Help! Too many bikes

leonr
leonr Posts: 83
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
Ok, basically i'm going to the alps to do some downhill in a few months (ive done a few days before and rented various bikes).

My criteria is basically, must be suitable for 6ft4 person, full suspension, take downhill abuse (although I am quite reserved, no big jumps or anything like that), and ideally be usable for the odd road trip (I know full suspension is not efficient at this, maybe you can lock it?)

Anyway, is there any bikes that people would recommend? I've got it in my head that a Kona Coiler would be pretty good?

I rented a kona stinky last time and it was something like 80e a day! It would make sense for me to get a 2nd hand bike and take it with me?

Cheers!!

Comments

• leonr
    Anthem x5? 100mm travel too little for downhill?
    Trance?
    Kona dawg?

Maybe I posted this in the wrong section :lol: , 56 views and no replies :(
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Where abouts are you going? (in the Alps)

If I could only have one bike over here it would be a Specialized Enduro Evo

Here's a used 'Comp'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Enduro-Comp-FSR-2009-Black-Medium-Mountain-Bike-/150799758557?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item231c5db4dd#ht_930wt_1185

Only 8 days Stinky hire :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • leonr
    Where abouts are you going? (in the Alps)

If I could only have one bike over here it would be a Specialized Enduro Evo

Here's a used 'Comp'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Enduro-Comp-FSR-2009-Black-Medium-Mountain-Bike-/150799758557?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item231c5db4dd#ht_930wt_1185

Only 8 days Stinky hire :wink:

That does look cool 8)

It will be Morzine/Les Gets ,i've only been a few days before (3 days total riding I think), but this time will be for a week so it seems a bit silly to pay all that money to rent a bike when I could try and pick one up second hand!

The other problem is because i'm so tall the choice is limited on ebay, theres tonnes of 17" frames and 'medium' but I think I would need a 18-20" depending on the bike..

By the way, is 100mm travel too small? I like to ride with the shocks set quite soft so my hands/arms don't get shaken to bits.

Thanks!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If you're buying a bike specifically for bike parks in the Alps I'd say get a full-suss with 140-160mm of travel. You'll have more fun and be able to do more stuff.

If it's a bike for the UK that you're gonna bring over here - just get whatever bike suits the riding you'll be doing most at home. If that's a 100mm XC hardtail you'll still have plenty fun with it on the trails over here - well I did last season
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • leonr
    Cool, thats kind of what I was wanting to know actually, suspension travel etc.

I'm not an advanced rider at all, I like a bit of speed and hit a few of the small jumps (more like mounds than ramps) and probably go about 50cm in the air! haha

Would bikes like a Dawg or Boardman Team FS do the job in your opinion? I'm worried about constant abuse on the parts and something braking to be honest.

If it helps, I usually have to stop to let people behind me go past, i'm not confident enough to go too fast on the trails at the moment so sounds like a decent XC would be ok?

Cheers for the advise!