My New(ish) Trek 1.1 2011

MarksMintness
MarksMintness Posts: 484
edited September 2012 in Your road bikes
Hi guys,
So I really wanted a proper drop-bar road bike, having trained on a Trek 7.5FX flat-bar road bike for a year or so. After scanning ebay for a few weeks for Boardmans, Defy's and the like I found this Trek 1.1 locally and got it for £300.
It's a 2011 model with barely any use, just a few little chips on the frame.
I absolutely love it, the difference it has made to my riding has been incredible. I have been able to get faster in quite a short space of time and I look forward to getting out on it whenever I can, which is usually at the weekend for an hour or two.
It has surprised me in a number of areas, mostly in the value stakes - the bike seems to be great quality and although it is very entry level (Shimano 2300 throughout, Bontrager kit, aluminium not carbon fork) it rides very well, with everything working smoothly and reliably.
It is actually more comfortable than the 7.5FX which surprised me a lot as it only has an aluminium fork, but all the Bontrager contact points are superb.
It's also really practical, with deep drop brakes for full mudguards and rack mounts in case you fancy doing some touring.
All in all, I love this bike and intend to keep it well into the future as a winter trainer.
Hopefully these pics will work:
7102529851_3cf2a99032.jpg
7102532045_84af957b3a.jpg
7102531403_09eeaeb03f.jpg
6956461998_4f3e38da98.jpg
Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!

Comments

• bouncyboy
    bouncyboy Posts: 25
    Thats a good bike for a good price congratulations :)

Only thing I would say is that your bars seem very high with a large stack of spacers and upturned stem, this might give a top heavy feeling to the bike in corners and crosswind. Perhaps if you lower it a bit you will become more aero so therefore faster and thats what its all about really isn't it?

Otherwise for the price I can't fault it!!

Have fun.
    Bouncy :)

under 16 (A) racer
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I had a 2010 model as my first road bike and loved it. I'd try it with the stem flipped over though, enjoy riding it :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Cheers guys and yep you're right about the cockpit, I have been riding it how it came. It seems comfy but I will try removing a spacer and flipping the stem. It does seem a little high now I've got used to it.
    Cheers
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Nice bike and great value too.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    looks good for the money. you need to finish painting the gate though.

:lol:
  • MarksMintness
    BouncyBoy wrote:
    Thats a good bike for a good price congratulations :)

Only thing I would say is that your bars seem very high with a large stack of spacers and upturned stem, this might give a top heavy feeling to the bike in corners and crosswind. Perhaps if you lower it a bit you will become more aero so therefore faster and thats what its all about really isn't it?

Otherwise for the price I can't fault it!!

Have fun.
    Hi guys, bit of an update. I have noticed I am crouching over the bars a little to get a bit more aero, so taking the advice above I have flipped the stem and removed a spacer. It now looks like the below (no scabby back yard gate in the background now!)
    7149874383_62e7d5ae19_c.jpg
    What do you reckon? Will try and get out tomorrow and see how it feels, I can always whip another spacer out. I've noticed though that the front cables seem to be bunching up a little due to the new geometry? Is this an issue?
    Still can't fault the bike, it's awesome for what it cost me!
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    I've the same bike, which I use for my commute and it bad weather. I slammed the stem right down on the steerer, but now have a stupid stump at the top. I'll chop it a some point.

If your really worried about the cables, you could un-thread the cables trim a some of the outer off the end, re-attached the ferrules, rethread the cables, and Robert is your mothers brothers. Although you'll have to be very carefule not to over do it, otherwise you'll go down the street, try and turn the corner and spear straight off the road with your steering half locked. :lol:

One other thing, if your running on the original Bontrager sport tyres, get some Continental GP4 seasons on, they'll roll much better and will have ten times the grip.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • MarksMintness
    Thanks Nick, that seems like good advice.
    Regarding the tyres, I absolutely agree I'm just wearing the other ones out as they have probably got well less than 1000 miles on them. After that, maybe some GP4000's or some Bontrager R3's...
    I'm not sure if I will 'upgrade' this bike, as it will probably be my only bike I may just do some Planet X wheels, tyres, and maybe a second hand 105 groupset or something like that in the future.
    Cheers!
  • Just replaced stock Bontrager tyres that were looking a bit worn and picking up a few too many punctures for my liking (2 in one day) thought it would be a decent upgrade as well!
    Following some decent advice on this forum I've bought, received and fitted some Vittoria Rubino Pro's with some geet nice red stripes to match the frame and give me increased aero efficiency and extra grip. Marginal gains and all that :lol:
    So above are the old pics, here are the new:
    7972929674_648d655d11.jpg
    7972948624_624b818271.jpg
    Will hopefully be riding to work on them tomorrow so will let you know what I think!
    Cheers
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    They look good and get good reviews.

I know they're not everyones cup of tea, but on the right bike I like coloured tyres. 8)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Well rode the 15 miles to work this morning in a decent time, tyres felt great! The biggest difference I noticed straight away was the consistency in how they feel, and they were more conmfortable as well. The old Bontragers were sometimes wooden feeling, sometimes squashy, very strange to describe but they just felt vague. The Rubino Pro's just feel more alert and direct! Time will tell if they are a better bet! :D
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    I've had the same model since it launched (first proper road bike) and its still going strong, really really happy with it, as you've found once you upgrade the tyres you cant really fault it for the price. I agree with looking to upgrade it to 105 as well, been keeping my eyes open for a while to do the same on the cheap.

Even when I can afford to something flashier (fingers crossed a Domane next year) I'll still hang onto it as a run around.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    Good work - already looking miles better with the stem the right way round and dropped a spacer.
  • Cheers ste, dropped a couple in the end, need to cut steerer prob, but a bit wary. Done bout 60 miles on New tyres and loving them!