, but nothing severe. Obviously the hardest one is Wrynose but you tackle it from the Seathwaite side anyway so its not particularly tough.

The Southern most part of the route before you cross the A590 is relatively flat
  • cush123
    cush123 Posts: 75
    Off to this on Sunday and like you, was hoping to find out climbing info. Looking forward to it . . first Sportive of the year.
  • The-beast
    plotted the course on bikeroutetoater.com and it was around 1700m but this isnt very accurate... the legs may tell a different story on the day
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have done it and as far as sportives in the Lakes go its one of the less severe ones. By no means easy but not really crazy in comparison to the Fred or the Cumbrian. I dont use a computer but my legs dont tell fibs.
    Brian B.
  • The-beast
    must admit with the 25mph head wind out of halton and rain forcasted im not overly looking forward to this one although it just adds to the epicness :lol::lol::lol:
  • waynobfc
    waynobfc Posts: 32
    Well that weather made today a totally different beast 30mph headwinds, driving rain, forgot gels ......

Character building as they say!
    I Dont Ride Hills, I Climb Mountains!

2010 Scott S40
    2011 Wilier Izoard XP
  • The-beast
    That direct Gail force head wind at the foot of wrynose is like nothing I've ever experienced... That was insane today
    I came back a differant man
  • Scotter
    Scotter Posts: 52
    Absolutely apocalyptic ride back to Halton. First time I`ve needed a space blanket to warm up at the end of a sportive!
    Quite frightening really!
    I presume there would`ve been others in a worse state than me.

I was praying that I didn`t puncture in the last 30miles as my hands were completely frozen solid. There`s no way I would`ve been able to change the tube! My fingers were so numb (even with full waterproof gloves on!) I had to use the palms of my hands to operate the STIs!

Does anyone know how the guy who fell on the Tow top descent is?
  • The-beast
    Not a clue but I passed him an the people looking after him said he was being picked up... I had the unfortunate pleasure of a puncture at 15 miles to go... The feeling of utter disbelief was overwhelming
  • Scotter
    Scotter Posts: 52
    The-beast wrote:
    Not a clue but I passed him an the people looking after him said he was being picked up... I had the unfortunate pleasure of a puncture at 15 miles to go... The feeling of utter disbelief was overwhelming

Unlucky, bud. :(
    With so much fallen debris on the roads, plus the deluge conditions, punctures were inevitable, unfortunately. :(
  • young dog
    young dog Posts: 64
    I was riding in the area on Sunday and rode up Tow Top- a bit steep, narrow and a coarse surface.met the marshal that had just arrived at the top. It's too steep to send groups of riders down unless they know the road. If one person at the front of a group spooks, there could be a pile up!
    The ride looked very well organised with the exception of too many right turns putting riders in further danger. A great looking ride that just needs tweaking.
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I made it to the finish about 1pm,the driving rain was turning to sleet,it was 4 degrees C and I'd missed a turning near the end and finished up doing an extra 4 miles.Character building stuff indeed!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Reading this makes me glad I chose the Bay Dash - even that took it out of me, I've not been that knackered in a long while!
    It was my first ever sportive, and the thought of doing another 50 miles on top of that just doesn't bear thinking about at my level, but fair play to those who did it, well done on what will have been a very taxing day indeed.
    I don't think I've ever ridden in wind like that, there were places where level ground felt like a steep hill, it was that strong. On the Bay Dash, from Cark to Cartmel was horrific, probably the worst place for me, I felt I was going backwards at times.
    Tow Top - despite living in this area, it's somewhere I've never been before, and boy, I nearly had to change my tights afterwards! Not only steep, but twisty and littered with gravel, thankfully I reached it before the rain really came down so my brakes were at their best.
    I started with good waterproof gloves on, but changed them early doors as my hands were getting too warm - but by the time I realised my hands were freezing to the handlebars, I couldn't find the will to change back, so I just kept going with fingerless gloves.
    Getting into a hot shower at the end was bliss, even though frozen fingers meant it took about 10 minutes to get undressed!

Great fun.
  • waynobfc wrote:
    Well that weather made today a totally different beast 30mph headwinds, driving rain, forgot gels ......

Character building as they say!

Did you wear your Pendle forest cycling club kit on this event ?