Superlight budget handbuilt wheelset

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I've been looking for my next project, to build some superlight wheels on a budget, given the choice of 1500-1600g factory wheels for < £300 these days ie Planet-X and the Shimano RS range I wondered if it was possible.

It is and here's one way how to.

20 mm Carbon Rims x 2 @ 79.99 each
(24/20 spokes) 250g http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/RIP ... carbon_rim

Planet-X Pro Hubs x 2 @ 69.99 / 29.99
(24/20) 240g / 80g http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HUP ... _x_pro_hub

Sapim CX Ray Spokes x 44 @ 80-ish
(64 pcs / 272g) http://www.sapim.be/spokes/aero/cx-ray

or

(64 pcs / 231g) http://www.sapim.be/spokes/butted/super-spokes

plus

Alloy Nipples x 100 @ 11.31
(12 mm / 32g) http://www.dotbike.com/p/6874

Planet X Ti Stick Carbon QR @ 17.49
21g / 23g http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSP ... old___pair

Total Cost
Option 1. £368.54 (CX Ray) / 1065g
Option 2. £368.54+ (Super Spokes) / 1036.48g
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    But most of your weight saving is in the tubular rims - isn't it fairly easy to get those weights with tubs?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    oh and by the way those rims are tubs and you could just buy a slightly heavier version ready made direct from PX for £299.99 http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WBP ... n_wheelset

Weight front: 487 grams
    Weight rear 693 grams

Bargain I think I also think I should never have bought those digital scales
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I gotta say I'm loving the wheel I've just built using the IRD Cadence rim. 390g for an eyeletted rim - can't be bad. I think it gets most of its weight saving by being a bit narrower than normal. £40 / rim.

No idea what the overall weight is (haven't got any sufficiently accurate scales); it's waaaaaaay lighter than the WR500 it replaces (I know that's not a great reference). CRC are doing DT Revolution spokes for £23 for 36 incl. brass nipples (only a wally uses ally nipples IMO) at the moment so you can do a pretty natty build for not a lot.

Maybe combined with one of those tempting Spin hubs you posted yesterday?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • itboffin
    i'd love too but the trouble i've run out of space for all the stuff I have, I think i need a bigger house or perhaps extend the garage into one of the bedrooms :roll:
  • desweller
    itboffin wrote:
    i'd love too but the trouble i've run out of space for all the stuff I have, I think i need a bigger house or perhaps extend the garage into one of the bedrooms :roll:

You've changed man. You used to be cool.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • itboffin
    :lol:

I did notice that I have 2 pairs of almost new hand-built wheels hanging from the ceiling of the garage :oops: still there's always the conservatory, that's a bike free zone ATM :twisted:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DesWeller wrote:
    I gotta say I'm loving the wheel I've just built using the IRD Cadence rim. 390g for an eyeletted rim - can't be bad. I think it gets most of its weight saving by being a bit narrower than normal. £40 / rim.

Where did you get the rim from?

Anyone have any other suggestions for light-ish aero clincher rims in this sort of price bracket? RR585s look good, but not super-light.

I wasted far too many evenings re-gluing tubs for the TT bike last year, and have sworn never to touch another one...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • desweller
    TGOTB wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

Where did you get the rim from?

Wheelroom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • itboffin
    Update: I decided to let the LBS build this rather expensive project, i'll have a go on something easier and cheaper I think.

I'm looking forward to my first ride on the new wheelset and finding out the total weight.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Update: I decided to let the LBS build this rather expensive project, i'll have a go on something easier and cheaper I think.

I'm looking forward to my first ride on the new wheelset and finding out the total weight.

It did sound like an ambitious first build, to be honest. A wise choice.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

you saying i'm phat? i well come up there (subject to the weather) and kick you in the knees :roll:
  • itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

you saying i'm phat? i well come up there (subject to the weather) and kick you in the knees :roll:

I wasn't saying you were phat, but if the cap no-longer fits so well...

Wheel building (on a 3-cross, high spoke count wheel) is pretty easy.

Lightweight rims make it harder.
    Low spoke count make it harder.
    Super-thin or bladed spokes make it harder.
    Radial or two cross spokes make it harder.
    Alloy nipples make it harder.

I'd like to give it a go with some of the harder stuff at some point, but for a first wheel-build it would be a tough induction. Especially for someone as mechanically inept as yourself. :P
  • desweller
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I wasn't saying you were phat, but if the cap no-longer fits so well...

Wheel building (on a 3-cross, high spoke count wheel) is pretty easy.

Lightweight rims make it harder.
    Low spoke count make it harder.
    Super-thin or bladed spokes make it harder.
    Radial or two cross spokes make it harder.
    Alloy nipples make it harder.

I'd like to give it a go with some of the harder stuff at some point, but for a first wheel-build it would be a tough induction. Especially for someone as mechanically inept as yourself. :P

Plus his fat fingers make it much harder to get the nipples into the holes in the rim.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}