Silly Commuter Track Cycling

Agent57
Agent57 Posts: 2,300
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Had my first ever track session at the National Cycling Centre (Manchester velodrome) today.

As well as being my first time on a velodrome, it was also my first time riding a fixed wheel bike. That took a few minutes to get used to, and the first time I tried to stop I was a litle wobbly. There was one time when I did a sprint, then went to stop pedalling and freewheel to recover - the bike soon reminded me that wasn't an option. :D

It was HUGE FUN! When you stand at the top of the banking looking down, it looks intimidatingly steep, but once you're on the track it's no big deal. The steepness is the same at the bottom as at the top, so if you can ride the banking on the red or blue line, there's not really any reason that you can't ride it higher up - just that it's a longer route so I found it harder work maintaining speed up there.

We started with free riding, and then did one lap time trials. There were about 18 of us; it was a session organised by a colleague, so I knew most people there, and therefore I was most annoyed at coming second in the TT. My lap time was 19.88 seconds, but one guy did 19.69. So close! Still, he had youth on his side, and I'm a fat bastard. I was first amongst the vets though. :D

After that I rode through and off with three other riders for a while. The coach said I was the best of the group. \o/ Mainly because I did the best job of joining the back of the train after swinging off.

A++ would definitely go again, and I wholeheartedly recommend that anyone with an interest in cycling gives the track a go if they have an opportunity. All you Londoners will have no excuse with a spanking new velodrome on your doorstep!
MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)

Comments

• Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I have a couple of Saturdays off work in May, so I'm going to look at the Hearne hill induction days...if it ever stops raining.
    One problem...
    I'm incredibly phobic of going fast downhill. Flats are not a problem, I'll happily sprint into the mid 30s, but downhill... Nay.
    Hopefully my brain will have a positive interpritation of the banks.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Monster fun isn't it.

I must get back into it - need my own bike though as I hate the hire bikes at Newport (only because you can't change the pedals though, they are steel pinarellos and nice otherwise).
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:
    Monster fun isn't it.

I must get back into it - need my own bike though as I hate the hire bikes at Newport (only because you can't change the pedals though, they are steel pinarellos and nice otherwise).

Buy some look cleats: They use Look Delta cleats: Red has *some* float and Black has no float - I think they are a tenner for a pair of cleats.

I am due to go back to it with the club, but awaiting a nightpass!
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    I scalped JZed on the boards at Newport. Bit wierd when you go past on the ourtside, and his head is at your foot level.

Those steel pinarellos are ok for starting out, but they were making by balls go numb after about 15 minutes on the track.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    For those in/near Hertfordshire there is the Welwyn Garden City track. Not sure when the next Induction Saturday is (they've just had 2 on the trot). It might not be boards but it's on my doorstep, great fun and well organised.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    All welcome at 'Preston Park' for fellow southerners...
    if it ever stops raining, Wednesdays from 7pm.
    £8 a pop, or £100 for the full season!

I'm on the (fairly distinctive) pink Visp.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Monday night training at WGC was rained off last night ... I have never seen anyone as disappointed as my son was - he's got the bug! :mrgreen:
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    I scalped JZed on the boards at Newport. Bit wierd when you go past on the ourtside, and his head is at your foot level.

Those steel pinarellos are ok for starting out, but they were making by balls go numb after about 15 minutes on the track.

That's why I bought my own track bike, missus ok'd it too....YES
    I of course lied how much the wheels cost
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14