how to measure a stem?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
i am not sure how to measure the stem? i don't know what size the one is on currently and could do with one a little longer. i assume you measure "middle length" between handlebars and headset?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    Stems are measured centre to centre.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You measure from the centre of the handlebars to the centre of the steerer along the centre length of the stem.

The "extension" length on this diagram:

stemfit.jpg
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Stem length is measured from the centre of the headset to the centre of the bars. Sorry no fancy diagram to hand. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    thank you, good job i asked! turns out mine is currently 110mm so looking at 120mm, cheers!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Have a look on planet x,they had them for a tenner not so long back
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I am bit confused about the diagram and how to determine the length of my stem, It meseaures 100mm from center of headset to center of bar but has a 7 degrees rise up . Could some one explain what the length of my stem is taking into account the 7 degree rise?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NITR8s wrote:
    I am bit confused about the diagram and how to determine the length of my stem, It meseaures 100mm from center of headset to center of bar but has a 7 degrees rise up . Could some one explain what the length of my stem is taking into account the 7 degree rise?

100mm :wink:

The reach will be slightly less than that but for a 7 degree rise not much less - 98.5mm
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Thanks