Too fat to ride?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I am the first to admit I have put 2 stone in weight on in past 8 months!

I used to ride over 80 miles every week and kept fit, however due to some personal problems I have let myself go and been a couch potato for past 8 months.

No one but myself to blame, however I now want to put things right. However at a massive 238Ib I think I am too heavy to ride my Carbon Scott Pro CR1.

Also I guess the wheels are important. I have Ksyrium elites.

Any advise on type pressure for my weight?

Can anyone advise me if my weight is too heavy to ride a carbon bike?

I guess I could buy a cheap bike to get going some weight off

any help appreciated

Ian

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    No, you're not too heavy to ride the bike. You may want some stronger built wheels depending on what you have as they might be very flexy.

Get out and ride, you'll feel better.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    scott says...

1.2.4 How much weight do your bikes handle?
    In general 110kgs/243lbs are recommended. More details can be found in our general manual. Please note: kids bikes are designed with a combined weight limit of 50kgs/110lbs

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/s ... ng&Weight/

...may be best to avoid hitting sleeping policemen etc. at speed, but otherwise looks like you'll be ok

if you can't find the manual that came with your bike, it'll be available on the website, if in doubt try ask scott...

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/c ... tact/form/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I'd just be careful with the wheels, I read somewhere in another recent thread on here that Ksyrium Elites take weight up to 200lbs, they may be more info on mavic's website.

Good luck getting back to full fittness.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Fit the fattest tyres your frame and forks can accommodate and keep the pressure up as pinch punctures are likely to be your biggest issue. Just don't go bunny-hopping over kerbs and stuff.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Agree that wheels might be the issue. I had a problem breaking spokes myself, until I upgraded to wheels with a 32 spoke pattern (Mavic Open Pro on Hope Hubs) and no problems since.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Swimming or spinning to get the extra weight off then back on the road bike as an incentive, Oh and burn the couch and get rid of the TV, they are not your friends! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • flyer
    Thanks for the advise so far.

Would a hybrid or a mountain bike be stronger for a few months?

Ian
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    I was just thinking the same thing as I got the bottom of this post. Yes, I think a mountain bike would be stronger for a while until you drop some weight. I, myself have put on a stone and a half over the last year. Easily done. Get out there and get some miles in :)
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • flyer
    Are alaminium frames stronger for heavier riders?

Thanks

Flyer
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    19 months i started at 25.3 stone on an aluminium MTB (Cube) then got a Aluminium Cube road bike when I lost some weight. Then I got a Carbon road bike and went from 20 stone to 18, then another carbon bike, now I ride a Scott Addict RC (Carbon) and im 16.5 stone. Ive broken 3 spokes in that time including one last weekend! but it goes in the right direction. I ride 200 miles every weekend and around 100-140 in the weekn when I can. Get out and ride I think the Scott will be fine I would have no concern at 17 stone what so ever. (I got a bit scared when i hit a few bit unseen potholes etc but all was ok. Too many people think carbon is like tissue? If it was they wouldnt make F1 cars out of it. good luck
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Carbon is very strong but it's the wheels that will take any abuse the most. Instead of buying a different bike I'd look at another set of wheels like open pro's.

You can get them at reasonable prices if you shop around and look on eBay.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • si2k2000
    si2k2000 Posts: 61
    The bike should be fine, I weigh more than you, although the weight is going down fast, and have ridden carbon bikes for the last 7 years with no problems. Currently running a Giant TCR Advanced SL and swap the wheels between Ksyrium SLR's and Carbone SLE with no problems (touch wood). As mentioned earlier keep the tyre pressures up and try to avoid pot holes to save from pinch flats.
  • flyer
    Hmmm some good advise.

I am thinking almost 17st is just too heavy for Carbon and Mavic Elites?

Now you have me thinking I should maybe just get out and do some miles rather than buying a hybrid or mountain bike?????

Flyer
  • si2k2000
    si2k2000 Posts: 61
    Exactly. I'm sure the bike will be fine. Start putting the miles in and lay of the pies and it will start dropping off in no time.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    just ride it I think most of the "weight limits" have a built in margin of error for the 99% of the population that apply the 10% rule. If the speed limit is 70 we all do 80 If the limit is 100 kilo then 110 im sure wouldnt hurt im sure most of these things are arse coverign they wont break if you put 1 kilo over the stated maximum I think its more arse covering if somebody for a laugh put a HUUUUGE ammount of weight on it got injured then sued them (obvioulsy the latter would only apply in america)