A question about sag.

Dub L
Dub L Posts: 62
edited April 2012 in MTB general
So I recently bought a new set of Reba's. It took me a while to get them set up but they are now very plush and I am using all of the travel regularly without bottoming out. The only thing I don't understand is the sag. Everybody seems to recommend between 20-30% sag. But my sag is barely even 15%. I was setting the fork using 20-25% and was bottoming the fork out.
So, being a bit of a noob with air forks. Is something wrong or is it a case of if it works, it works?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sag should be 15-20 pc
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    How are you setting the sag?

In the attack position?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • when they get older they start to reach the knees then ankles then drag on the ground :D

but seriously,

you have to be on the bike properly not reaching out and holding onto a wall etc get some one to brace the handlebars when you are on it

what sort of riding are you doing?

15% is fine because you are still getting full travel with no bottom out, so what is the problem?
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • Dub L
    edited April 2012
    I do mainly South Wales trail centre's, Brechfa mostly. I am on the the bike properly. Not in full attack mode though. Yeah I was thinking there was no problem, I'm not even getting 15%. Everything feel's perfect it's just I see everybody talking about getting 20+%.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    nicklouse wrote:

In the attack position?

This sag is not set on a front fork sitting down, but in the attack position...

Now attack puppy attack!
  • Dub L
    edited April 2012
    nicklouse wrote:

In the attack position?

This sag is not set on a front fork sitting down, but in the attack position...

Now attack puppy attack!

I am in the attack position, just maybe not quite as much as if I were on the trails.
  • put a zip tie round the stantion and ride slowly in the attack position, then check how much the zip tie has moved
    worst moment ever...
  • Dub L
    put a zip tie round the stantion and ride slowly in the attack position, then check how much the zip tie has moved
    No need for a zip tie Reba's have an O-Ring.
    Ride slowly? I don't understand that concept. And where I live that would either involve pedaling or braking, both of which would effect my sag, unfortunately. I'm sure everything is A-ok anyway, not to worry.
  • just roll in the attack position simples :wink:
    worst moment ever...