Giant Contact Switch seatpost

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have one and can't fault it 8) Paid £150 for it which is the same price I paid for my non-remote Joplin :roll:
    My only gripe is that the collar and remote switch only come in blue.
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Is there any left/right play? Thats the only thing that put me off when I rode a mates bike a couple of years ago.

What size was the seat post?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Non as yet but my Joplin has it and when riding you really don't notice it 8)
    The post is 30.9 X 380mm but there's a 400mm one available also.
  • You might be in for a long wait though, my LBS just had the date pushed back to 28 weeks waiting time for these.
  • desmojen
    desmojen Posts: 136
    Mine has a grey collar and clamp and I've been completely happy with it once I changed the cable and lubed the mechanism (the cable seized after the first wet ride). There is a little play, but no more than the Joplin I had beforehand.

Jen.
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Thanks for the replies guys but ive gone and ordered a REverb fron the guy in Israel.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Reverb is far better
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Contact switch is more reliable than the Reverb. Specialized Command post is the best I have tried
  • playasyougo
    playasyougo Posts: 81
    I sent my seatpost back today to my bike shop under warranty as I'm getting about 1/2 inch drop when I sit on the bike. I must have about 5 or 6 rides on it and i got it new for Christmas. It was out of stock so ended up getting it middle of January.

Previous to that there were no major issues although I was annoyed that the box that the seatpost came in says "Anti-twist technology". Coming from the biggest bike maker you would expect the product to be pretty resistant to twisting but mine had play front to back and left to right from new. Not noticeable once riding but, to me, that doesn't appear to be build quality on a product. Also, no mention of how to service or replace components?!

It has been good though but i can see the issues being an ongoing thing as with the majority of other brands. I've still no idea how it appears to be so hard to make a reliable adjustable seatpost that has zero play in it.
    2011 Giant Trance X2 - SOLD
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • Update:

Received the seat post back repaired ( 1 month) which is good but after asking if the repair had a warranty applied to it and if there was anything i could do to keep the seat post in good health and stop any future returns, this is the response i received back.

"Warranty of the product is from original purchase date and is 12 months. The fault is rain water and mud getting into the seat post. Giant suggest a small strip of black electrical tape on the back edge will stop the water going down the seat post when splashing up onto the underside of the seat dripping down."

Here is the seat post with the tape on it. Giant applied this, not me. I received it back repaired like this.

IMG-20120618-00465.jpg

All in, glad it was repaired but disappointing to hear that as soon as the warranty runs out, no matter when it was bought, that's it. So, if your seat post fails a month before warranty ends and it gets repaired, when it's back there is no additional warranty on the unit.

It cost me to return back, there was zero communication about the repair and i had to send an email asking what the issue was and if the repair was covered. This wasn't with Giant directly and really is separate issue with an online dealer the unit was bought from. Just a little moan!
    2011 Giant Trance X2 - SOLD
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Hmm, looks like that tape in the picture is on the front side of the post - which also looks suspiciously like a Crank Bros joplin.