What chain lube please?

mar_k
mar_k Posts: 323
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im off to Evans in a bit to buy some more chain lube,
I have been using Finish line Wet so I now need a Dry lube.

Im thinking of either Finish line Dry or Finish line Ceramic Dry.

As I have no experience of either I am looking to hear from those who have.

Many thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What lube you use is less important than doing it properly, keeping it clean and doing it often.

I
  • mar_k
    What lube you use is less important than doing it properly, keeping it clean and doing it often.

I

I hear you, I am quite anal about keeping the running gear clean and lubed
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Squirt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Squirt.
    Has my vote
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've used at least 6 types in the last 2 years and none seemed significantly different to the other.
  • ^ ditto, although im using squirt atm as others seem to love it and it works
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Tried lots of different lubes got a shelf full of half empty bottles. Got a blue one, a purple one, a white one, a gold one. None of them last long in Pennine sloppy grit but then nothing does. Keep going back to Stihl bio-degradeable chainsaw lube its the same as Green Oil and Pedros lube but about 5 times cheaper.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    As above, Peaks / rain / grit. Wurth high performance dry chain lube (500ml aerosol) for motorbikes, I can't be arsed changing having used them all, and I get better value out of it.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The best I've used in Finish Line Ceramic Wax - but it seems pretty hard to get (in France anyway) - got some Squirt in the cupboard but haven't tried it yet. Looks like the same sort of stuff though - wax based.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I wouldn't bother with wax based stuff, it never seems to last as long as it purports to and costs more in general.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    All winter I've used Muc off wet, but to be honest after every ride its a black mess and I end up cleaning it off and re-lubing. During the dry months (where are they by the way?) I have used Muc off dry, dries almost like wax and works great for me especially when / if the trails go sandy.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • mar_k
    Well I got the Finish Line Dry lube today,
    It caught me a little off guard as it seems so much more runnier than the Wet lube I have been using.

Gonna see how it goes this week on the commute to work
  • I have both Shimano wet and dry lube. Used Finish Line before but I feel the Shimano ones are much better.
    Padyak rider
  • I bought swissoil motorex wet and dry both wax based two years ago still using both cans spray lightly wipe off excess runs clean
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Any old dry lube, applied properly and sufficiently for the conditions, keep chain relatively clean (don't endlessly degrease and thus wash out the oil inside the rollers). Forget wet lubes, even in the wet, benefits are negligible compared to the disadvantages and mess it makes of the chain.

In short, keep it lubed, keep it roughly clean (from dirt, not oil).
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Not tried it, but I like the idea of Green Oil

http://www.green-oil.net/environment.html