butt bones hurt

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I have been commuting about 17 miles each way for about 5 times over the last week.

I have a run of the mill mtb seat, tesco padded shorts and yet after about half an hour I am in pain. Today though I am still in mild discomfort.

Is if the seat, shorts.or should I just MTFU?

Thanks

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Sorry - but it sounds like rule #5 applies...

If it's chaffing, saddle sore or numb nuts, then look at a new saddle - but if it's sore sit bones, it could just be a matter of getting used to it.
  • Is this your first week of doing that, or have you been covering that distance for a while? If this is your first week, you might find that it eases after a few more weeks. If it's been like it for a while you might want to try a different saddle and shorts with more padding.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Better quality shorts will help. and time to get used to it.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Probably just time to get used to it. I've been off the bike for a couple weeks and been out today for the first time, I'm not in pain but I was certainly starting to feel it.

It doesn't take long to go soft, but then it doesn't take long to get back to normal either.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Just to update. I changed the saddle and it made a world of difference. The old one was awful

thanks

sam
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Its strange, I own a road bike saddle yet my arse never hurts when I am out on it, doesn't really matter how far I go. However the next day my arse hurts like hell when I just sit back on the saddle. Any help?
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Its strange, I own a road bike saddle yet my ars* never hurts when I am out on it, doesn't really matter how far I go. However the next day my ars* hurts like hell when I just sit back on the saddle. Any help?

Are you using chamois cream? That might help.

I get a similar thing when running distance where the seams of my shorts rub - not a problem when running, but a day later and there are painful red lines of chafing. :evil:
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Its strange, I own a road bike saddle yet my ars* never hurts when I am out on it, doesn't really matter how far I go. However the next day my ars* hurts like hell when I just sit back on the saddle. Any help?
    I get that too. I rub myself with a decent quantity of Rule 5 and get on with it. ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Butt bone pain is more often than not due to the wrong saddle size. Worth a measurement which can be done at the LBS or at home if you have a piece of tin foil and a stair step :D Put foil on stair step. Sit on foil and raise your knees up so all the weight is on your sit bones of your butt. When you get up you should see the depressions of the bones in the foil and can measure their distance apart.

Most saddles come in three sizes of 132mm, 145mm and 154mm width. Get the size that best fits that ensures your sit bones are perched on the saddle parts and not the saddle pushing between your bones! This is where the pain comes from if a saddle is forcing your sit bones apart.

That will help and then it's a case of MTFU to get used to it as its rare that anyone gets away without a few rides to bed in :D

But good luck with the new saddle.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Be mindful of what ALaPlage recommends or you might end up sh*ting on the foil on the stairs!

No, serious you ass will get used to it after a period of time. But you may need a new seat and a better quality of short.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    ALaPlage wrote:
    Butt bone pain is more often than not due to the wrong saddle size. Worth a measurement which can be done at the LBS or at home if you have a piece of tin foil and a stair step :D Put foil on stair step. Sit on foil and raise your knees up so all the weight is on your sit bones of your butt. When you get up you should see the depressions of the bones in the foil and can measure their distance apart.

Most saddles come in three sizes of 132mm, 145mm and 154mm width. Get the size that best fits that ensures your sit bones are perched on the saddle parts and not the saddle pushing between your bones! This is where the pain comes from if a saddle is forcing your sit bones apart.

That will help and then it's a case of MTFU to get used to it as its rare that anyone gets away without a few rides to bed in :D

But good luck with the new saddle.
    That's an inventive way of measuring... Might give it a go :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012