20mm front hub slight play

ant1901
ant1901 Posts: 646
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all
i have just got a newish wheel off a mate its a on one 20mm hub but there is slight play in it when moved side to side is this a easy fix.....thanks
2011 on one 456 carbon x9

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Might be easy might be hard.

What hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ant1901
    onone 20mm bolt thru
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    From an On-One Max adaptable wheelset? I sent mine back, the new ones did exactly the same after about a week of riding, I got sick of having no wheels so I'm just riding them into the ground, and replacing with something good. Very small amount of play though, new bearings might sort it, may well just be low quality bearings.

Emailed On-One and they told me:
    Thank you for your e mail.

All wheels will have a certain amount of "play" in them. This is so the can handle the lateral load that can sometimes pass through the front and rear wheels.

Which was one of the most blindingly stupid replies to a returns department I've ever had, especially given it was my second set, and the issue was confirmed with the first ones, and a replacement sent.
  • ant1901
    haha thanks mate they seem useless ive decided the same now wreck the wheel and buy decent,cheers
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I has a customer who has a Whyte 901 with a similar problem. His hubs where Formula rebranded as Whyte and the bearings where fine it was the 20mm bolt through flanges that wobbled. Built him new wheels and problem solved.

You are making tyhe right decsion with getting new wheels and Shimano's SLX and XT bolt hubs do not seem to suffer from this problem. I hate it when a company cheaps out on hubs in thier wheels.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just as a quick sanity check, the daughters BF's bike had slight play on a 20mm with Halo wheels, I tightened up the axle a smidgen, problem solved, the play was the hub moving on the axle not in the bearings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Toasty wrote:
    new bearings might sort it, may well just be low quality bearings.

They're EZO in the max hubs, so not exactly crapola bearings inc, from the back end of nowhere. I imagine its more likely the bearing wasn't quite pressed home to begin with, and a weeks riding has seated it properly - as a result the through axle needs tightening. Could be wrong, but...
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I'm using the QR dropouts on the front, so nay! I've also popped the bearings out and refit them, very simple cartridge hubs, they just seem badly machined imo. I think it's the end caps in my case curiously, might try some Nukeproof ones, as I'm sure they're the same thing.

They went back to the factory first time, no one could explain the problem, and I got a replacement set. So clearly it's not the QR not being done up :P
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Toasty wrote:
    I'm using the QR dropouts on the front, so nay! I've also popped the bearings out and refit them, very simple cartridge hubs, they just seem badly machined imo. I think it's the end caps in my case curiously, might try some Nukeproof ones, as I'm sure they're the same thing.

They went back to the factory first time, no one could explain the problem, and I got a replacement set. So clearly it's not the QR not being done up :P

fair enough points

maybe it is/was a dodgy batch of hub shells or end caps, these things happen

although I would have expected on-one's customer service to (a) know their arse from their elbow and (b) actually try and fix the problem instead of going la-la-la-its-all-ok