13»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Blimey that is some finish!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Awesome finish. I seriously thought he was done when I saw the chain.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,664
    Brilliant! Loved the way he still had a sprint in him when he needed it.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Loved that!! Shouting at the telly; nothing better! Happy days!

-Jerry :)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,835
    I had to watch it again. Unbelievable.
    Though Kirby was going to have an apoplexy.
    An fair advert for no race radio, perhaps?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Kirby's bird watching skills are getting worse."Anyone watching in HD might be able to see the swifts and swallows over the surface of the water. Actually they may be pelicans" :lol:
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Loved that!! Shouting at the telly; nothing better! Happy days!

-Jerry :)

Me too, I don't usually do that but I was so pleased he finally made it.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Just watched it, brilliant.

Even my Mrs who rarely gets excited about cycling was cheering him on with 150M to go.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Anyone else thought that the Eurosport co-commentator Brian Smith (think that's his name) has made very little comment on Gabrovski's performance, as if he's perhaps a bit suspicious? Whenever Kirby mentions Gabrovski, Smith seems to comment on something else. Or am I imagining it?

Brian posts on here now and again and I've had the pleasure of interviewing him too, very genuine bloke and certainly knows his stuff. Kirby gets a little over-excited sometimes and spouts a load of drivel but i'm sure he has a decent enough level of knowledge too. With regards to Gabrovski, as said before, comentators are perhaps better off not being judge and jury. Riders are clean until proven otherwise. Gabrovski has however had a few 'question marks' in the past. Generally you won't hear many comentators talking to much about riders testing possitive or raising question of doubt on a riders performance and for legal reasons also just better not to go there.

On the flip side, Flibbot and Sherbert on ITV do still think Lance Armstrong was clean and just very good, though i'd suggest in the commentry world they would be in the minority. Whenever Harmon, Kelly, Smith et al do the Eurosport commentry for the tour they have very little to say on the 7 time winner, he barely ever crops up in conversation. Flibbot and Sherbert mention him every other sentence.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    On the flip side, Flibbot and Sherbert on ITV do still think Lance Armstrong was clean and just very good, though i'd suggest in the commentry world they would be in the minority. Whenever Harmon, Kelly, Smith et al do the Eurosport commentry for the tour they have very little to say on the 7 time winner, he barely ever crops up in conversation. Flibbot and Sherbert mention him every other sentence.

The primary market for Liggett & Sherwin's commentary, though, is the USA, so they're just catering to the people who pay their wages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,798
    Hell yeah.

Anyone read that article on pro-cycling a few months ago about him? He's had a rough ride.

Good for him. Well deserved.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Hell yeah.

Anyone read that article on pro-cycling a few months ago about him? He's had a rough ride.

Good for him. Well deserved.

Agreed... that was a good feature too...
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    RichN95 wrote:

The primary market for Liggett & Sherwin's commentary, though, is the USA, so they're just catering to the people who pay their wages.

I think Sherwen and Lance were in the same circles with the 7 Eleven team and then Motorola Team involving Jim Ochowicz. They're all old chums from the eighties/nineties.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    By any standards, that was an astounding watch. Absolutely gripping finish and matched by fantastic and infectious commentary. Love cycling!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Stage finish now on Youtube
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232

Yeh that was a quality article. I had him as just another shady character, without even bothering to find out anything about him. Amazing what some people go through but just crack on with it. It painted a harsh reality that these guys have short careers - the best thing they can do is shut up and ride and look for the next result. Felt sorry for the guy but this must feel like a great victory for him.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    What an amazing finish!
    The older I get the faster I was
  • frenchfighter
    LangerDan wrote:

At 9.10, you reckon that is Hoste congratulating?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    LangerDan wrote:

One of my favouride commentaries of any sport ever. Every time I watch it I laugh even louder than the last.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • LeicesterLad
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Yeh that was a quality article. I had him as just another shady character, without even bothering to find out anything about him. Amazing what some people go through but just crack on with it. It painted a harsh reality that these guys have short careers - the best thing they can do is shut up and ride and look for the next result. Felt sorry for the guy but this must feel like a great victory for him.

For anyone who wants to read the pro-cycling article http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/iljo-keisse-from-tragedies-to-triumph
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks for posting LL. A very tough set of experiences to have to go through in a short number of years. And this goes to show how terrible the doping rules are - I hold the UCI in total and utter contempt.

Go Keisse.

17343_391427925262_753320262_104602.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    Only just got around to reading the article. What can I say? What a story but so sad. Bit choked up now... :oops:
  • Pross
    That photo looks odd, it looks like he's going the wrong way around the velodrome!
  • Bloody hell what a story!
    That makes my jumping up and down.screaming him on a little bit more special in my eyes.

I may just have found a new rider to.support :)
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?