Guess the frame

Rocker8742
Rocker8742 Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Ok guys im new here and i have a frame that i purchased a few months ago and iv been looking to see who its made by but havent been able to find anything similar thought id post up here and see if anyone had any bright ideas

2012-04-22171603.jpg

2012-04-22171639.jpg

2012-04-22171630.jpg

Also the only thing stamped on the bike is
2012-04-22171732.jpg

cant make out the first part though its worn away a bit looks like A1 or something similar ??

rest of it looks like 05 152168

cheers

Comments

• looks like a http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12528 brand x dirt jump which was based on the mercian dual slalom
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • thanks for the reply, i see that its similar but the part by the downtube looks different (im a noob when it comes to bikes more of a car person lol) as on mine the top flares out rather than being a straight tube
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    looks like a http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12528 brand x dirt jump which was based on the mercian dual slalom
    They look nothing alike....

Not a clue what it actually is though mate.

EDIT: actually from the square tubing, it looks like it could be a norco of some description. The sasquatch, rampage and bigfoot all look fairly similar, where they have the same/similar tubing, dropouts and the gusset by the brake mounts, but can't see any that have that gusset by the seat tube/top tube. Though I'm 99% sure it's a norco.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks like Easton Rad (esque) tubing, Merida dropouts.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    An older style Saracen team m.a.d. trials frame ?

edit - I can't find any pics to link to or to check my guess.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • oops i meant merida not mercian

but yeh the top tube has box section odd
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Its just a cheapo generic aluminium "jump" frame. It'll be made by the same factory in taiwan that makes all the other frames that look just the same.

It could well be at least 10 years old (judging by the square taper BB and the canti brake mounts), back then it seemed almost every shop and small uk brand had that sort of frame for sale.
  • styxd
    Where did you buy it from? I guess its 2nd hand, it looks like its been resprayed perhaps.
  • Thanks for the responses and yeah its second hand been resprayed bythe guy i got it from but he didnt know the brand, i expected it was just a cheap one but im not too worried as it was picked up cheap and is a pretty light frame about the only thing that i do know is its got quite a large downpipe on it bigger than 1 1/8inch
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    An older style Saracen team m.a.d. trials frame ?

edit - I can't find any pics to link to or to check my guess.

It does look like an older Saracen frame.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A lot of the CBR farmes (when they were still a vaguely good bike) had the gusset between the top and seat tube like that, with SS, the dropouts scream Merida.

I'd suggest it's a generic Merida frame that maybe has some application specific features (like that gusset) sold to whoever wanted it.

'Downpipe'? Downtube or (more likely from the size) seat tube I assume!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • styxd
    They're referring to the headtube I think. It looks like a funny size, possibly an integrated headset. Which means its not as old as I thought it was.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Merida were doing Semi-integrated heasets from 2005.....still 7 years old!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.