coed y brenin or betws y coed

stu13284
stu13284 Posts: 22
edited April 2012 in Routes
Im off to porthmadog tomorrow for the week and was wondering which would be the best place to go on the bike?
ive been to coed y brenin before but not sure how good betws y coed is? any help would be great

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Where do you mean at betws?? Penmachno is a great loop. Never done marin, but from the sounds of it, its nowhere near as good as machno. Assuming rocky singletrack is your thing !!

Or, try some of the other routes at coed y brenin. Only ever done MBR personally, want to do the beast :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    coed y brenin imo, more choice :-)
  • stu13284
    stu13284 Posts: 22
    I'm not really sure where in betws to be honest I've just heard there's some places to ride is there any other places in that area of Wales I could consider?
  • welshkev
    stu13284 wrote:
    I'm not really sure where in betws to be honest I've just heard there's some places to ride is there any other places in that area of Wales I could consider?

plenty of riding around, but i'd still recommend coed y brenin.

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centr ... renin.aspx

but compare it to this to see :D

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Bases ... _Coed.aspx
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    out of the 2 i done pen mach was good but no were near as good as cyb.. i would be doing cyb if i were you.

never done the marin but i hear it's a lot climb for very little reward..
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Marin is ok, and you can pick it up in ByC which is handy if you're staying there. I would also consider the Syfydrin Trail at Nant Yr Arian if long epic XC appeals, or Llandegla for something altogether more playful.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    benpinnick wrote:
    The Marin is ok, and you can pick it up in ByC which is handy if you're staying there. I would also consider the Syfydrin Trail at Nant Yr Arian if long epic XC appeals, or Llandegla for something altogether more playful.

I did enjoy that, some nice descents and lovely flowy singletrack... Although the climb towards the end, legburner / lungbuster what ever its called, didn't enjoy that....
  • welshkev
    benpinnick wrote:
    . I would also consider the Syfydrin Trail at Nant Yr Arian if long epic XC appeals, or Llandegla for something altogether more playful.

whilst i agree that they're both great trail centres, they're a long way from porthmaddog!
  • x3man
    x3man Posts: 85
    Coed Y Brenin - brilliant selection of singletrack that you can explore/piece together at will. Good fun in all weather.

Penmachno - very narrow, often rocky singletrack miles from anywhere. More of a "wilderness" experience if you do both loops (a fairly tough ride though). Best done when the clouds aren't too low as the views really make it what it is. A lot of polarised opinion on the place but I suspect the haters are going there with the wrong expectations/in sh1tty weather. Expect to get wet though - even if it's not raining :D

Marin I found a little uninteresting. Nice location though!